Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgender people be allowed to join the U.S. Military?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 44 53.01%
Not sure 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times

Advertisements

Must be tough to decide what to mark when the form asks for gender/sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
As a veteran, I realize that gays have served faithfully in the military performing their duties without fail and pratically unnoticed. Transgendered folks with their own internal issues (trapped in wrong sex bodies) would be more of a distration than anyone simply trying to hide their sexuality thus causing more problems. Personally I really don't think that this is a problem since like I mentioned before, they have other more pressing things to worry about than joining the military

Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you have no problem seeing a man in the military wearing a skirt and heels and a purse ?
Thanks for making me laugh!!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I find it hard to believe a man who feels he is the wrong gender would even want to join the military. I would think he would want to get more in touch with his feminine side so to speak

But the big question is this; currently are transgender citizens not allowed to join the military?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 PM

172 posts, read 414,471 times
I say yes. The uniform is gender neutral anyway.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And it would be ok with you to see the military in dress uniform..guys with skirts on and heels and carrying a purse ?
Why not? Klinger from M*A*S*H wore women's clothing and he was fine. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You know.

People who are out of the norm.

Definition of NORMAL

: occurring naturally <normal immunity>

Any more questions?
I believe some would say that transgenderism occurs naturally. Therefore, it could be argued that it's normal to be transgendered.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I had to give this some thought before coming up with a response ( I know that is a rare characteristic on C-D but I thought I would give it a try).
Why do you bother if CD is so beneath you?

Quote:
But before I give you folks my thoughts:

Private Albert D.J. Cashier,

formerly known as Jennie Irene Hodgers, a private in the Army of the Tennessee who served under U.S. Grant and served at the siege of Vicksburg and the Red River Campaign. Captured once, escaped by overpowering his/her guard.

Albert Cashier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So what? Did she go through boot camp? Have to pick a bathroom to pee in/shower in? Buy a box 'o tampons at the commissary? Or did she pee and #2 in a hole she dug? Like the rest of them? Easier to hide it. She's no example for what today's transgendered want, and that's "HI! I'M TRANSGENDERED! Like it or I'll SUE you!"

Quote:
Back to the issue at hand. My opinion is that a transexual who has undergone sexual reassignment surgery should be free to join the U.S. military. The reason why I say it is o.k. for post operative transexuals is because much of the literature that I have read suggest that pre-op transexual suffer from a disproportional level of clinical depression and a number of lesser psychological issues as they attempt to come to grips with their sexual identity which seems quite understandable to me.
Which has nothing to do with how post-op's get along after their surgery.

And joining the military post-op is going to do what? Prove what to whom and help whom? Other than themselves or some transgendered "movement"?

How many post-op 20-somethings are there? How many can afford the surgery and then think, "Golly Gee! I want to join the US Military?" Why would that be, other than to prove some point and raise havoc?

There is none.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why not? Klinger from M*A*S*H wore women's clothing and he was fine. I don't see what the problem is.
But Klinger wasn't serious.

He was trying to get OUT of the military, not in.

That's the diff.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wow. You are really looking something that is not there.
No I am not and I find it interesting that you are trying to insinuate something here. Very poor taste.
I asked you a very simple question.
You said and I quoted that ANYONE should be able to serve their country. PERIOD.

And I asked you if you mean anyone then criminals, the mentally ill, and weak should be able to serve. You said ANYONE PERIOD.

But now, you are inserting qualifiers. That is not what you initally stated. So you have changed your mind in the last few minutes.

According to your initial statement that anyone should be able to serve then you condone criminals serving. But I did not equate transgender people to criminals and for you to take this grand leap makes me think you are either simply looking to start a controversy or to smear someone who disagrees with you. Very unethical. Either that or flawed immature comprehension skills.
ANYONE should be able to serve their country, Serving in the armed forces isn't the only way you can serve your country, A criminal serves their country through community service that is given to them by the courts..
So I stand by what I said,
But you wanted to point out the flaw, and were initially guilty of what you accuse me of by even bringing up criminals and mentally ill in eluding to just the armed forces. This begs the question, where do you draw your lines on who is acceptable in the armed forces then? I mean if transgendered people aren't acceptable by YOUR standards.. WHY??? YOU are in the position to say why, not just use OTHER examples. When you do that it makes you sound like you are comparing the two.

So.... WHY WOULD YOU SAY NO TO TRANSGENDERED PEOPLE SERVING IN THE ARMED FORCES??? I'd love to hear your reasoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies