Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Well, there was huge support for segregation. If we follow your way of thinking, then segregation should have lasted until public support waned. Public support doesn't equate to good policies.
You must support an invasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well it would save the USG a heck of a lot of money.
Everything is translated from paper to internet sites to phone messages to people hired.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
No. Because there is an extremely long process to obtain citizenship via childbirth. Not only that, the pregnancy rate of illegal immigrants crossing the border is not high.

My mom did not speak English when she first arrived. I don't speak Korean now. Just liked she learned how to speak English, I'm learning Korean.

Not everyone has the luxury to hire tutors to learn a language.

As the land of opportunity, should we deny people the ability to enter here and be productive simply because they lacked the means to learn English in their home countries?

If you answered yes, then many of you would not be here today had the US implemented this in the past.

Let's also examine that immigrants families do end up learning English.

BB, I suggest that you ditch your odd fantasies about the coming end of the US via immigration and get on board with reality. The real world is not a scary place.
Why is it always an excuse when learning English?

We have many free public resources like libraries, they teach English at no charge.

You or your parents decided to come here not the other way around, surely you should have expected you needed to learn English.

Now your critical of our language?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is it always an excuse when learning English?

We have many free public resources like libraries, they teach English at no charge.

You or your parents decided to come here not the other way around, surely you should have expected you needed to learn English.

Now your critical of our language?
So do many Community Colleges..all you need to do is sign up.

America is the melting pot. Our language (English) is what glues us together. It is sad that so many others came here and had no problem learning English and government services were NOT provided in various languages (Italian, German, Gaelic, etc) yet today Hispanic immigrants can't function without translated materials.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
intelligence is linked to the language you speak or how many? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... I can't believe there are people who call themselves educated that would say things like this. As far as European countries speaking more than one language. THEY HAVE TO! Their countries are smaller than some of our states and are surrounded by OTHER countries that speak a different language. If they didn't speak those languages also, they would have to become isolationists. They had to learn the languages simply to survive. We don't have to do that here, as far as I'm aware, the states that surround mine also speak English.
The more languages someone can speak, generally the more educated they are and the more cultured / well traveled they are. Rather than sitting on their couch eating potato chips complaining about "those dang Mexicans."

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
The more languages someone can speak, generally the more educated they are and the more cultured / well traveled they are. Rather than sitting on their couch eating potato chips complaining about "those dang Mexicans."
since when?
How do you know if he is a couch potato?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
It is such a shame that people are so ignorant of this country's history.
So many want to act as if every single previous group got off the boat, or whatever, and just started speaking English within a year or so.
Not true.
There were, and are, many parts of this country where people spoke their native language well into the 20th century if not later. I grew up and lived in neighborhoods where people spoke Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Spanish, various Chinese dialects... and many never learned to speak English.

An example from my hometown:

"In 1986, when he was 14, Ramiro Cariño slipped across the Mexican border and made his way to New York.
Mr. Cariño was not quite sure where he had landed: the main language on the street was Italian, that nation’s flag adorned storefronts and homes, and Italian restaurants and shops selling pasta, bread and cheese were everywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/ny...cans.html?_r=1

It has been ever thus:

"The state of New York had state government documents (i.e., vital records) co-written in the Dutch language until the 1920s, in order to preserve the legacy of New Netherland, though England annexed the colony in 1664.[42]
From the mid-19th century on, the nation had large numbers of immigrants who spoke little or no English, and throughout the country state laws, constitutions, and legislative proceedings appeared in the languages of politically important immigrant groups. "

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Who cares, they have always conducted in English so why is it an issue now?

Why am I not surprised that Republicans are again wasting taxpayer's time and money on these "cultural" bills instead of trying to focus on jobs. I don't know why the American public is so gullible and always manage to re-elect these idiots.

The Dems had time to focus on jobs, but instead.......

Why are we gullible to be pro-American, pro-English language? Any clue how much extra it costs to duplicate everything into multiple languages? Sounds to me like a money saver

Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is such a shame that people are so ignorant of this country's history.
So many want to act as if every single previous group got off the boat, or whatever, and just started speaking English within a year or so.
Not true.
There were, and are, many parts of this country where people spoke their native language well into the 20th century if not later. I grew up and lived in neighborhoods where people spoke Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Spanish, various Chinese dialects... and many never learned to speak English.

An example from my hometown:

"In 1986, when he was 14, Ramiro Cariño slipped across the Mexican border and made his way to New York.
Mr. Cariño was not quite sure where he had landed: the main language on the street was Italian, that nation’s flag adorned storefronts and homes, and Italian restaurants and shops selling pasta, bread and cheese were everywhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/ny...cans.html?_r=1

It has been ever thus:

"The state of New York had state government documents (i.e., vital records) co-written in the Dutch language until the 1920s, in order to preserve the legacy of New Netherland, though England annexed the colony in 1664.[42]
From the mid-19th century on, the nation had large numbers of immigrants who spoke little or no English, and throughout the country state laws, constitutions, and legislative proceedings appeared in the languages of politically important immigrant groups. "

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But were all government forms/websites/phone messages translated for them ? Were school classrooms changed to provide lessons in their native language ? Did ESL or bilingual education provide assistance to them ? That does make a difference.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But were all government forms/websites/phone messages translated for them ? Were school classrooms changed to provide lessons in their native language ? Did ESL or bilingual education provide assistance to them ? That does make a difference.

Probably not much done in the way of websites or phone messages from the 1600s to the mid-20th century, however, yes, government forms were provided in-language in immigrant dominant areas.

And, yes, bilingual education has long been a tradition in this country. The wiki link I posted has many details, as does the link below:

"The major issue is one of language. Many school districts formally adopted bilingual education in the 1960s and 70s. However, bilingual education and even native language schooling has been a major facet of education in the United States since the very beginning."

SCHOOL: The Story of American Public Education

SCHOOL: The Story of American Public Education

http://cerdahdz.webs.com/historyofbilingualed.htm

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies