Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
A person can put on a pleasant facade with other people, but how they treat animals is always a true glimpse into the character of a person.
On another note, animals and children are pretty good judges of character....they seem to be able to see right past subterfuge, you know?

look, it is easy to go to a vet when you have money and one only lives a few miles away from you. but it is different when the vet costs more than you can afford and has to be flown in for services.

also alot of people would not understand that alot of sled dogs can be very tempermental to other people other than the people that have owned them.

if you are so caring to the fact that my sister should shell out that kind of cash for a vet, then send me your name and number and I will pass it on to my sister to have you billed for the cost of her vet bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Abuse and culling of sled dogs is an ongoing issue and happens in both the US & Canada.

Abuse in Iditarod kennels:
http://www.helpsleddogs.org/remarks-...ls.htm#Cruelty

Sled Dog Watchdog - Yukon Quest 'Media Villains'
The Yukon Quest should admit that culling is part of the competitive racing world and take measures to discourage it, he said. "I mean one of the things that the Quest could do on the entry form is do a declaration - to participate in the Quest you declare that you do not practice culling of dogs," he said.

The race does not have a policy on culling. Quest race marshal Mike McCowan would not say whether culling is a common practice when asked about it Thursday. "It's not our business," McCowan said. "I mean it's like going up to somebody and saying, 'How do you make your bed in your own house?' That's not our business."

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
look, it is easy to go to a vet when you have money and one only lives a few miles away from you. but it is different when the vet costs more than you can afford and has to be flown in for services.

also alot of people would not understand that alot of sled dogs can be very tempermental to other people other than the people that have owned them.

if you are so caring to the fact that my sister should shell out that kind of cash for a vet, then send me your name and number and I will pass it on to my sister to have you billed for the cost of her vet bills.
I see your mouth moving, but all I am hearing is blah, blah, blah.
No cash?
Dont own critters, is that hard to understand?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM

277 posts, read 166,725 times
Quote:

You bet it's easy to tell someone's character for how they treat animals, and ALSO humans. Is there some reason why people can't show equal passion for animals as well as humans? Why is it so black or white, this or that, with some people? Ridiculous.
I feed my cat first, plain & simple. If I'm so poor that I have to buy ramen noodles so my cat eats, then that is what I would do. She relies on me to feed her, water her, clean her messes up, make her better when she's sick & to play with her, keep her warm & comfortable, etc. In essence, she relies on me to love her. If ever I was in a situation where I could not provide all of that, then I would be damn sure that I would find her a home first with any friends or family or co-workers who could take her in & then if all of those possibilities were exhausted, I would take her to a no-kill shelter. Never ever ever ever ever in my life would I EVER put her down. People who do that do not deserve to have the joy that animals bring to them.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I see your mouth moving, but all I am hearing is blah, blah, blah.
No cash?
Dont own critters, is that hard to understand?

you are the one that is blabbing as you suggest others do it your way instead of providing cash to those that cannot afford it to do it your way.

I own a dog and if it is needed I take belle to the vet. but when it is her time to go, I am not going to spend 300+ to put her down, but will take her out back and put a merciful bullet into her head.

If you dont like the method, then put up or shut up.

I see alot of people disliking/hating the way this business has treated their dogs. but I dont see anyone willing to pay for an adoption of any of those dogs, or spend the hundreds of dollars needed to feed them.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
you are the one that is blabbing as you suggest others do it your way instead of providing cash to those that cannot afford it to do it your way.

I own a dog and if it is needed I take belle to the vet. but when it is her time to go, I am not going to spend 300+ to put her down, but will take her out back and put a merciful bullet into her head.

If you dont like the method, then put up or shut up.

I see alot of people disliking/hating the way this business has treated their dogs. but I dont see anyone willing to pay for an adoption of any of those dogs, or spend the hundreds of dollars needed to feed them.
You seem to be having some comprehension issues here.
Please point out where I stated that people had to do it "my way"?
You have me confused with someone else.
I'm the one that has spoken of character, not how to do anything.
Go vent your spleen on someone else.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM

277 posts, read 166,725 times
Quote:

A. the deed has already been done so how exactly could we help those dogs now?
B. i'd be willing to bet that this has made some people think & start some action.
C. did it occur to you that perhaps some people here already do give money to shelters, organizations, etc.? It's always a fallback to say "well, if you don't like it, why don't you do something about it?", isn't it?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You seem to be having some comprehension issues here.
Please point out where I stated that people had to do it "my way"?
You have me confused with someone else.
I'm the one that has spoken of character, not how to do anything.
Go vent your spleen on someone else.

if a person tortures or abuses their animals I will say that it would affect their character, but if they destroy their dogs because they cannot afford them anymore, then it has nothing to do at all with ones character.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
A. the deed has already been done so how exactly could we help those dogs now?
B. i'd be willing to bet that this has made some people think & start some action.
C. did it occur to you that perhaps some people here already do give money to shelters, organizations, etc.? It's always a fallback to say "well, if you don't like it, why don't you do something about it?", isn't it?
Animal welfare is my only charity.

I give them a large amount.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
if a person tortures or abuses their animals I will say that it would affect their character, but if they destroy their dogs because they cannot afford them anymore, then it has nothing to do at all with ones character.
Opinions vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies