Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM

32,817 posts, read 19,351,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
San Jose did have cutbacks in pay last year, not sure if the recruiting site reflects that, if you go through the SJ website which I linked earlier, its pretty clear that the median base salary is a shade under $108,000. Which is compared to a shade over $116,000 for the median base salary for Nassau.

As far as the comparison to Buffalo, I'm not saying that Nassau cops should be paid the same as Buffalo or anything like that, of course they should be paid quite a bit more. I'm using that to show why you can't compare the state as a whole to other states.

You mention Brick with the median salary of $121,177 notice its median salary not median base, which means it includes OT. Nassau's median base is z little over $116,000 with a median overall salary of just below $150,000. The HIGHEST in the country. Nassau does have one of the highest COL's in the country, 10th highest county as far as income goes (7th highest with a population over 250,000), I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be paid well. Of course they should, but they are the highest paid in the country. And with the current financial problems the county is in everyone needs to make sacrifices, to get the county back in fiscal shape, that includes taxpayers as well as those on the county payroll (the VAST MAJORITY of the highest paid on the county payroll are cops). The continuation of handouts to the PBA by the GOP (the latest being the compensation cap removal by Mangano) needs to stop. The county just can't afford it.

oh come on

the county spend more on entitlements than the cops

that mechanic fixing your Lexus makes 6 figures...and you are worried about a cops salary???

the PA (public affairs person) for the town makes 6 figures..amd you are worried about what a cop makes???

the garbage man makes more than the figure you quote for median
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM

22,100 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh come on

that mechanic fixing your Lexus makes 6 figures...and you are worried about a cops salary???

the PA (public affairs person) for the town makes 6 figures..amd you are worried about what a cop makes???

I don't drive a Lexus.....

As far as the county officials go, the highest paid are virtually all cops. Despite being 1/4 of the county workforce, cops made up the top 6 income earners in Nassau in 2010 (without even including retirement packages),m 67 of the top 70 were cops, 114 of the top 120 were cops, 225 of the 250 highest paid in the county workforce are cops. You see where this is going? They make more than everyone else.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
oh come on

He owns his own business and takes all the risks inherent with that.

Whose garbage man? Not where I live.

PS: I am MUCH more concerned with school superintendants, administrators and unionized school teachers because they eat up the lion's share of MY property tax bill. While I think the cops in Nassau are overcompensated and also DAMN LUCKY they are policing Long Islanders instead of Detroit or something, to me their costs are much less of a problem.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

PS: I am MUCH more concerned with school superintendants, administrators and unionized school teachers because they eat up the lion's share of MY property tax bill. While I think the cops in Nassau are overcompensated and also DAMN LUCKY they are policing Long Islanders instead of Detroit or something, to me their costs are much less of a problem.
yes where you live

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...t-12-30-09.doc

where even "messengers" make 90k

Quote:
A messenger’s salary range in 2008 would have been between $21,917 and $38,871; however, the employee received a salary of $93,662 in 2008.
Quote:
Other examples cited in the audit included the District’s secretary. Her Civil Service title was also “Messenger,” but her duties actually were more in line with a “Clerk I” title, a competitive title that requires an exam. Her base salary was $96,854 in 2008, much more than a Nassau County Clerk I title salary range of $22,711-$40,970.
the problem isnt the cops...its the suozi cronyism

here is the question

If a NYC garbage man's base pay is $70,000 and proabably makes alot more with two man trucks and OT why is it you think cops are overpaid.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

i agree on 2 out of 3

but the teachers are not overpaid....its the admin

bigger government....bigger costs

typical government beuracracy...10 chiefs to 5 indians

Its like samsh,,he keeps posting a 'median of 150k for the police...median means 50/50...its a middlepoint...50% make more..and 50% make less...and that's ALL police.. chiefs, cpt, sgt, det, AND PO

the PO top salary is 108k after 8 YEARS ON THE JOB..(.most civilians never complete 8 years with one company)

Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
yes where you live

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...t-12-30-09.doc

where even "messengers" make 90k.
Actually, no. I live in a Village and they have their own sanitation department. I looked up the Village payroll on seethroughny.com and the top salary was $114K and that was for the Village Clerk. Our library director is making $84K. People like the Village Trustees (9K, 12K) and the Village Justice (23K) made very little for their PT jobs compared to the eyepopping stuff in your link about Nassau. Since all the employee job titles were listed as "NDR" I could not tell who were garbagemen. However, judging from the top salary and how most of the payroll was well under $100K, I would say they are not doing as well as the rates of pay Nassau County employees have helped themselves to. Could my Village actually not be corrupt? Ah who knows, but the Mayor (recently deceased) was really a good old guy who was definitely no money hog.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 AM

157 posts, read 152,606 times
Quote:
Nassau has the highest paid cops in the U.S and that has been displayed and proved. As both seethroughny & the SJ website shows, Nassau cops were making more $$$$ than the San Jose cops. The average cops in NJ and CA do make more than the average cops in NY, but the Nassau County police make more $$$ than any dept in NJ or Cali.

Mangano did not do the compensation cap for hos own benefit to get high paid cops off the street, that is the way he tried to portray it to the public, but it was done in order to give the PBA yet another handout from the GOP.
Any? So you have looked up evey dept in NY and Cali. As I posted before base pay a pension is MORE on SJPD. OT is because of arrest and min manning . Case closed. Your opinion is the same as Newsdays. Plenty of depts that make more than Nassau. on LI, in NJ and out on Cali.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Nassau has the highest paid cops in the U.S and that has been displayed and proved. As both seethroughny & the SJ website shows, Nassau cops were making more $$$$ than the San Jose cops. The average cops in NJ and CA do make more than the average cops in NY, but the Nassau County police make more $$$ than any dept in NJ or Cali.

Mangano did not do the compensation cap for hos own benefit to get high paid cops off the street, that is the way he tried to portray it to the public, but it was done in order to give the PBA yet another handout from the GOP.
Your Mangano anylisis is ludicrous and ridiculous and makes anytjing you post not credible

Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I don't drive a Lexus.....

As far as the county officials go, the highest paid are virtually all cops. Despite being 1/4 of the county workforce, cops made up the top 6 income earners in Nassau in 2010 (without even including retirement packages),m 67 of the top 70 were cops, 114 of the top 120 were cops, 225 of the 250 highest paid in the county workforce are cops. You see where this is going? They make more than everyone else.
Who care what you drive! Just shows your a jealous person. Go get a real job!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Half of the cops in Nassau have policed NYC or Bagdad. A cop can get killed anywhere. Your post is also ludicrous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies