Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, Martin Luther King Jr isn't an icon? Kennedy, Eisenhower, Neil Armstrong?

Please, get over your not so conservative, conservative icon.

The last 5 Presidents we've had in office have been nothing special.
Forget social conservatism, as Reagan made pro-abortion laws as Governor in Ca.

He was a true leader who brought us out of the carter years with pride.

All of the above are icons, but not to the level of Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Reagan is an American icon.

Nobody else in the last 75 years is.

I hope you enjoy yourselves bashing the legend.
I loved him when he was in office. I hate what he did to this country. Go figure. Supply side economics did untold damage to this country. The roaring 20's. Well the roaring 80's 90's and part of the 2000's. Reagan started it. We will be paying the bill for it for a very long time to come.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Did I say that Carter wasn't a bad President?

Never said that.

What I'm saying is that President Reagan was a worse President, whose decade was salvaged by the collapse of the Soviet Union which was really the result of American foreign policy set forth since Eisenhower.

Reagan didn't win the cold war, he carried the ball across the goal line, from the one yard line.

Ronald Reagan caused our insurance rates to increase, medical rates to go up, fueled the military industrial complex that didn't need any more fuel, increased the national debt, and caused wealth to be taken from middle class and increased the wealth of the super rich.

Reagan was a bad President, period.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:

Never said that.

What I'm saying is that President Reagan was a worse President, whose decade was salvaged by the collapse of the Soviet Union which was really the result of American foreign policy set forth since Eisenhower.

Reagan didn't win the cold war, he carried the ball across the goal line, from the one yard line.

Ronald Reagan caused our insurance rates to increase, medical rates to go up, fueled the military industrial complex that didn't need any more fuel, increased the national debt, and caused wealth to be taken from middle class and increased the wealth of the super rich.

Détente and Containment were utter failures. Ask Neville Chamberlain.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Whenever I watched Reagan on TV, I thought to myself "This guy absolutely has Alzeheimer's." Of course, since the President merely is a figurehead that goes on TV to justify the decisions of the REAL powers-that-be, much of what Reagan did wasn't bad. He had the right idea of smaller and less expensive government, but of course continued ridiculous military spending and grew gov't in both size and cost just like they all do now. I guess he was the first "Republicrat" President; the time when the two parties became nothing but media constructs that made us think we had a choice in our government.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I have been talking about how much damage RR has done to America. I have felt like a lone voice.
BOY!!! Do I know this feeling!! I knew Ronald Reagan was a skunk when he fired the flight controllers that were on a legal strike! It only got worse from there.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
Legal strike? Rewriting history?

Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (1968) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"On August 3, 1981 the union declared a strike, seeking better working conditions, better pay and a 32-hour workweek. In doing so, the union violated a law {5 U.S.C. (Supp. III 1956) 118p.} that banned strikes by government unions. Ronald Reagan declared the PATCO strike a "peril to national safety" and ordered them back to work under the terms of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947."

Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
BOY!!! Do I know this feeling!! I knew Ronald Reagan was a skunk when he fired the flight controllers that were on a legal strike! It only got worse from there.
It wasn't a legal strike. Those flight controllers signed contracts in which it was stated they do not have the authority to go on strike.

They did and were fired. Big deal!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I loved him when he was in office. I hate what he did to this country. Go figure. Supply side economics did untold damage to this country. The roaring 20's. Well the roaring 80's 90's and part of the 2000's. Reagan started it. We will be paying the bill for it for a very long time to come.
So, almost 3 decades of never before seen wealth and prosperity isn't enough?

We need bubbles.

They make things interesting.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times
Quote:

Never said that.

This as many other comments are mostly based on political inclinations. In just about any presidential ratings Ronald Reagan does rank at the top 5 of al presidents. It is also interesting recently more and more presidents are compared to Reagan. It is something like sodas compare themselves as better than Coke. It seems the standard is used to compare and basically say "Our product is better than Coke" Why? Because people do not buy much Coke? So why is comparing with Reagan? If he was such bad president why then compare others to him? Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies