Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

What say you? Additonally, they are like sitting through Baptist church services. C'mon. Let's step into the 21st century, shall we?

Let's not go back to 1935 to look for a solution to addiction issues. We would not treat cancer or diabetes that way. Why addiction?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What say you? Additonally, they are like sitting through Baptist church services. C'mon. Let's step into the 21st century, shall we?

Let's not go back to 1935 to look for a solution to addiction issues. We would not treat cancer or diabetes that way. Why addiction?

I knew you had a bias when I read your post in the other thread. I agree that we should seek as many ways to fight addiction as possible. I believe it's largely a medical problem.

I do not agree, however, that 12 step programs are like (what I presume they are to be, I've never attended one) "Sitting through Baptist Church services". There are many and varied types of meetings, some more traditional than others. But I think you are really misrepresenting it here.

Please describe the similarities for me, as I don't see it.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I knew you had a bias when I read your post in the other thread. I agree that we should seek as many ways to fight addiction as possible. I believe it's largely a medical problem.

I do not agree, however, that 12 step programs are like (what I presume they are to be, I've never attended one) "Sitting through Baptist Church services". There are many and varied types of meetings, some more traditional than others. But I think you are really misrepresenting it here.

Please describe the similarities for me, as I don't see it.
Chapter to the wives. How antiquated can you possibly get?

The whole thing is like one giant Baptist service.

As you've never attended one, maybe you are not the best person to comment on this topic? But, of course, you comments are welcome.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:

I don't know if they are more harmful than helpful, as I am not an addict and thus have never needed intervention. However, I've thought for years that it seems addicts are substituting one addictive behavior for another in many cases. Be it a 12-step program, religion, what have you.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Chapter to the wives. How antiquated can you possibly get?

The whole thing is like one giant Baptist service.

As you've never attended one, maybe you are not the best person to comment on this topic? But, of course, you comments are welcome.
I meant I'd never attended a Baptist Service, not a 12 step meeting.

It's widely accepted that things have changed socially since the Big Book was written.

I'm genuinely curious as how a 12 step meeting for addiction is like a religious service. Do you have any actual specific comparisons?

But as there is no preacher or sermon, I'm kind of confused as to how you can compare the two.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:

Ugh-oh, did someone get a DUI?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Ugh-oh, did someone get a DUI?
No, I never have had a DUI. But that does bring up the whole issue of court mandated AA/NA and how courts have ruled that these programs are religious and a violation of one's rights, against the Constitution, etc.

Plus, "the rooms" are filled with predators, characters of questionable backgrounds abound. We're talking real criminals here with prison histories, etc. Every flavor. I am not talking the women here, rather the men.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I meant I'd never attended a Baptist Service, not a 12 step meeting.

It's widely accepted that things have changed socially since the Big Book was written.

I'm genuinely curious as how a 12 step meeting for addiction is like a religious service. Do you have any actual specific comparisons?

But as there is no preacher or sermon, I'm kind of confused as to how you can compare the two.
Well, the structure right off the bat. One reads the same thing over and over, much like a church service. In the case of the 12 steps, it's the reading at the beginning - you know, the same reading over and over. Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path, blah, blah, blah. In a church, they have structure and similar rituals at the beginning of the service. The "share," is much like a sermon. The whole concept of I am a POS, much like the concept of I am a sinner, the 8th and 9th steps, much like atonement and asking for forgiveness in the church or confession in the Catholic church...you get my drift. It's actually quite easy to compare the two, except in the former (12 step) your chances of running into criminals or screwed up people are normally quite higher than in the church (except maybe the Baptist church).

Last edited by mistygrl092; 01-29-2011 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: word correction

Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
No, I never have had a DUI. But that does bring up the whole issue of court mandated AA/NA and how courts have ruled that these programs are religious and a violation of one's rights, against the Constitution, etc.

Plus, "the rooms" are filled with predators, characters of questionable backgrounds abound. We're talking real criminals here with prison histories, etc. Every flavor. I am not talking the women here, rather the men.
Your right lets send all DUI to prison much better than mandatory help

Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Your right lets send all DUI to prison much better than mandatory help
You are not thinking of the people who VOLUNTARILY are subjected to this criminal element now, are you. And AA does no better than doing nothing in terms of "help."

Ok, at this time of the morning that did not make sense. I am talking about the people who voluntarily attend meetings and have to be subjected to rapists, murderers and thieves sitting alongside them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies