Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should the US Back
The Good Dictator, Our Best Arab Ally. 8 15.69%
The People. Who only want a democracy and a better life. But have no leader. 5 9.80%
Noone.. The US should stay out of it. 38 74.51%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
But what rights do we have though? Is the canal considered international waters? Who "owns" the rights to the Suez canal? I don't know, but I think that will be key in how we/the world respond to any threats or infringements of trade routes through the canal.
I remember back in the late 50s, Nassar shut down the Suez Canal. I believe it belongs lock stock and barrel to Egypt. But it's importance is critical to world trade. That's where the UN can step in. Once again the wild card is the egyptian army. Also, don't rule out Israel occupying the Sinai Desert region as a buffer zone using this crisis as an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Although the Muslim Brotherhood is banned in Egypt, many in the armed forces are members of the Muslim Brotherhood. The vast majority of the Egyptian population is Islamic.
As I said, I do not think this will turn out for the best when it comes to the people of Egypt, but it their right to make their own choice. I will hope for the best and expect the worst.
Casper

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Should our government partner with the "Good Dictator" who has been very helpful for the US in dealing with the Arab "Problems" in the middle east...

Or should partner with the people who only want a better life but have no clue who will replace him? Also possibly betraying the best ally we had in the Arab world.

Or should the US do nothing? For now.

Which one should the US government back?

The United States should support the freedom of all people of the world, until they outright oppose our freedoms.

If we weren't messing around in the middle east by picking this leader or that, then the people that are there would probably worry about people that were much closer to their area, than a country on the other side of the world.

Support Israel when war is declared on them.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I remember back in the late 50s, Nassar shut down the Suez Canal. I believe it belongs lock stock and barrel to Egypt. But it's importance is critical to world trade. That's where the UN can step in. Once again the wild card is the egyptian army. Also, don't rule out Israel occupying the Sinai Desert region as a buffer zone using this crisis as an excuse.
Nasser nationalized the Suez canal. That led to military intervention by Britain, France and Israel. Eisenhower supported Nasser and effectively forced the British and French to withdraw.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Looks like it was a good decision for the US to stay out of it. The Egyptian are already finding a way to blame the US.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 01-31-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Should our government partner with the "Good Dictator" who has been very helpful for the US in dealing with the Arab "Problems" in the middle east...

Or should partner with the people who only want a better life but have no clue who will replace him? Also possibly betraying the best ally we had in the Arab world.

Or should the US do nothing? For now.

Which one should the US government back?

Do nothing, I've been to Egypt and it's a garbage dump as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default What should The US Do?

Tread very carefully and lightly until the situation starts to sort itself out. Continue to call for nonviolence. Encourage a secular government that will be more responsive to the popular will.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Let it play out, see where the chips fall, attempt an amicable relationship with whatever emerges.
This.

Any intervention by us at this stage would not go down well at all.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The United States should support the freedom of all people of the world, until they outright oppose our freedoms.

If we weren't messing around in the middle east by picking this leader or that, then the people that are there would probably worry about people that were much closer to their area, than a country on the other side of the world.

Support Israel when war is declared on them.
Personally, I don’t think Israel should continue to get special treatment. Any support should require evidence, that we don’t end up supporting the aggressor. As it is, Israel is defending Hosni Mubarak, and asking the governments (including the USA) to not speak against him. In other words, it is expecting the USA to respect “its needs”, regardless of the feelings that an entire nation (Egypt) has of their “friend”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies