Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes, yes who woukd want to listen to academics.
What, I can't call academics academics? I didn't mean to disparage them, sorry if it sounded that way.

Quote:
Not much of a guess, 9/11, Fort Hood, Time Square. They are coming after us. We can bury our heads in the sand or we can look after our own interests.
Herbert Hoover wisely noted, after Pearl Harbor, that people who go around sticking pins in rattlesnakes shouldn't be surprised when they are bit. You may notice there weren't any 9/11s or Fort Hoods before 1948.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm sure if the MB thought ahead of time that the protests would be as successful has they have turned out to be they would have joined the effort earlier. The fact is that the MB were late supporters to this particular protests. Even Beck has admitted that there are many reasons that Egyptians would be willing to protest against the current Egyptian government, no dupes are required.

I disagree, the MB is trying to put a benign face on their organization. They knew they didn't have to be out front as they are the strongest of all oppositiion groups. If they were out front it would be difficult for the dupes to deny their intentions.

Quote:
But Beck's conflating the protests MB's desire to create a Caliphate is simply fear mongering.
Of course the MB is using the unrest to advance their power and by extension their agenda, there is no question about it.

Quote:
Is it really that surprising that the various opposition groups are willing to work together. After all the MB (among other things) holds seats in the current Parliament and in 2005 they won 20% of the seats.

Egypt election routs popular Muslim Brotherhood from parliament - CSMonitor.com

The Brotherhood, which for decades focused on building networks of social services and religious instruction, made political participation a focal point of its strategy in 2005, and startled many by winning 20 percent of the seats in Parliament.
I find it completely unsurprising, they all have the same proximate goal, get rid of Mubarak. Once he is gone the MB will consolidate its power behind a puppet like El Baradei.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

Herbert Hoover wisely noted, after Pearl Harbor, that people who go around sticking pins in rattlesnakes shouldn't be surprised when they are bit. You may notice there weren't any 9/11s or Fort Hoods before 1948.

LOL, I am happy you have finally outted yourself, as I suspected all along, you believe Israel is the cause of all the problems. It ain't. The desire for a caliphate predates them by about 1000 years.

I would say the globe getting smaller is a much greater reason for their reach here.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Of course the MB is using the unrest to advance their power and by extension their agenda, there is no question about it.
That's what political groups do. Playing into their hands by treating the good-guy dissidents like spoiled kids who need to be spanked is not a good strategy.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's what political groups do. Playing into their hands by treating the good-guy dissidents like spoiled kids who need to be spanked is not a good strategy.
Who is doing that? I think the west has been supportive of hte dissidents. The west is wary, rightfully so, of the MB.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
LOL, I am happy you have finally outted yourself, as I suspected all along, you believe Israel is the cause of all the problems. It ain't. The desire for a caliphate predates them by about 1000 years.
Outed? I didn't know I was ever in.

Israel is not "the cause of all the problems." America's masochistic devotion to it is, however, absolutely the cause of most of our foreign policy problems.

BTW 1000 years before Israel was established, there were two caliphates, the Abbasids and the Fatimids. The Ottoman Empire was technically a caliphate and existed until 1924. They didn't send suicide bombers to New York.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
You, of course have provided zero links demonstrating the MB does't want a global caliphate as opposed to their own words I have provided for you. You seem to think a because they decided not to be in the forefront means they were taken by surprise. Make no mistake, ElBaradei is making a coalition with them because they are far stronger than him.
Yes, I did provide a link, which you obviously ignored, and other people have provided info too saying MB joined in after the riots had been going on for days.

One last time: what the MB wants, has nothing to do with what actually happened and with the fact that Beck is feeding lies about the riots BEING ABOUT MB global caliphate.

No further comment. I do not like the bickering approach you have taken here. Glenn Beck should send you a tip, $5.00 maybe, for pushing his theories.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Who is doing that? I think the west has been supportive of hte dissidents. The west is wary, rightfully so, of the MB.
Most people in the West have been supportive, but a vocal minority has been harping on the participation of the MB to the exclusion of everything else.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I did provide a link, which you obviously ignored, and other people have provided info too saying MB joined in after the riots had been going on for days.
That doesn't mean they were caught off guard, it means they joined days later.

Quote:
One last time: what the MB wants, has nothing to do with what actually happened and with the fact that Beck is feeding lies about the riots BEING ABOUT MB global caliphate.
I am not sure how you can say that. Of course the MB joining in a coalition with El Baradei has quite a bit to do with what is going on. Do you dispute the MB wants a caliphate?

Quote:
No further comment. I do not like the bickering approach you have taken here. Glenn Beck should send you a tip, $5.00 maybe, for pushing his theories.
I completely understand your desire to disengage since you have been unabable to validate a syllable you have written.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Still no solutions. Par for the course, Oh well.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies