Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,670,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Ahh, another one. So you thought we actually own Egypt too.
Did you check into this thread just to take pot-shots or do you actually have a point to make relevant to the discussion. If so, I'd like to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Of course not, he supports the dictator and not the people. If he pulled an about face simply because the side he supported is deposed, it would be completely artificial and opportunistic. That is like me rooting for the Patriots all season long, then at the Superbowl having them lose to the Giants (heh), then abandoning the Patriots to support the Giants. I only changed loyalties because the latter emerged victorious. Claiming I contributed to the Giants victory in some way by supporting their opponent would be ludicrous. Same concept applies here.
I always thought Obama's job was to get the best outcome for American interests.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,037,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I always thought Obama's job was to get the best outcome for American interests.
So you believe supporting the dictator until he is deposed, then claiming credit for bringing democracy to Eygpt is the "best outcome for American interests"?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

I always thought that America was SUPPOSED to be the vanguard of freedom.

What makes you think a free Egypt isn't in the best imterest of America?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,015 times
Quote:
How exactly would you like the US government to intervene?
I don't want the US government to intervene, I would hope our government continues to appeal to people in Egypt for a peaceful resolution to the situation. Sometimes you have to let the chips fall where they may and carry on with what results.

Much of the reason the people are revolting against Mubarak is because many in Egypt see him as a paid for dictator with the US and Israel behind the curtain pulling the strings and whether true or not, this is how he is perceived. For the US to intervene, even on the side of pro-democracy types would be seen as the US meddling in the affairs of people who have an honest desire to govern themselves and I believe this would be counter productive.

Despite the chatter about the Muslim Brotherhood, it seems the consensus (as best as there is at the moment) that if there were elections, the best they would do is 20-25%, so concerns that this will be the next government is are a bit exaggerated. Watching Al Jazeera and RT feeds, a large number of protesters I saw were chanting, "The people and the army are one", which seems to indicate as others here have pointed out that the military has a good deal of support from the people and both groups are eying Elbaradi as a possible interim leader, which I think is a positive thing. I'm willing to bet the US government would be pleased to see Elbaradi as an interim leader as well.

Yes there are a lot of concerns over what may happen when the dust settles but right now the biggest source of opposition to this revolt and the largest support for Mubarak is coming from Israel. After all, the US tax payer has been paying for Israel's peace and security with Egypt for 30 years, of course they are worried.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
President Obama didn't "lose" Egypt any more than President Truman "lost" China (as though we ever "had" either of those countries in the first place!)

By the standard applied by the OP the question needs to be asked:

Did Nixon lose Viet Nam?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM

57,343 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
The country of Egypt has been our ally, if it becomes a theocratic state, which is hostile to the West, then we will have lost an ally. Or did you think we thought we freaking owned Egypt?
The people of Egypt will determine the outcome, I don't think they care that we are an ally. Mubarak appears to be yet another corrupt administration that the US has supported through 30 years and several presidents for out own interests. He has done little to support democracy or the poor.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If you want to know why Americans are disliked by so many around the world, you need only look at the American state of mind that actually has the arogance to suggest that other sovereign nation are America's to lose...or win for that matter. Why can we never get it in our mind that we do NOT own and control the entire world?
Geez, how many of you people are there anyway? When you "lose a friend", does that mean you used to freaking own them?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,486,496 times
Egypt belongs to Egypt. It is not our's to lose or win.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And if it continues to be an ally while becoming a democracy, then will you credit Obama for it? Or not?

You still have not answered my earlier question. None of you Obama bashers have. Here is the question one more time: will you credit Obama for a positive outcome in Egypt, or are you only going to blame him if the outcome is negative?
What exactly do you think 0bama is doing that would credit him with ownership of the eventual outcome that occurs in Egypt? Whether the outcome is good, or bad, how exactly do you think the president of our country has any control over it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies