Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM
 
157 posts, read 152,634 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Oh please. No question its cheaper to live in Orlando than Long Island, but 2-3 times is absolutely insane. Its more to COL than just housing costs. Not to mention the fact that the Florida Real Estate market has imploded much worse than LI so someone who bought a home 5 years ago in FL is in MUCH worse shape than someone who bought a home 5 years ago here.

The idea that cops here are underpaid is ludicrous. Cops in Nassau are the highest paid in the entire country.




SJPD
Home
Inside SJPD
Careers/Employment
Community Services
Crime Prevention
Department Information
F.A.Q.
Internal Affairs
Phone Directory
Press Releases
Sexual Assaults/Megans Law
Traffic Enforcement
Organization
Office of the Chief of Police
Bureau of Administration
Bureau of Field Operations
Bureau of Investigations
Bureau of Technical Services
Automated Services
Calls For Service Maps
Contact The Police Department
Documents Online
File a Police Report Online
Graffiti Photo Evidence Upload
Inmate Booking Information
Municipal Code Online
Pay a Parking Ticket Online
Request Traffic Enforcement
Reverse 911 Registration
Sex Offender Search
Traffic Accident Reports
Victim Notification Registration
Reporting
Crime
Recruiting
Join SJPD
Crime Stats.
& Maps
Reports
& Records
Community
Outreach
Volunteer
Opportunities
SJPD » Joinsjpdblue » Salary and Benefits

Join SJPD
Apply Here
Police Recruiting Home
Police Recruit Applicants
Lateral Police Applicants
Out of Area / State Candidates
Hiring Process
Steps to Becoming an Officer
Testing Information
How to Prepare for Testing
Testing and Events Calendar
Background Inquiry Process
The San Jose Police Academy
Field Training Program
Hiring FAQ's
Contact a Recruiter
Qualifications
Military / Veterans
Accredited College Credits
Medical Vision Standards
Police Officer Duties
Salary and Benefits
Plan Your Career
Job Fairs & Recruiting Events
Career Paths / Specialized Units
Ride-Along Information
Early Life Choices / Preparation
Reserve Police Officers
Internships / VOLT Volunteers
PAL Cadets
Related Information
Bureau of Administration
Calls For Service
Mission Statement
Organization Chart
SJPD Beat Building Blocks
Chief's Message (English)
Chief's Message (Español)
Chief's Message (Vietnamese)
Inside SJPD


Salary and Benefits

SALARY:

Academy pay is $33.28 an hour, until sworn in as a police officer
Police officer, starting step 1 salary $80,641
Police officer, ending step 7 salary $116,093
Lateral police officer salary determined by experience, training and education
BENEFITS:

4 day work week, 10 hours a day
5% additional premium pay for certain specialized assignments
Overtime pay assignments
Off-duty secondary employment starting pay of $44.00 an hour
City pays 90% of Kaiser medical plan / 100% dental plan
Domestic partnership benefits
Paid vacation of 80 hours to start, 180 hours maximum
Paid accrued sick leave of 96 hours annually
Up to 100% sick leave cash-out at retirement
Annual uniform allowance of $675.00
Up to 90% of salary for retirement (30 years of service) with 3% annual cost of living increase
PERS retirement reciprocity
Up to four (4) years of retirement buy-in for military experience
Bi-weekly bilingual pay


The above is San Jose PD. Salary higher than Nassau PD. 90% of pay at retirement at 30 yrs as compared to 70% at 32 yrs in Nassau. Plus other beni's Nassau PD does not have. So why don't you stop quoting Newsday and don't just quote from the hip. Nassau is not the highest in the country or on LI. And regarding your quote of Nassau being double and triple Orlanda, if Orlando's base pay is 67,000 and Nassau is 108,000, where do you get your math. If you doubled 67,000 you are not comparing to base pay to base pay, but to a Nassau cop with night dif, holiday and OT. So stop the spinning. Police pay goes by cost of living. The cost of living is very high in Northern California. I am sure there are more high paid depts there and other parts of the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
 
157 posts, read 152,634 times
Reputation: 26
And I just noticed they get a 3% COLA on their pension every year. Wow Nassau is underpaid!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Long Island
56,835 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Reputation: 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
And I just noticed they get a 3% COLA on their pension every year. Wow Nassau is underpaid!!!
I wouldn't use anything in California as a model in efficiency except maybe Maywood.


Tiny Maywood, Calif., laid off every single one of its city employees on Wednesday.But that doesn't mean the city is closing up shop. City Hall will still be open, as will Maywood's park and recreation center. Police will continue to patrol the streets.They just won't be staffed by Maywood employees. The city can't have any staff because it can't get liability or worker's compensation insurance for them. Maywood's carrier, the California Joint Powers Insurance Authority, dropped it earlier this month in part because of several police-related claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 AM
 
157 posts, read 152,634 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I wouldn't use anything in California as a model in efficiency except maybe Maywood.


Tiny Maywood, Calif., laid off every single one of its city employees on Wednesday.But that doesn't mean the city is closing up shop. City Hall will still be open, as will Maywood's park and recreation center. Police will continue to patrol the streets.They just won't be staffed by Maywood employees. The city can't have any staff because it can't get liability or worker's compensation insurance for them. Maywood's carrier, the California Joint Powers Insurance Authority, dropped it earlier this month in part because of several police-related claims.
No one said anything about efficiency. We are talking about BS facts gettin thrown around. And San Jose is not Maywood like Nassau is not Rochester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Long Island
56,835 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Reputation: 15423
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
No one said anything about efficiency. We are talking about BS facts gettin thrown around. And San Jose is not Maywood like Nassau is not Rochester
The only thing that infomation proves on San Jose is that they are just as bad off as Nassau County. Most of the information that has been posted here are hard and fast facts with references back to sources. They may not support your point of view but that doesn't discredit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Long Island
56,835 posts, read 25,771,452 times
Reputation: 15423
Great article by David Pennetta on why companies are leaving the island, its the taxes.


"The decision by the Nassau Interim Finance Authority to seize control of Nassau County's leaky finances anticipates a reset for the county's overall fiscal operations. With any luck, this will begin a right-sizing of the region's public-sector cost structure - a vital exercise in self-discipline already undertaken by so many Long Island households and businesses."


Business needs Nassau to recover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
 
157 posts, read 152,634 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The only thing that infomation proves on San Jose is that they are just as bad off as Nassau County. Most of the information that has been posted here are hard and fast facts with references back to sources. They may not support your point of view but that doesn't discredit them.
You and your cohorts have tried to prove that Nassau is the highest paid PD in the country and receives the best benifits on the planet. So it provesto you to take that down a few noches. Its also been proved that the county tax has hardly been raised and most of your taxes go to schools which you hardly discuss. Whats posted by you guys are facts mixed with myth and that is not called hard and fast truth. Thats called SPIN by a bunch of jealous guys with an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
22,102 posts, read 19,306,500 times
Reputation: 5254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
You and your cohorts have tried to prove that Nassau is the highest paid PD in the country and receives the best benifits on the planet. So it provesto you to take that down a few noches. Its also been proved that the county tax has hardly been raised and most of your taxes go to schools which you hardly discuss. Whats posted by you guys are facts mixed with myth and that is not called hard and fast truth. Thats called SPIN by a bunch of jealous guys with an agenda.
The median base is over $116,000, half the cops on the force make $150,000. SJ police have great benefits as well, but the Nassau benefits even surpass that. Compensation packages for one. The most a San Jose retiring officer took home last year was $534,000. Nassau County has quite a few retiring officers that took home more than that one who took home just shy of $800,000 and two who took home more than $850,000. The amount of cops who took home more than $150,000 is FAR higher in Nassau than in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
 
157 posts, read 152,634 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The median base is over $116,000, half the cops on the force make $150,000. SJ police have great benefits as well, but the Nassau benefits even surpass that. Compensation packages for one. The most a San Jose retiring officer took home last year was $534,000. Nassau County has quite a few retiring officers that took home more than that one who took home just shy of $800,000 and two who took home more than $850,000. The amount of cops who took home more than $150,000 is FAR higher in Nassau than in San Jose.
More spin. Bigger dept here. Plus much of that high payment was for a one time payout on vacation sick etc. I would much rather have 90% of 150,000 with a 3 % cola every years than the big payout of which half goes to the govt. So PLEASE stop spinning . So there are better jobs out there where the cost of living is high. So keep dreamin of Nassau Cops making Mississippi money. Not happening. But you can dream. I am dreaming of my new winter house in Florida, but thats gonna be real
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
22,102 posts, read 19,306,500 times
Reputation: 5254
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
More spin. Bigger dept here. Plus much of that high payment was for a one time payout on vacation sick etc. I would much rather have 90% of 150,000 with a 3 % cola every years than the big payout of which half goes to the govt. So PLEASE stop spinning . So there are better jobs out there where the cost of living is high. So keep dreamin of Nassau Cops making Mississippi money. Not happening. But you can dream. I am dreaming of my new winter house in Florida, but thats gonna be real
Yes, and much of that payout for the $534,000 retiring officer was for vacation and sick leave payout as well. Those payouts are just much higher here.

As far as the $150,000 level and the amount of officers, I took that into consideration. Not only in the amount, but as far the % of the force as well.

Not to mention neither I or anyone else here have said Nassau cops should make Mississippi $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top