Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
His staff gets pretty deep when they dig.

This week, they are not digging stuff up on the Obama administration.

He isn't cutting Bush a break one bit!! Or Clinton or Reagan, Carter, Nixon......
How it all evolved.
The Middle East is such a complicated issue that Beck or his staffers, that have gotten things blatantly wrong, that they'll never figure out the reasons for anything.

Remember, he has linked George Soros to Muslim extremists when he could do the exact same thing to Rupert Murdoch. Its kind of like seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.

The troubles in the middle east have roots all the way back to before the crusades, and every issue there now has roots back to that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Does Beck know where the Middle East is?
good question.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The Middle East is such a complicated issue that Beck or his staffers, that have gotten things blatantly wrong, that they'll never figure out the reasons for anything.

Remember, he has linked George Soros to Muslim extremists when he could do the exact same thing to Rupert Murdoch. Its kind of like seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.

The troubles in the middle east have roots all the way back to before the crusades, and every issue there now has roots back to that time.
You are not being fair to Beck. I heard from an authoritative source that Beck has recently purchased "Middle East for Dummies" from a well known book store

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Glenn Beck is a moron. He is a former sports announcer that got to be on a news program because someone thought he could talk well.

Keith Olberman and Glenn Beck are opposite sides of the same coin. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and Beck to be fired.
It is not too late to see Beck's show from yesterday right there on your computer. He seemed to have quite a bit of information about the Middle East to tell those who aren't afraid to be caught watching him. I think the OP tried very hard to get some to watch that show and I think he may be even better today and the rest of the week. Take a chance that those who talk against him aren't all right.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I don't know... this is why I studied history with a concentration in Arabic Studies. But what is Beck's background that gives him the ability to teach others about a topic he knows so very little about? Would he like me to help him during his broadcast?

Seriously, why would anyone tune in to hear Beck, unless Beck was giving a key note speech on how to, "Be Loud, Obnoxious, and Influence Others." Beck actually knows about that. How a loudmouth, blowhard gets such a good career is what we should all be after, not him giving us a speech on the Middle East or about our 401k's.
I see that you caught his show yesterday. Well not really because you may have found that he knew, maybe through the study of his staff, quite a bit about that area. Well maybe I don't know much about it since I only studied it as a side light for some time.

Try watching his show on the internet and then tell me now little he knows about the area.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
All the scholars here that think they are smarter than a team of 40 researchers! What an egotistical riot you lefties are!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Pittsburgh?
Close. The correct answer we were looking for was "Dearborn". Also accepable was "Dearbornistan".

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
All the scholars here that think they are smarter than a team of 40 researchers! What an egotistical riot you lefties are!
Was this the same panel of 40 researchers that couldn't place Egypt on a map or a different panel of researchers? Maybe the ones that couldn't spell Oligarchy?

Seriously, you guys think a news organization can replace education? And since when does going to college and knowing more about a topic than a magazine show make you a leftie liberal? You've set the bar pretty low there, SourD. How can any scholar be smarter than someone on Fox and Friends or CNN? To steal a quote from Beck (back when he wasn't quite as looney), you make me want to wrap...MY HEAD... IN DUCT TAPE!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Was this a different panel of 40 researchers that couldn't place Egypt on a map?

Seriously, you guys think a news organization can replace education? And since when does going to college and knowing more about a topic than a magazine show make you a leftie liberal?

To steal a quote from Beck (back when he wasn't quite as looney), you make me want to wrap...MY HEAD... IN DUCT TAPE!
40 researchers are brighter than 1 single professor who PROFESSES to know things. 40 heads are better than 1. You "smarter than everyone else" crowd really need to do some deconstruction on your belief systems and see exactly where you get your beliefs because just because some guy or woman in a college told you something does NOT in any way make it even close to the truth. You need to be able to think for yourself and find the information on your own. If you can't do that, then you are what is referred to as either a "sheep" or "useful idiot". I'm not saying that everything Beck says is right, but he at least tells YOU to do your own research and thinking. You won't get that in a college class. If you dare to second guess the so-called "professor" you will fail the class. You will only pass if you take what they teach you as gospel. Most of the times they are wrong in what they are teaching you and teach you THEIR opinions. Deconstructing your belief system will do you wonders and allow you to become a free and critical thinker. Please give it a try.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
40 researchers are brighter than 1 single professor who PROFESSES to know things. 40 heads are better than 1. You "smarter than everyone else" crowd really need to do some deconstruction on your belief systems and see exactly where you get your beliefs because just because some guy or woman in a college told you something does NOT in any way make it even close to the truth. You need to be able to think for yourself and find the information on your own. If you can't do that, then you are what is referred to as either a "sheep" or "useful idiot". I'm not saying that everything Beck says is right, but he at least tells YOU to do your own research and thinking. You won't get that in a college class. If you dare to second guess the so-called "professor" you will fail the class. You will only pass if you take what they teach you as gospel. Most of the times they are wrong in what they are teaching you and teach you THEIR opinions. Deconstructing your belief system will do you wonders and allow you to become a free and critical thinker. Please give it a try.
LOL I could hardly get through this slop without laughing.

I'll just pose a simple question to you: how did you deconstruct your belief system? What makes you a more critical thinker than myself? I mean, your insinuation is certainly that you've exceeded my ability to think critically (by watching Glen Beck, of course)

I mean, we've never met, and we've never had a single conversation.

How terribly arrogant (and ignorant) of you to make such lofty declarations.

I think maybe you should do so more self-examination. =)

P.S. I don't think you know what college is actually like. You do know that college classes - particularly in upper level history and poly-sci are really set around argument and debate, right? People cried in our classes lol There is LITTLE agreement to be had. Classes are typically set where you formulate groups and put up facts and opinions that are often at odds with others. Who has told you that professors dictate their ideas to you and you memorize them as fact? I think you might have been agreeing with others that have told you what getting a liberal arts degree was like, and in doing so, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

P.P.S. Because I took a special interest in the topic a very long time ago, graduated with a degree in Arabic Studies, LIVED in the Middle East, speak the language, yeah, I do tend to know more than 40 random Americans who work in television and have only generalized knowledge. So sue me. Maybe I can't explain that to you except that if you take a topic you know A LOT about - maybe insects - and you'd realize while watching a basic PBS nature show that you tended to find their information ultimately elementary and unfulfilling - it's kind of similar? You know what I'm saying? It's not that you want it to be that way. But naturally, shows for the masses need to stay basic and elementary to keep people's attentions. Are you guys forgetting you're talking about a TV show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies