Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know where you live (sounds like a war zone or ghetto maybe) but I don't believe break-ins are the normal course of events for most people). There must be statistics that out of 10,000 people, how many break-ins are there?

And if that already happened to you, what are the odds of it happening again? I imagine it must have been traumatic. Maybe instead of dwelling on it, you might try some therapy to get over the trauma of it and move on in life - think about something positive - how you can improve the world - instead of ruminating about something so negative and fear based.

It isn't dwelling on anything as much as it is proof that this happens and it is wiser to be prepared than it is to ignor the problem.

My bad guy had been parolled, propbably more than once.

It is my opinion the system is broken and that paroll for violent offenders should end.

People believe the cops job is to protect them and that simply isn't true.

Being able to defends one home, and the lives of everyone in it is the responcibilty of the people both male and female.

The police can not defend you really. All they do is decide if the victims became victims by means against the law.

When I called the cops they told me that after being threatend at 2 AM at my home by a an intruder, that the intruder hadn't broken any law. That the police were not my perosnal body guards.

It was a little hairy with my great dane barking standing before me, the intruder yelling and swearing saying he would kill us all. My wife crying and screeming my infanr son crying and screeming.

It was a little hard to hear the cops too.

Well the bad guy settled it with a weapon he pulled and down he went cops still on the phone.

So now I am not any better than I was for waiting. bad guys coming to me will just go down faster and i will care less about them. I am hardened.

Next time I will take better care to make a better shot. I hope there is no next time, really. But I am not going to change and make it easier for the bad guys.

Why should I? But I am not paranoid. I go about life in my ways and don't worry a bit. I am armed. I go everywhere armed and with out a fire arm I feel as if I have no pants on. Easter 99 was a long time ago.

Last time I was unarmed I was a witness to a crime in NH and I had to give the sheriff my gun to enter the court. He gave it back when I left.

Must have been I misunderstood your meaning of that paranoia word some how. In 05 for 10 months my wife and I rode the USA on a motorcycle. No pananiod persons would even think to do that.

You meet all kinds of people doing that, and I was armed in all 40 states I visited.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
I think the cops wonder who will shoot them when they now attend a home conflict... the intruder on purpose or the resident by accident.
People want guns in their homes to protect themselves ... so if it's such a good idea...protect yourself and don't call 911............ simple.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM

472 posts, read 740,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I think the cops wonder who will shoot them when they now attend a home conflict... the intruder on purpose or the resident by accident.
People want guns in their homes to protect themselves ... so if it's such a good idea...protect yourself and don't call 911............ simple.
That is my exact intention, to call 911 after the situation is resolved. Calling 911 and expecting anything approaching rapid response would be an exercise in futility.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Well if you call 911 don't expect the cops to come a-running, there is no legal responsibility for them to protect you. You're on your own just take a look at Warren vs. DC, a leading example, and there's Castle Rock vs. Gonzales. Here's Warrens decision

Quote:
it is a `fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981).
But of course you knew that. No?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Are you so paranoid because you live in some lawless hellhole? People have the right to bear arms in this country. They also have the right not to bear arms. That doesn't mean that one doesn't care about the safety of their home and family. The odds are weighted heavily against one having to use a gun in that manner anyway. If you're truly that afraid, seems to me you're better off moving.
I agree, to each his own. It's just part of what makes the country great. Now, with that said, the odds are that I will not get a flat tire today. That doesn't mean I would feel comfortable driving around without a spare tire should I by chance need it.

No doubt my neighbor is just as concerned about his family's safety as I am. I, however, am willing to take more active steps to protect mine. I would feel no remose whatsoever about killing someone who tries to harm me or mine. I value human life, but value mine and my family's above all else. I would be more upset at the mess created than the death of some lowlife.

And any area is "safe" until just one such incident occurs.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I resemble that remark!
I collect shoes, my husband collects weapons.
To each their own, you know?
Do you have your own Country?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I can't believe people are so terrified to be unarmed in their homes. Must be too much TV.
I'm one of those silly people that wear seatbelts in the car and a helmet when I ride the motorcycle. I don't expect to need either on any given day, so I guess they're a waste of time, right?

I don't believe how many people are terrified of an inanimate object.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
I now live in a small community in Florida. None of my neighbours have or want to have a gun. They are of all ages and lifestyles. We have this old fashioned concept of looking out for each other and being neighbours. We all sleep easy. it's a oasis in this apparent sea of "rootin tootin" gun lovers.
Here's the difference. "Pro-gun" people really don't care if you have a gun or not, it's your choice. The inverse isn't always true, in that anti-gun people want to dictate that others can not own them.

If you believe so strongly in your stance, and that firearms would in no way enhance the communities safety, why don't you post signs in your neighborhood stating that? Something simple, like "residents in this neighborhood are unarmed, and we like it that way".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies