Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should the US Back
The Good Dictator, Our Best Arab Ally. 8 15.69%
The People. Who only want a democracy and a better life. But have no leader. 5 9.80%
Noone.. The US should stay out of it. 38 74.51%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times

Advertisements

In the end the vacuum is more like to be filed by muslim radicals that any other group. The students and unemployed are just poawns in this that started the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Stay out of it. We need to quit being the world's police and instead focus on our own country.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Stay out of it. We need to quit being the world's police and instead focus on our own country.
Problem is that the world has a habit of intruding on our own country. For example, this turmoil could easily lead to a significant increase in the price of gas (more than we were already expecting).

Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
I believe we should support the devil we know rather than the devil we don't. for our own self interest. That's the way I voted. I see the majority voted to disengage ourselves. Whether we like it or not, we are engaged there already and have a vested interest in insuring stability by whatever means necessary.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I believe we should support the devil we know rather than the devil we don't. for our own self interest. That's the way I voted. I see the majority voted to disengage ourselves. Whether we like it or not, we are engaged there already and have a vested interest in insuring stability by whatever means necessary.
I agree, but it is likely too little too late. Mubarak is a goner. The new reality will most likely be Islamic radicals controlling the Suez Canal, and with it the oil. Guess we better prepare to take it up the backside. There's no point in backing Mubarak any longer. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I agree, but it is likely too little too late. Mubarak is a goner. The new reality will most likely be Islamic radicals controlling the Suez Canal, and with it the oil. Guess we better prepare to take it up the backside. There's no point in backing Mubarak any longer. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
I agree that Mubarak has to go, but I'm sure that behind the scene, the US is working on "Plan B" right now that will insure some form of continuity until free elections can be held. Perhaps UN intervention due to the fact that the Suez Canal is strategicly important to the entire world, not just the US. This may prevent any faction from taking over prior to the people's choice. Of course the people's choice may very well be an islamic state and then all bets are off.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In the end the vacuum is more like to be filed by muslim radicals that any other group. The students and unemployed are just poawns in this that started the whole thing.
Unfortunately, I have to say that what you stated is the most likely scenario.
Casper

Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There are war ships moving towards the Suez as we discuss this issue, count on it.
Casper

Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree that Mubarak has to go, but I'm sure that behind the scene, the US is working on "Plan B" right now that will insure some form of continuity until free elections can be held. Perhaps UN intervention due to the fact that the Suez Canal is strategicly important to the entire world, not just the US. This may prevent any faction from taking over prior to the people's choice. Of course the people's choice may very well be an islamic state and then all bets are off.
I cannot help but be amused by all this talk of the UN when, just a few days ago, so many on CD (not you) were saying we should cut off funding to it and have nothing more to do with it.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There are war shipd moving towards the Suez as we discuss this issue, count on it.
Casper
I didn't think of that aspect but I'll bet you're right. I'll bet there's a US carrier group and a couple marine quick reaction Task Forces moving towards the area right now or already in the vicinity, offshore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies