Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
You had a problem with crime stats. Now these stats are perfect. You pick and chose whats good for you. Hey pal my pension is gonna be more than you make. And I am getting another govt job with my vet pts. So I guess your gonna have nightmares tonight ,huh?
Anyone with some degree of common sense can see that we can't sustain these type of salaries. Companies are leaving long island because of the high taxes. Paying police an average of $140K while the median wage earner is on long island makes around $60K is the definition of insanity, those pesky statistics keep getting in the way. Give the union credit, they have done their job only to well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 AM

157 posts, read 153,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Am I better than person? That doesn't even make any sense. Anyway this has nothing to do with one or the other being better than the other.

My point about the salaries being out of line is the fact that Cops salaries do not come close to matching up to median income in the region.

I have no problems with Cops (my Uncle is a retired NYC cop), I have no problems with paying cops well. However, I do not think the median base salary should be $116,000. I do not think half the cops on the force should be making $150,000 or more. I do not think we should have uncapped compensation for retiring officers, especially when cops have 18-26 sick days Annually.

The handouts the Republicans have given the PBA (whether it was Purcell, Gullotta, and the latest Mangano by removing the compensation caps) needs to end. We can't afford it period.
I am gonna tell you for the last time. Median income is BS. $150,000 grand is for cops who make OT making lots of arrest and court or short roll call. The other over $150,000 is for detectives with lots of arrest and Sgts and above at top pay. So to stop that you need no arrest and more cops that would be here in the winter when they are not needed. Most short roll call OT is in the summer and holidays when other cops are on vacations. So that saves money by not have more cops and beni's when not needed. So you are more all about that a cop is not good enough to make that salary , and that you are better than that. Come off you high horse pal. And by they way salaries are not goin down. Your best shot is a NIFA freeze and a hardball contract for 2016. What you can't afford is the 60% of your bill from schools. Teachers deserve what they make so cut the fat there. The PD has cut 100's of PO positions. The other 20% is town taxes and the county tax is 20% of which the PD is a portion of that. I think you are actually getting a good deal for your money. Well gotta go make some OT " Have a nice day"

Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Am I better than person? That doesn't even make any sense. Anyway this has nothing to do with one or the other being better than the other.

My point about the salaries being out of line is the fact that Cops salaries do not come close to matching up to median income in the region.

I have no problems with Cops (my Uncle is a retired NYC cop), I have no problems with paying cops well. However, I do not think the median base salary should be $116,000. I do not think half the cops on the force should be making $150,000 or more. I do not think we should have uncapped compensation for retiring officers, especially when cops have 18-26 sick days Annually.

The handouts the Republicans have given the PBA (whether it was Purcell, Gullotta, and the latest Mangano by removing the compensation caps) needs to end. We can't afford it period.
That's one thing they don't want to hear. Everyone else (excluding Wall St. titans, CEOs, and politicians because I know they will be brought up to distract from THIS ISSUE) has to sacrifice in this economy, but not them.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
I am gonna tell you for the last time. Median income is BS. $150,000 grand is for cops who make OT making lots of arrest and court or short roll call. The other over $150,000 is for detectives with lots of arrest and Sgts and above at top pay. So to stop that you need no arrest and more cops that would be here in the winter when they are not needed. Most short roll call OT is in the summer and holidays when other cops are on vacations. So that saves money by not have more cops and beni's when not needed. So you are more all about that a cop is not good enough to make that salary , and that you are better than that. Come off you high horse pal. And by they way salaries are not goin down. Your best shot is a NIFA freeze and a hardball contract for 2016. What you can't afford is the 60% of your bill from schools. Teachers deserve what they make so cut the fat there. The PD has cut 100's of PO positions. The other 20% is town taxes and the county tax is 20% of which the PD is a portion of that. I think you are actually getting a good deal for your money. Well gotta go make some OT " Have a nice day"
Median income is not bs. It just compares what cops make to the rest of the county. Fact is the average cop alone (without even taking a spouse's salary into consideration) is in the top 25%. That is insane.

Schools are an issue as well, we need a major overhaul, especially as far as the administrators are concerned. Huge waste there as well, but its a separate issue entirely, as the County has no control over it.

Fact of the matter is the county is in poor financial shape. We are facing a deficit. A deficit caused by tea party style governing combined with the very same tea partiers and their supporters giving massive handouts to the PBA, removing compensation caps and all that crap. This stuff has to end. In order to get the fiscal shape of the county back into control we need to raise taxes, we also need to get some of the bloated contracts, especially with the PBA back into control. The county can't afford not to.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Median income is not bs. It just compares what cops make to the rest of the county. Fact is the average cop alone (without even taking a spouse's salary into consideration) is in the top 25%. That is insane.

Schools are an issue as well, we need a major overhaul, especially as far as the administrators are concerned. Huge waste there as well, but its a separate issue entirely, as the County has no control over it.

Fact of the matter is the county is in poor financial shape. We are facing a deficit. A deficit caused by tea party style governing combined with the very same tea partiers and their supporters giving massive handouts to the PBA, removing compensation caps and all that crap. This stuff has to end. In order to get the fiscal shape of the county back into control we need to raise taxes, we also need to get some of the bloated contracts, especially with the PBA back into control. The county can't afford not to.

If you can access Newsday they have the detailed information on 1,103 reocrds of those that exceed the $150K threshold. I assume the total earnings includes the sick leave buyout. Seems like well over half were running up over $50K in overtime, even captains were making OT. Some on the low of base salary in the $80's were making well over $100K.

Some that took the buyout had base salaries of less than $80K but over $300K of total compensation while others that did not retire had Total Compensation well over their base salary and overtime. It's pretty close to the seethroughNY site but has more detail. When you throw in the fringe benefits and the fact that pay nothing into the retirement system you're talking some rather onerous taxpayer funding.

The other part of this is that around 125 took the buyout so now they are having difficulty covering some shifts as there are contract agreements.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If you can access Newsday they have the detailed information on 1,103 reocrds of those that exceed the $150K threshold. I assume the total earnings includes the sick leave buyout. Seems like well over half were running up over $50K in overtime, even captains were making OT. Some on the low of base salary in the $80's were making well over $100K.

Some that took the buyout had base salaries of less than $80K but over $300K of total compensation while others that did not retire had Total Compensation well over their base salary and overtime. It's pretty close to the seethroughNY site but has more detail. When you throw in the fringe benefits and the fact that pay nothing into the retirement system you're talking some rather onerous taxpayer funding.

The other part of this is that around 125 took the buyout so now they are having difficulty covering some shifts as there are contract agreements.
All you read is BS stats. Stats you don't like you call BS. Captains that were listed for OT were Captains that retired and they paid OT from yrs they were not Capts that was banked. Keep reading the BS pal. I know the real deal and what part of the public is all about. All I can say is Bloomberg is even worse than Mangano when it comes to lying ect

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
All you read is BS stats. Stats you don't like you call BS. Captains that were listed for OT were Captains that retired and they paid OT from yrs they were not Capts that was banked. Keep reading the BS pal. I know the real deal and what part of the public is all about. All I can say is Bloomberg is even worse than Mangano when it comes to lying ect
Thanks for explaining the captains but it was a minor point only a few thousand. The so called BS statistics came from the Nassau County Comptrollers Office by the way. I should trust your sources, please post your extensive research here so we can all see it. I didn't think you would have any factual comments on the other issues. What did you come up with for a median salary, have you changed your opinon yet that"only a few cops make over $100K"? Maybe you can come up with a more meaningful dialogue other than BS.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Thanks for explaining the captains but it was a minor point only a few thousand. The so called BS statistics came from the Nassau County Comptrollers Office by the way. I should trust your sources, please post your extensive research here so we can all see it. I didn't think you would have any factual comments on the other issues. What did you come up with for a median salary, have you changed your opinon yet that"only a few cops make over $100K"? Maybe you can come up with a more meaningful dialogue other than BS.
When did I say a few make over 100K. How many donuts did you make this morning Mr Spin Zone

Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM

The Mangano admin is spinning everything. So whats your point that its a govt agency. You have a problem with crime stats from a govt agency. As usual you pick and chose what to post and believe as most libs do. Are you a libby? You dismiss facts that don't back your claim. You hijack threads into police pay threads all the time. As a matter of fact I will let the moderator know that this thread is off topic and should be closed

Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
The Mangano admin is spinning everything. So whats your point that its a govt agency. You have a problem with crime stats from a govt agency. As usual you pick and chose what to post and believe as most libs do. Are you a libby? You dismiss facts that don't back your claim. You hijack threads into police pay threads all the time. As a matter of fact I will let the moderator know that this thread is off topic and should be closed
Youy are right about one thing. The Mangano admin is spinning everything. That spinning includes the massive PBA handouts that were given out by the Mangano administration when he removed the compensation caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies