Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If you come to America you should learn English.

Having other languages at your disposal doesn't encourage you to learn English.
I agree. However, what about tourists? What about people who are in the process of learning?

I lived in Mexico. When having medical or financial issues, there was ALWAYS someone there for the Americans to speak English. Even though I was proficient in Spanish after studying it for 8 years, it was much more efficient for everyone involved to speak in the language I was most comfortable with.

I met dozens of Americans living in Mexico who could barely order anything in a restaurant in Spanish. Many lived there full time. Just look at the Mexico subforum at all the retirees who do not speak Spanish. Some make efforts to learn it, many don't. Similarly, when I was in France, there were hundreds of Americans who didn't even make an effort to learn "merci".

Countries have always made efforts to increase revenue by offering services to tourists and transients who do not speak the local language or are in the process of learning. We have thousands of tourists each year from Latin America, Spain, France, Japan, China, etc etc who speak little to no English. Does your momentary discomfort negate their need to have access to services and help in a language that they can understand? My host mother was not here illegally- she was here for 2 weeks to go to Disney World and see NYC.

I agree that people should learn to speak the local language, but that's a process that takes YEARS. Offering some services in other languages does not change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
YES! We should designate ENGLISH to be our OFFICIAL language! No other languages on roadsigns, documents, anywhere!

Then we can be just like France!
Have you been to France recently? As of 2 years ago, there were tons of signs in English.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Who cares, they have always conducted in English so why is it an issue now?

Why am I not surprised that Republicans are again wasting taxpayer's time and money on these "cultural" bills instead of trying to focus on jobs. I don't know why the American public is so gullible and always manage to re-elect these idiots.
And nevermind the millions of more dollars it costs every year to publish in more than one language ..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand why if anyone would be against English as an official language. The majority of the country speaks its.
Its American culture.

I hope this passes
So do i. We need an official language.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So do i. We need an official language.
Agreed.

There's no need for domestic flights here to be broadcasted in Spanish repeatedly.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
If Congress passes an official language statute, then I hope they pass an official spelling statute as well. Come on, cough should be spelled "coff" and rough spelled "ruff".

Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
All I can say is that the miserable closet-white supremacists putting forward this sort of nonsense had better get breeding
Racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I speak five languages besides English. I have learned them as I was stationed around the world and it made it much easier to be able to communicate in the native tounge.

I wasn't forced to learn them as I wasn't emigrating to those countries, but to facilitate ordering food, travel, buying at the local markets, being able to communicate in the official language of the country made things much easier.

Is it so difficult for folks coming here to learn our language?

I have never noticed overseas that other countries print their ballots in multiple languages, or their drivers exams.

It would simply be a courtesy for many to know enough of our language to get by, and if they plan on living here, being able to communicate opens whole new worlds of job opportunities, communicating with neighbors, avoiding confusion and confrontations.

I for one support having an official language the same as nearly every other country in the world.

Funny thing, I never have learned spanish, never had the need, never wanted to learn it just so I could travel to california or Arizona. As long as I am in the US, I should be able to order a Big Mac in English.

To reply to post #27, when North America was part of the "Empire" we spoke the official language, English.
Nothing "white supremecist" about it. Part of becomeing part of any culture is assimilation and a common language is a big part of that.

I am sure the Indians and Pakistanis and multiple African nations wished that the Victorian English had learned the language instead of making them speak a foreign language. Ruddy Wogs what ho??
A lot of good points here. South Florida without speaking Spanish is almost impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
And nevermind the millions of more dollars it costs every year to publish in more than one language ..
Simple math.

If someone wants to live here, assimilate the language and laws, or leave.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
All I can say is that the miserable closet-white supremacists putting forward this sort of nonsense had better get breeding
12-20 million illegal immigrants agree with you. Someone has to pay taxes to pay for the Govt programs.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Not to mention how they've buggered it up. It's right rubbish nowadays.
I hope you're being sarcastic. Cause we speak English closer to what was spoken in 1600s England don't you know? English was rhotic in the 1600s, then the upper crusts changed to non-rhotic and we stayed the same, same as the English in Gloucestershire, Devon, Cornwall, etc. If you want a buggered up accent, you should complain about the Yorkies in Barnsley, or the Geordies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I hope it fails. Most people in America can't even speak correct English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
as does america. our national/official language is english. yet we saw we need to have an "english only" law.

though they have a national tongue, they know that there are many in their land that prefer another language (note that i say prefer, and not "unable to speak the national tongue"). does this mean that the other countries should trounce upon the varied heritage of it's people? no.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
as does america. our national/official language is english. yet we saw we need to have an "english only" law.

though they have a national tongue, they know that there are many in their land that prefer another language (note that i say prefer, and not "unable to speak the national tongue"). does this mean that the other countries should trounce upon the varied heritage of it's people? no.
What? Are you serious? We DO NOT have an official language. Never have. Also, the bill isn't to make English the ONLY language. What rocks do you people crawl out from under?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies