Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
And then Americans wonder why they've become the laughingstock by the rest of the world
It is a shame, that's why fox news and other far right hate spewing outlets are so popular. They feed the ignorant with more ignorance they fiend for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Australia, also has both government and private health care...you get to choose which one....
Digging deeper into your wiki links...
Health insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australian Medicare is funded by a 1.5% tax levy on all taxpayers, an extra 1% levy on high income earners, as well as general revenue.

The private health system is funded by a number of private health insurance organizations. The largest of these is Medibank Private, which is government-owned, but operates as a government business enterprise under the same regulatory regime as all other registered private health funds.

People who take up private health insurance are currently rewarded in a number of ways. They receive a Private Health Insurance Rebate that subsidies 30% of their insurance premiums, increasing to 35% or 40% for people over 65. Hmmmm....sounds familiar

Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It is a shame, that's why fox news and other far right hate spewing outlets are so popular. They feed the ignorant with more ignorance they fiend for.
Therein lies a deeper issue to which I cannot find an explanation. Why are the ignorant fiending for more ignorance. What sort of mental constitution leads to stupidity yearning for anger and ignorance to boot? What of the yearning for that old idealistic notion of solidarity or a sense of finding solutions? It's not easy to live a life mired with ignorance and hate? Why do they choose to sink under it?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Define liberalism and then point out the similarities between it and your examples above.

Everytime I hear a self-described liberal or progressive all they say is how the government should run and "fix" everything. And they don't believe in private property rights.

I think my examples fit that description. Examples of what happens when a country is run by the far left without anyone to keep them honest.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'm surprised it went almost three pages before some ignorant right wing post.
There is nothing right wing about me.

What about when some leftie says Somalia is an example of capitalism or conservatism. Or when some leftie says republicans want to go back to days of slavery. You probably don't have a problem with that though.

Liberalism is big government. The countries I used as examples are the outcome of big government. So is Somalia. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Therein lies a deeper issue to which I cannot find an explanation. Why are the ignorant fiending for more ignorance. What sort of mental constitution leads to stupidity yearning for anger and ignorance to boot? What of the yearning for that old idealistic notion of solidarity or a sense of finding solutions? It's not easy to live a life mired with ignorance and hate? Why do they choose to sink under it?
I assume you are referring to me? Nothing ignorant about my post. The countries I listed were all run by big time lefties. Liberalism is a philosophy of the left. The difference between thse countries and most others is there was no opposition party. Those are perfect examples of what happens when a country is completely run by lefties.

And nothing hateful about anything I said either.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Liberalism is big government. The countries I used as examples are the outcome of big government. So is Somalia. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not.
You are clearly not a historian, but I thought to include this here anyway.

From "Historians and a Historians Code" as published in the Fall 2010 edition of Army History:

Excerpt from "A Historian's Code"
"6. I will acknowledge that history is created by people and not by impersonal cosmic forces or "isms." An "ism" by itself never harmed or helped anyone without human agency."

Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I assume you are referring to me? Nothing ignorant about my post. The countries I listed were all run by big time lefties. Liberalism is a philosophy of the left. The difference between thse countries and most others is there was no opposition party. Those are perfect examples of what happens when a country is completely run by lefties.

And nothing hateful about anything I said either.
I was responding to a poster who mentioned the hate spewing of Fox news. If I remember your post though, I disagree and almost laugh at your list. Nazis, lefties? You've got to be kidding me. And I've talked with many Germans about this too who think its absurd that some Americans are trying to equate the Nazi regime with leftist policies. But of course, you probably know more about the Nazis and their policies than any modern and thoughtful German who has studied their own history. Of course.

We simply disagree. Drastically. And I also think its a disgrace to list the countries on that list as "liberal." ESPECIALLY if you are an American. To call North Korea "liberal" (especially as an American) is a farce. There you have a nation where many people literally do not have a piece of paper to write on and from your comfy and complicated American stance stabbing away at a keyboard you are going to argue that North Korea is "liberal." It just doesnt make sense, sorry. And yes, I do think its offensive considering all the liberties YOU have and that MOST of the citizens of the countries you listed NEVER will have.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Liberalism in action:

Soviet Union

China under Chairman Mao

Cuba

North Korea

NAZI Germany

A good example of liberalism is the country Oceana as described in the book 1984 by George Orwell
Those countries aren't operated under American liberal ideology. Most are dictatorships and Nazi Germany was a far right operation.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Everytime I hear a self-described liberal or progressive all they say is how the government should run and "fix" everything. And they don't believe in private property rights.

I think my examples fit that description. Examples of what happens when a country is run by the far left without anyone to keep them honest.
You didn't answer my question. Also, your claim that all liberals talk about is how government can fix the problems and that they are against private property right is BS. Can you please prove your point by showing posts by liberals that suggests that? And I mean all liberals on here since they ALL say things like that.

Btw, aren't liberals accused of being too nice to immigrants/minorities and non-christians. Wasn't Hitler opposed to everyone that wasn't pure german?
Yeah, they have sooo much in common.
Please don't come to Germany (where I live) and tell us Hitler was a liberal, unless you want to be known as "the typical dumb american".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies