Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,787,198 times

Advertisements

The Middle East is imploding. The dictators propped up by the US and kep in power by pumping money into their economies are falling due to their own greed and corruption.

Egypt, Lebanon, Yemen, Tunisia, Jordan.......all about to be in control of radical Islam. History is repeating itself from the time of Carter and what happened in Iran with the overthrow of the Shah.

Either Obama didn't learn from history and is repeating Carter's mistakes, or, he supports the protestors' overthrow of those governments and what will inevitably become the establishment of Islamic theocracies by the Muslim Brotherhood.

One thing we know is that Obama is above his paygrade as he lectured Egypt like a middle school professor does a group of children. A community organizer in action (and inaction), not a worthy POTUS of the most powerful nation on this earth, is what we have witnessed since the first protests in Iran two years ago.

Did anyone listen to Hillary speak today about the civil liberties that the US wanted Mubarak to return to the people in regard to turning the internet and social networking sites back on? I thought it ironic as this Obama administration wants to tighten the noose on same freedoms through net neutrality, an internet "kill switch" and the fairness doctrine. Did Hillary also not learn from Carter's mistakes? Is she above her paygrade as well? I think so. YMMV.

Somehow I doubt that Obama would be on the side of Americans if they rioted in the streets against his regime/administration. Darn good thing that Americans get to let off such steam every two years in Congressional elections and every four years have the opportunity to overthrow out President via the ballot box or the same thing would have already happened here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,973,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I did a search before posting this thinking there would be a hoard of Egypt threads. I have been listening to the radio for a couple of days and that seems to be all the news is talking about.

Anyway.

I am really shocked at the US involvement in this situation. Obviously we have a great deal at stake (oil), so we do NOT want chaos to ensue which might disrupt oil production or transport.

However, I can see how this situation is going to be a real boon for terrorist recruitment. I mean, the whole problem stems (as nearly as I can tell) with Egypt's growing acceptance of Western lifestyles. Traditional Muslim philosophy is going to be going "tsk tsk" and shaking its finger at Egypt saying...I told you so. I see a HUGE increase in car bombings soon. As extremists fight the influx of western life that appears to making inroads.

Your thoughts, oh fellow CDers????

20yrsinBranson

High unemployment and the high food costs.

That's about the extent of my knowledge.

Now there will be a power vacuum, which radicals will be happy to fill.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Middle East is imploding. The dictators propped up by the US and kep in power by pumping money into their economies are falling due to their own greed and corruption.

Egypt, Lebanon, Yemen, Tunisia, Jordan.......all about to be in control of radical Islam. History is repeating itself from the time of Carter and what happened in Iran with the overthrow of the Shah.

Either Obama didn't learn from history and is repeating Carter's mistakes, or, he supports the protestors' overthrow of those governments and what will inevitably become the establishment of Islamic theocracies by the Muslim Brotherhood.

One thing we know is that Obama is above his paygrade as he lectured Egypt like a middle school professor does a group of children. A community organizer in action (and inaction), not a worthy POTUS of the most powerful nation on this earth, is what we have witnessed since the first protests in Iran two years ago.

Did anyone listen to Hillary speak today about the civil liberties that the US wanted Mubarak to return to the people in regard to turning the internet and social networking sites back on? I thought it ironic as this Obama administration wants to tighten the noose on same freedoms through net neutrality, an internet "kill switch" and the fairness doctrine. Did Hillary also not learn from Carter's mistakes? Is she above her paygrade as well? I think so. YMMV.
I think we need to sit back and see who comes out in power.

Yes.

obama is in over his head.

There's an old saying....."Anyone can steer a ship in calm waters."

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,343,374 times
Revolution in Egypt? I was watching things burning on TV and just figured the Lakers won another championship.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,796,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Somehow I doubt that Obama would be on the side of Americans if they rioted in the streets against his regime/administration. Darn good thing that Americans get to let off such steam every two years in Congressional elections and every four years have the opportunity to overthrow out President via the ballot box or the same thing would have already happened here.
I bet Obama is going to be on the side of the revolutionaries.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,853,061 times
First, the Muslim Brotherhood is not behind this. They are not a serious force in Egyptian politics. However, they could benefit from the political vacuum created by Mubarak and his cronies.

Second, the catalyst to this is 1) the events in Tunisia, 2) 30 years of Mubarak "dictatorship" and 3) a huge and very young population with few opportunities.

Third, there is no doubt that the Administration has been taken by surprise. But, they are between a rock and a hard place. They cannot ditch Mubarak just in case he survives. But, if they don't ditch him and he falls we lose too. So, they are making it up as they go.

Fourth, the Egyptian army is key in this. Latest reports (from the BBC) suggest that they are exrting control of the streets. We don't know which side they will take, however.

Fifth, it is a developing situation and no-one knows what will happen next.

Sixth, lets all blame Obama for keeping Mubarak in power for the last 30 years Alternatively, we can consider whether it has been good policy for the multiple Administrations, Democrat and Republican, to support dictators across the world over the last 60 years.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,417,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Saudi Arabia won't riot. They are extremists. You notice that the majority rioting in Egypt are all men? Why is that? Because they are part of the Muslim brotherhood that view women as less than human. So yep. Egypt will represent a second Saudi Arabia.
You've got a lot to learn and should probably flush out your headgear more often. The people in Saudi Arabia revile their government just as much or more than the Egyptian people and the protesters in the street are just PEOPLE, young and old, but you can bet that those groups banned and oppressed are also lashing out, and rightfully so.

Mubarak helped create what the Shah of Iran created during his decades of rule.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,596,990 times
Quote:
Obama administration wants to tighten the noose on same freedoms through net neutrality
What does net neutrality have to do with limiting people's internet freedoms? Seems like eliminating that policy would do a lot more damage, since it would potentially transfer "kill switch" authority to your ISP over any site or content that the ISP didn't wish to make available to you. Kill switches of any type should be viewed with heavy suspicion.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
First, the Muslim Brotherhood is not behind this. They are not a serious force in Egyptian politics. However, they could benefit from the political vacuum created by Mubarak and his cronies.

Second, the catalyst to this is 1) the events in Tunisia, 2) 30 years of Mubarak "dictatorship" and 3) a huge and very young population with few opportunities.

Third, there is no doubt that the Administration has been taken by surprise. But, they are between a rock and a hard place. They cannot ditch Mubarak just in case he survives. But, if they don't ditch him and he falls we lose too. So, they are making it up as they go.

Fourth, the Egyptian army is key in this. Latest reports (from the BBC) suggest that they are exrting control of the streets. We don't know which side they will take, however.

Fifth, it is a developing situation and no-one knows what will happen next.

Sixth, lets all blame Obama for keeping Mubarak in power for the last 30 years Alternatively, we can consider whether it has been good policy for the multiple Administrations, Democrat and Republican, to support dictators across the world over the last 60 years.
Very good analysis.

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,809,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Except that it's rumored that the Muslim Brotherhood (backed by the US) is behind the uprising. We are trading stability for Islamofascism. I guess we didn't learn our lessons in Iran.
The Muslim Brotherhood is backed by the Obama Administration. Mubarak may be oppressive, but he was like Saddam. Both kept radical Islam from taking root in the government. Egypt will go the same way the Palestinian Authority did, the way Iran did, etc. whenever a secular, yet oppressive, dictator gets overthrown in the Middle East, it is replaced by radical Islam, which is FAR worse. What has "democracy" done for the Iranians?? Traded one dictator, for a crazy "elected" one. Iran is ran by an Islamic Politburo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies