Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,832,762 times

Advertisements

The rationale for having increased diversity is pretty simple. There was a point in time when White men felt that only other White men (a much more narrow definition of White) were the only people smart enough to work in certain industries. Well, if you give others a chance to prove themselves, those stereotypes would eventually disappear.

This still exists. People with more Anglo sounding names are much more likely to get an interview than more ethnic names.

I don't think that quotas are the answer, but I really don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Why don't we all worry less about "diversity" and worry more about productivity and efficiency?
Because you can fall into the trap of stereotypical thinking...that person A is less productive than person B because person A is this or that race and person B is another race.

Thus, you never actually know the capability of others.

This is one component that feeds into the cycle of poverty within minority communities.

Again, quotas and mandates are far from ideal.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM

565 posts, read 485,136 times
A place where someone is in a wheelchair.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,709,126 times
Show me the diversity of the employees at a chinese resturaunt.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
OK, that wasn't really a fictional company now was it? You're talking about a typical Borders bookstore I think.
Might that be why they're going out of business?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
In today's America, a diverse workplace is one where the blacks are happy.

Sorry...but its the truth
Yup. If I ain't happy.......nobody's happy.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Why don't we all worry less about "diversity" and worry more about productivity and efficiency?

The more diversity, the more productivity and efficiency.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,464,800 times
A diverse workplace is one which resembles the community. One of the reasons I did not like working in Silicon Valley is that I was the only Spanish person there amongst Asians and Indians, it didn't resemble San Mateo at all.

For example, here in Denver things are much more aligned with the community % amongst Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-01-2011 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastnash View Post
Having worked in a 'diverse' office, I can tell you there is probably a reason for that. There are groups who work well, professionally, and do their job and there are groups which really don't seem to have a work ethic. I think that has something to do with it.

Anyway,

why is it only White people concerned with 'diversity' and becoming minorities in their own countries?

I don't see China, Japan, Nigeria, Botswana, Peru, Saudi Arabia, etc clamoring for 'diversity'. If diversity is so great, why are only White people screaming for millions of people of another race to come to their countries? What is there to gain?

Because really, if everyone was 'one race' as some of these clowns scream for, wouldn't there be less diversity? I mean, is getting rid of White people so that the world would remain majority Asian, is that diversity? When nobody with red hair exists anymore, is that diversity?
About the first point, race/ethnicity and professionalism have nothing to do with each other. You're reinforcing my point if you truly believe that.

Actually, Nigeria Botswana, et al. are pushing for diversity. I may not be racial, but more ethnic diversity. It's not only just White countries. Japan was pushing for more immigrants to stem the coming wave of elderly people. Many Japanese people were mad when the offer to kick out Latino Japanese people was tabled.

Diversity issues are huge in many countries.

It's funny how isolated people can be from the rest of the world.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
needless to say i work with muslims, jews, xtians, blacks, browns, whites, young, old, gay, straight, deaf. but this IS los angeles...
True.

Diversity just happens around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies