Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yes, and much of that payout for the $534,000 retiring officer was for vacation and sick leave payout as well. Those payouts are just much higher here.

As far as the $150,000 level and the amount of officers, I took that into consideration. Not only in the amount, but as far the % of the force as well.

Not to mention neither I or anyone else here have said Nassau cops should make Mississippi $$$.
oh please

tyhat was not as police OFFICER..it was a captain

big difference there smash

and even if it was...would YOU, want to DENY a person who AFTER THIRTY YEARS saved up that amount of vacation/sick..........would/have you even worked at a SINGULAER place for 20 or 30 years.....

these men have DEDICATED their lives to the PROTECTION of you and you dis them because they are decently paid....why????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
You and your cohorts have tried to prove that Nassau is the highest paid PD in the country and receives the best benifits on the planet. So it provesto you to take that down a few noches. Its also been proved that the county tax has hardly been raised and most of your taxes go to schools which you hardly discuss. Whats posted by you guys are facts mixed with myth and that is not called hard and fast truth. Thats called SPIN by a bunch of jealous guys with an agenda.
No one ever stated the cost of NCPD is more than the school but that is due to the higher number of teachers and you will find that most here are in fact critical of school budgets. NCPD, SCPD have some of the top salaries in the nation, I don't care if you can pull out 1 or 2 examples they are at the top. The county tax has been raised in the past and its's not only the real estate tax, you are ignoring the sales tax and many other taxes that go to fund the police and other county employees.

The pecking order in salaries that need to be reigned in are school administrators, Police, and lastly school teachers that are a distant 3rd from police and administrators although they consume a lions share of real estate taxes.

The median salary for school teachers is somewhere in the $80-90K with a masters degree while police get $150K for 32 credits. Teachers pay for their health plan and get no uniform allowance.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No one ever stated the cost of NCPD is more than the school but that is due to the higher number of teachers and you will find that most here are in fact critical of school budgets. NCPD, SCPD have some of the top salaries in the nation, I don't care if you can pull out 1 or 2 examples they are at the top. The county tax has been raised in the past and its's not only the real estate tax, you are ignoring the sales tax and many other taxes that go to fund the police and other county employees.

The pecking order in salaries that need to be reigned in are school administrators, Police, and lastly school teachers that are a distant 3rd from police and administrators although they consume a lions share of real estate taxes.

The median salary for school teachers is somewhere in the $80-90K with a masters degree while police get $150K for 32 credits. Teachers pay for their health plan and get no uniform allowance.
and nassau and suffolk have some of the lowest crime rates in america too

sorry, but you guys are barking up the wrong tree...if you are compaining about the county budget...its not the cops or the teachers.........

what do you want...private (since evey example of other jobs that pay even better than cops you say "it not my tax dollars that pay those") police force???? that would go over real great... police by the highest bidder.......you think police costs are high now..go ahead privatize...this way you can have a monthly bill

my county tax (of which police is a small part) is about a 1/3rd of what the town tax (mostly school) is

I have lived in other parts of the country (I sent 25 years in the military, and I lived off post) for example:

I lived in N. the taxes (both a county and a town/city) are lower......but...

you also pay a property tax on your vehicles
you also pay through your town, a garbage/recycle bill...and rent THIER refuse cans

long island is expensive...you want good cops, that can afford to live on the iland they protect..you need to pay them a good salary....a single person can buy a house unless they are making 100k or more (to qualify for a mortgage you need to make a certain amount to QUALIFY for that mortgage(a 400k (the average house on LI) is a mortage payment of over 3200 a month...since tha number souldnt be more than 30% of your monthy salary, that means JUST TO QUALIFY for a 400k mortgage you NEED to be makeing AT LEAST 9k-10k a month....120k a year...........................nuff said

Last edited by workingclasshero; 02-15-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

tyhat was not as police OFFICER..it was a captain

big difference there smash

and even if it was...would YOU, want to DENY a person who AFTER THIRTY YEARS saved up that amount of vacation/sick..........would/have you even worked at a SINGULAER place for 20 or 30 years.....

these men have DEDICATED their lives to the PROTECTION of you and you dis them because they are decently paid....why????
I was comparing similar situations. The San Jose comparison was brought up, so I looked at the top pay and compensation for the top of each Dept. Both Nassau County and San Jose had retiring chiefs. The retiring chief in San Jose took home over 1/2 million $$, which is a ton of $$, however not even close to the retiring chiefs in Nassau which took home well over $800,000 thats a farce.

No one is saying cops shouldn't be paid well, but a level of excess certainly exists, and it is evident.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:

sorry, but you guys are barking up the wrong tree...if you are compaining about the county budget...its not the cops or the teachers.........

what do you want...private (since evey example of other jobs that pay even better than cops you say "it not my tax dollars that pay those") police force???? that would go over real great... police by the highest bidder.......you think police costs are high now..go ahead privatize...this way you can have a monthly bill

my county tax (of which police is a small part) is about a 1/3rd of what the town tax (mostly school) is

I have lived in other parts of the country (I sent 25 years in the military, and I lived off post) for example:

you also pay through your town, a garbage/recycle bill...and rent THIER refuse cans

long island is expensive...you want good cops, that can afford to live on the iland they protect..you need to pay them a good salary....a single person can buy a house unless they are making 100k or more (to qualify for a mortgage you need to make a certain amount to QUALIFY for that mortgage(a 400k (the average house on LI) is a mortage payment of over 3200 a month...since tha number souldnt be more than 30% of your monthy salary, that means JUST TO QUALIFY for a 400k mortgage you NEED to be makeing AT LEAST 9k-10k a month....120k a year...........................nuff said

You need to stop making things up. You do not need $120,000 to buy a house on Long Island. The mortgage payment on a $400,000 home is not $3,200 unless you have awful credit.

Again no one is saying cops shouldn't be paid well, but the excess needs to stop. The county quite simply can't afford to give almost half the cops on the force in excess of $150,000. The county simply can't afford to have costs + benefits in excess of $200,000 per cop. The county simply can't afford to have retiring chiefs walking away with in excess of $800,000 in addition to six figure pensions. Something needs to give.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 AM

157 posts, read 153,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Why don't you stop repeating the same thing over and over. Get some new material. I see no use to respond to your nonsense which you must have on a copy and paste. If you want my reaction look back to your similair post with my response

Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
You need to stop making things up. You do not need $120,000 to buy a house on Long Island. The mortgage payment on a $400,000 home is not $3,200 unless you have awful credit.

Again no one is saying cops shouldn't be paid well, but the excess needs to stop. The county quite simply can't afford to give almost half the cops on the force in excess of $150,000. The county simply can't afford to have costs + benefits in excess of $200,000 per cop. The county simply can't afford to have retiring chiefs walking away with in excess of $800,000 in addition to six figure pensions. Something needs to give.
The mortgage co. takes all expenses into consideration. School tax bill?? Of course the small county tax you complain of. And all the other bills, gas,oil,phone, cable, electric etc etc.
And stop the spin of $200,000 per cop. Are you a Newsday employee to,. Because there are "some" that make $200,000 that is not "per" cop

Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
The median base is over $116,000, half the cops on the force make $150,000. SJ police have great benefits as well, but the Nassau benefits even surpass that. Compensation packages for one. The most a San Jose retiring officer took home last year was $534,000. Nassau County has quite a few retiring officers that took home more than that one who took home just shy of $800,000 and two who took home more than $850,000. The amount of cops who took home more than $150,000 is FAR higher in Nassau than in San Jose.
More Spin. You should change your name to Spin255. Because a "few" cops made $800,000 in their last year "only" does not mean that NCPD surpasses SJPD beni's. First of all you wrote took home. You take home about half of that. And if I was one of the $800,000 cops of which may be $600, 000 was the paid for sick time etc. and he took home $300,000 after taxes , I would trade that all in for 20% more pension with a 3% cola. So with SJPD salary being more , the pension percentage being higher and cola ( NY has a joke COLA 0-3% of first $18,000) how can you say that NCPD has better beni's. I know how , just keep spinning reality

Old 02-16-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:

They want cops to live in a housing project. May be they could have barracks with a dining hall and pay them nothing. Goodnight keeps bringing up 32 credits. Most cops have 4 yr degrees and/or served in the military like you and I. These complainers wouldn't make it a week in boot camp

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Where is it written that the taxpayer needs to pay police enough to support a $400K mortgage. Once again you are ignoring the median wage salaries on the island that is around $50-60K. How does the average taxpayer survive???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies