Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What a stupid analogy.

Almost everyone will need healthcare or hospitalization before they die, very few will ever need a gun to survive.
That doesn't matter one bit. The issue is forcing you to buy somethng. If they can force you to buy HC, then they can force you to buy anything they want. Why not a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
That's the attitude that resulted in people in New Orleans paralyzed by a rain storm called Katrina. Unable to fend for themselves they waited around for government to rescue them. Think of a gun like insurance. You may not need it now because you are healthy but accidents happen. Similarly you may never need a gun to propect your home or your neighbor's but bad things happen to good people. And smart people recognize that and act to prepare themselves if the eventuality occurs. Learning to use a gun and to be proficient in its use is not rocket science. To refuse to learn, however, is irresponsible.

I don't know anything about guns, but my gut tells me you are being trivial about using a gun on another person.

A gun takes talent and practice to use it in a situation in which you think you have an intruder. Do you go up and make your presence known before you shoot only to have an intruder turn and fire his weapon on you? Or do you fire your weapon first and then find out later it was only your son getting a midnight snack?

That takes more training, I imagine, than is provided by a local gun safety course.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That doesn't matter one bit. The issue is forcing you to buy somethng. If they can force you to buy HC, then they can force you to buy anything they want. Why not a gun?
Or auto insurance.
Casper

Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Yes. Freedom. It is what makes us unique as a country should not be taken for granted. I'll keep it light. Anyone remember Devo, the eighties pop band? Much of their shtick was modern man as an unwitting doofus as in devolution. One of their songs said something to the effect of..."Freedom of choice is what we got. Freedom from choice is what we need." I don't think they were advocating total government control as much as they were saying we needed to be saved from our own dumb *ss selves. Certainly food for thought in these types of conversations.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Anyone remember Fahrenheit 451 or 1984? Cautionary tales about what might become in terms of government control. Certainly, we are seeing some of it come to fruition. At the risk of being branded a total liberal, I say we employ a little Timothy Leary and Think For Yourself And Question Authority. Just like most things, the answer lies between extremes. On one end we have blind obedience and on the other, anarchy. What about a reasonable place in the middle?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Anyone remember Fahrenheit 451 or 1984? Cautionary tales about what might become in terms of government control. Certainly, we are seeing some of it come to fruition. At the risk of being branded a total liberal, I say we employ a little Timothy Leary and Think For Yourself And Question Authority. Just like most things, the answer lies between extremes. On one end we have blind obedience and on the other, anarchy. What about a reasonable place in the middle?
Mr Floyd, how do you feel about the insurance mandate?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Well said and I actually agree with much of what you said. My problem with AC if when reading her opinions she will start out talking about a subject in a rational manner using evidence and making her points on the issue, but then almost every time she will begin to ramble and even shift off her own topic and ramble on about other issues. It is like she does not know when to just make the point and end it, it is how some here will go off and a tangent and start rambling on about various other issues they have on totally unrelated topics.
Casper
That's OK. When the rambling starts, just watch something else or go do something else. Right? The rambling, in itself, doesn't necessarily discredit otherwise credible thoughts, does it?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Mr Floyd, how do you feel about the insurance mandate?
Philosophically, I can buy some of the rationale behind the proponents of nationalized medicine. But I have a great deal of concern from a pragmatic point of view. I have spent many years as a senior financial auditor / analyst for the CA Department of Healthcare Services (think welfare / Medi-Cal). I have seen abuse of the system and many things that seem like they are wasteful. That being said, I am leery of a system with a scale even broader than the California one. I am equally leery of it coming from a federal level. Efficiency and effectiveness are always issues and IMO, a federal program will likely lack both.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What a stupid analogy.

Almost everyone will need healthcare or hospitalization before they die, very few will ever need a gun to survive.
Not everyone will need heath insurance though.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
All would be solved with single payer. Nobody would be "forced to buy" a product or thing, it would just be there, like fire departments, police, road maintenance, and schools. Everyone needs to see how silly her analogy is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies