U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,808,562 times

Advertisements

Since 2005 the U.S. has supported the election and ruling coalition of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki which consists of his Islamic Dawa Party (responsible for the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait), the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq, and the Badr Organization led by Muqtada al-Sadr. Two, Dawa and ISCI, were founded in Iran where they were trained and supplied by the Iranian government. Al-Sadr, now lives and studies in Iran while maintaining a political presence in Iraq.

Apparently this is o.k., or at least poses no threat to U.S. interest worthy of note. Yet, the possibility that the Muslim Brotherhood might have any future influence in Egypt's emerging democracy is something of great alarm. Perhaps some of those so alarmed can explain why one group of Islamist is preferable to another?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM

19,556 posts, read 20,188,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since 2005 the U.S. has supported the election and ruling coalition of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki which consists of his Islamic Dawa Party (responsible for the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait), the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq, and the Badr Organization led by Muqtada al-Sadr. Two, Dawa and ISCI, were founded in Iran where they were trained and supplied by the Iranian government. Al-Sadr, now lives and studies in Iran while maintaining a political presence in Iraq.

Apparently this is o.k., or at least poses no threat to U.S. interest worthy of note. Yet, the possibility that the Muslim Brotherhood might have any future influence in Egypt's emerging democracy is something of great alarm. Perhaps some of those so alarmed can explain why one group of Islamist is preferable to another?
Weird.....

Perhaps because the USA got to decide in the case of Iraq?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

11,127 posts, read 13,168,226 times
Islamist Parties In Iraq, Good. Islamist Parties in Egypt Bad. Please Explain.

Depends, do you want the emotionally reactive sound byte regurgitated by the semi-educated pinheaded talking suit commentator of the hour or do you want a reasoned and thought out comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Weird.....

Perhaps because the USA got to decide in the case of Iraq?
Well, sort of... We were gunning for Nouri al-Maliki, but got Ayad Allawi who is more sympathetic to Iran.

Even with troops stationed in their country we couldn't get 100% of what we wanted.

I hope some day in the future someone does a cost benefit ratio analysis of our intervention in the Middle East. If it weren't for the Saudi's, we would really be sunk.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,808,562 times
[quote=TnHilltopper;17698589]

Depends, do you want the emotionally reactive sound byte regurgitated by the semi-educated pinheaded talking suit commentator of the hour or do you want a reasoned and thought out comment?/quote]

It doesn't matter, they rarely answer my questions to begin with.

Quote:
Well, sort of... We were gunning for Nouri al-Maliki, but got Ayad Allawi who is more sympathetic to Iran.
You transposed Maliki and Allawi and forgot all about Chalabi.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,377,386 times
Why were student protestors in Iran wanting to evict Amadinejad not worth the support of the Obama administration but the ones in Egypt wanting to evict Mubarak are?

Is Mubarak a more brutal dictator than Amadinejad in the eyes of the Obama administration?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM

11,127 posts, read 13,168,226 times
[quote=ovcatto;17701468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Depends, do you want the emotionally reactive sound byte regurgitated by the semi-educated pinheaded talking suit commentator of the hour or do you want a reasoned and thought out comment?/quote]

It doesn't matter, they rarely answer my questions to begin with.

You transposed Maliki and Allawi and forgot all about Chalabi.
~ glub ~ my bad, been a long day and I'm struggling to type like a third grader at the moment. Good catch, then again, I know you actually read this stuff.

I didn't mention Chalabi because I could quite literally write a book on this character, but since several others already have and were trying to move into the future.

I haven't been keeping up with Iraq as much as I should, but from the little I have been reading, violence is on the rise, but thankfully nothing dramatic as yet. Will be interesting to see who the whole Egypt issue plays out in Iraq, as if there is any country that is watching with great intensity, I know the Iraqi people are. As are their neighbors who struggled through the 2009 elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies