Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgender people be allowed to join the U.S. Military?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 44 53.01%
Not sure 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
WHAT. A lot!
I really hate that gays and lesbians get grouped up with these people. It's NOT the same at ALL. Hate this GLBT nonsense. The G, the L, and even the B stand for sexual preference. The T is about feeling and becoming the opposite sex.

VERY different...

But, to answer the topic.. if they go through procedures and have a sex change and are legally/officially that gender, then yes.
I agree on all counts, especially LGB being completely irrelevant to T.

If the person is officially male or female, who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:53 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
NO! Transgenders are weirdos. No way do I want people who can't even identify whether they're male or female to be serving our country. They seem to have some sort of a psychological issue or disorder.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
The abounding ignorance.

Being transgendered is different from one's sexuality. A transgendered person, like everybody else, can be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or even asexual. Awhile ago a posted a thread about the first two transgendered judges in the US. Both underwent male-to-female surgery. Both have wives. In one case the transgendered judged had married his wife in 1972 and then had the surgery in 1976 - they're still married. Also, a small logging town in Oregon recently elected the first transgendered mayor - also male to female. The mayor's wife was supportive of the decision to have the gender reassignment surgery.

Also, many people we call transgendered are in fact intersex - neither male nor female, but biologically an intermediate sex. Intersex human beings are about as common as red headed human beings. Just another perfectly normal and natural variant of human.

As to crossdressing, that also says nothing about ones sexuality. Most male cross dressers are heterosexual males who just happen to be a bit more feminine (the male equivalent of a tomboy).

Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I guess it is assumed if you don't care then you would not partake in the poll. Thus by not voting you have in effect checked the "who cares' box.
I guess my point was...just another thread...get my drift?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The abounding ignorance.
I usually recoil at someone calling out people as ignorant-although I admit I have done it myself.
But in this case I might cop to it. Or maybe more specifically a lack of education. ADmittedly the transgender world is one I am not knowledeable about. And frankly it all seems a bit distasteful to me so I have never really had the desire to learn more.

But I have read about people who are born neither male not female without the identifiying genitalia. I can understand this and feel bad for these people. But it seems the transgender people who make the news are the ones that go through surgery to have their sex changed.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I am sure the best and the brightest will leave the military and what we will have left will be a military of people with mental health issues and people that can find no other means of employment.
Just another part of the grand scheme to destroy this country. Take the finest military in the world and turn it into a social engineering experiment.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Transgender Vets Want Military Access

Just when you thought the debate over sexual minorities in the military was over...
OH HELL NO!!! I KNEW it would come to this! I KNEW it wouldn't be long until other freaks infiltrated our military!!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
OH HELL NO!!! I KNEW it would come to this! I KNEW it wouldn't be long until other freaks infiltrated our military!!
"Other" freaks? You mean, in addition to gays?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM

344 posts, read 462,468 times
Only if they agreed to get permanently stationed in Somalia or some place like that.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
ANYONE should be able to serve their country... PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies