Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
He has openly invited Soros onto his show numerous times. He has recommended Saul Alinsky's, "Rules for Radicals" and other progressive books.
Rules for Radicals is not just for progressives. He has grandstanded an invitation to Soros, but how much of that grandstanding is simply for the audience. Have the bookers on his show contacted Soros' people? Have they really tried to accommodate Soros' schedule?

Beck is pandering to his audience. But he really doesn't recommend anything that doesn't further his own agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Rules for Radicals is not just for progressives. He has grandstanded an invitation to Soros, but how much of that grandstanding is simply for the audience. Have the bookers on his show contacted Soros' people? Have they really tried to accommodate Soros' schedule?"

Beck is pandering to his audience. But he really doesn't recommend anything that doesn't further his own agenda.
QUOTE=DC at the Ridge;17708474]"Rules for Radicals is not just for progressives."

Well, in a way you are correct, considering Alinsky's dedication to "the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment...Lucifer." So, I guess the book could also appeal to Devil Worshippers. (Although some might argue that Devil Worshippers and Progressives are one and the same...But we won't go there ) And then, of course, the book is for "Radicals."

"He has grandstanded an invitation to Soros, but how much of that grandstanding is simply for the audience. Have the bookers on his show contacted Soros' people? Have they really tried to accommodate Soros' schedule?"

Beck has openly, on-air invited Soros to come on his show as a guest. I haven't heard any response from Soros, claiming he tried and was privately rejected by Beck's staff. I think you are grasping at straws here.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
QUOTE=DC at the Ridge;17708474]"Rules for Radicals is not just for progressives."

Well, in a way you are correct, considering Alinsky's dedication to "the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment...Lucifer." So, I guess the book could also appeal to Devil Worshippers. (Although some might argue that Devil Worshippers and Progressives are one and the same...But we won't go there ) And then, of course, the book is for "Radicals."

"He has grandstanded an invitation to Soros, but how much of that grandstanding is simply for the audience. Have the bookers on his show contacted Soros' people? Have they really tried to accommodate Soros' schedule?"

Beck has openly, on-air invited Soros to come on his show as a guest. I haven't heard any response from Soros, claiming he tried and was privately rejected by Beck's staff. I think you are grasping at straws here.

You seem to be under a misapprehension that radical is an adjective that only applies to people on the left side of the political spectrum. Radical in this sense, means anyone proposing an extreme agenda, and they are on the right and the left.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
I suppose David Rockefeller is feeling bad these days about being upstaged by George Soros as chief scarecrow for the conspiracy kooks.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Beck's audience are by and large senior citizens, he tells them he won't talk down to them
then what does he do? He turns around and spells things out to them on a chalkboard as if
they were school kids....anybody who takes that idiot seriously seriously needs to seek help.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
What is Beck's beef with Frances Fox Piven all about.....anybody?

Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, I just feel that for someone who is presenting a clearly popular TV show on the subject and who, I am sure, would want to be as professional and informed as possible that a visit to the scene of the action could enhance both his reputation and the quality of the program.

You know, by getting vindictive (left blog, twisted thinking) you just take away from your own argument and make yourself look a bit silly and petty. However, I am sure you are capable of holding down an intelligent exchange of views without resorting to name calling.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with what Fox is talking about this afternoon. Old Shep just told about many more journalists being beaten in Egypt, some like Greg Palkot of Fox, much worse than Cooper appeared to be. Palkot is not out of the hospital and on his way home.

You do know that all the foreign journalists have been forced out of Egypt now so Beck will be forced to live a bit longer.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Paine's Common Sense deals almost entirely with the British-American crisis, the undesirability of monarchy, proposed structuring of the American government, and other arguments that have been settled for over 200 years. It's worthy as a historical document, but does not provide support for any of Beck's politics, let alone his loony conspiracy theories (if the two things can be separated at all.)
Did Paine include any numbers about naval power of the British and the colonists?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Beck is an entertainer. Like all entertainers he sought an audience niche. He very successfully identified an audience niche, and he very successfully continues to find ways to appeal to that specific audience. That audience thinks Beck's appeal should be to everyone. They don't see themselves the way that marketers and advertisers and entertainers see the market, all broken down into demographic segments, and further broken down into various interests. Beck's audience sees itself as representative of the whole market. And that's normal. All of us in our various sub-markets see ourselves as representative of much larger interests. We think that what's plain and clear and common sense to us is plain and clear and common sense to everyone. But it isn't so.

Beck is an entertainer. He's selling himself, he's selling a point-of-view, he's selling a package. And he's not going to recommend books and news sources that are going to contradict that package. He's not going to have guests who go too far from that package he's selling.
Exactly.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the ages of his viewers - the only people that I come across who ever seem to watch him are late 50's upwards. I'm sure some younger people watch him but I'd bet the majority are a lot older.

Edit: Agreed Meson ^

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Exactly.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the ages of his viewers - the only people that I come across who ever seem to watch him are late 50's upwards. I'm sure some younger people watch him but I'd bet the majority are a lot older.
There are a few studies out there that show his biggest audience are seniors. Beck also has the lowest number of advertisers on his show, many who advertise on fox, but refuse to do so on his show. Nearly all are the same "buy gold" ads over and over, with a senior mobility scooter ad thrown in here and there. He also has more house advertisements and "stalling" updates than anyone at fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies