Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Proof? How about Thomas Paine's books.
When will you tell me about Beck including the whole of Paine's Common Sense in his own book by that name? Surely you have read Beck's book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But you say that Beck is not a journalist so how can you think he should be in Egypt. Does reading those left blogs so much twist your thinking that much?
Well, I just feel that for someone who is presenting a clearly popular TV show on the subject and who, I am sure, would want to be as professional and informed as possible that a visit to the scene of the action could enhance both his reputation and the quality of the program.

You know, by getting vindictive (left blog, twisted thinking) you just take away from your own argument and make yourself look a bit silly and petty. However, I am sure you are capable of holding down an intelligent exchange of views without resorting to name calling.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Any proof of that???
Did you not read I think?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Secular commies in cahoots with religious fundamentalists

Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
When will you tell me about Beck including the whole of Paine's Common Sense in his own book by that name? Surely you have read Beck's book.
Paine's Common Sense deals almost entirely with the British-American crisis, the undesirability of monarchy, proposed structuring of the American government, and other arguments that have been settled for over 200 years. It's worthy as a historical document, but does not provide support for any of Beck's politics, let alone his loony conspiracy theories (if the two things can be separated at all.)

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Beck is an entertainer. Like all entertainers he sought an audience niche. He very successfully identified an audience niche, and he very successfully continues to find ways to appeal to that specific audience. That audience thinks Beck's appeal should be to everyone. They don't see themselves the way that marketers and advertisers and entertainers see the market, all broken down into demographic segments, and further broken down into various interests. Beck's audience sees itself as representative of the whole market. And that's normal. All of us in our various sub-markets see ourselves as representative of much larger interests. We think that what's plain and clear and common sense to us is plain and clear and common sense to everyone. But it isn't so.

Beck is an entertainer. He's selling himself, he's selling a point-of-view, he's selling a package. And he's not going to recommend books and news sources that are going to contradict that package. He's not going to have guests who go too far from that package he's selling.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM

256 posts, read 216,401 times
Quote:
How do you know how he presents his material when, by your own admission, you don't watch him?
My, my. I said that I don't watch Glenn Beck (or any other biased news commentators). What that means to most English speaking people is that it is not something that I do as a regular on-going activity. Other languages have better verbs tenses to make that distinction more clearly.

But let me state it more clearly. I have seen Glenn Beck on television. I do not like his style of presentation. Therefore, I do not watch him.

Satisfied?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
OMG.......they just didn't know what the word meant! They had to google it so they could figure out how to talk about what he had fed them.
What is the difference between this and what Obama feeds his Sheeple and feed them he does!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Beck is an entertainer. Like all entertainers he sought an audience niche. He very successfully identified an audience niche, and he very successfully continues to find ways to appeal to that specific audience. That audience thinks Beck's appeal should be to everyone. They don't see themselves the way that marketers and advertisers and entertainers see the market, all broken down into demographic segments, and further broken down into various interests. Beck's audience sees itself as representative of the whole market. And that's normal. All of us in our various sub-markets see ourselves as representative of much larger interests. We think that what's plain and clear and common sense to us is plain and clear and common sense to everyone. But it isn't so.

Beck is an entertainer. He's selling himself, he's selling a point-of-view, he's selling a package. And he's not going to recommend books and news sources that are going to contradict that package. He's not going to have guests who go too far from that package he's selling.
He has openly invited Soros onto his show numerous times. He has recommended Saul Alinsky's, "Rules for Radicals" and other progressive books.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
He has openly invited Soros onto his show numerous times. He has recommended Saul Alinsky's, "Rules for Radicals" and other progressive books.
These poeple here that have so much to say about Beck, never even watched him once. They will say they did, but they are lying for the most part. You just proved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies