Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Coward is a huge insult to gun lovers. They spend their lives trying to arm themselves, to prove how macho they are. Guns help them with their self esteem....so nobody will call them a coward.

my wife will laugh at your statement of "macho".

she owns more firearms than I do, my 2 oldest daughters do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
From the losers I've run across in Texas who are gun nuts. You start to notice patterns. Loners, white, low educated, unattractive to women, middle aged to elderly, out of shape, pot bellied,. etc.

Guns help boost their egos...they think they are really tough.

BTW I hunt and own guns myself, it's just I don't get some sense of self worth from it.
I think people who generalize and degrade an entire segment of the population using insults have a low self worth. oh yeah and they're pot bellied

Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well then hopefully you eat healthy and exercise too, since you're much, much more likely to die from heart disease or cancer than from being a victim of crime in the USA...
Spoken like a true liberal..

Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,695 times
Quote:
Coward is a huge insult to gun lovers. They spend their lives trying to arm themselves, to prove how macho they are. Guns help them with their self esteem....so nobody will call them a coward.
Quote:
From the losers I've run across in Texas who are gun nuts. You start to notice patterns. Loners, white, low educated, unattractive to women, middle aged to elderly, out of shape, pot bellied,. etc.

Guns help boost their egos...they think they are really tough.

BTW I hunt and own guns myself, it's just I don't get some sense of self worth from it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
I question your statistical methods.

84% of Texans are white. So, it stands that most gun owners in Texas would also be white. So, it stands that most 'gun nuts' you've run into in Texas would be white.

It's also possible that there is some selection bias in the people that you run into. Would you be 'middle aged to elderly'? If so it is likely that you would associate with other people who are 'middle aged to elderly'.

I also think it is possible that 'middle aged to elderly' people might be more apt to be 'unattractive to women'-at least in your view of what women might find attractive, 'out of shape', and 'pot bellied' than the general population.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The poster to whom you are referring appears to be factually correct.

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_19.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC
15 leading causes of death in 2007
1. Diseases of heart (heart disease)
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
15. Assault (homicide)
I don't know if that's what you presume of 'true liberal's.

I'd wager that 'true liberals', 'false liberals', 'true conservatives', 'false conservatives' and everyone else are probably factually correct at about the same rate.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Guns kept in the home for protection are 22 times more likely to be used to kill someone you know than to kill in self-defense.

Man Accidentally Shoots Wife During Sex | LiveScience

Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What makes that so liberal? The poster made a comment that he needed a gun to protect his life, because he was the family breadwinner. Statistically you're far more likely to be killed by common illnesses, heart disease, cancer, car accidents, etc, than be a victim of criminal violence. Logically, if one feels they need a gun to protect their life, they should take account of other things that could prematurely end their existence.

For most people not involved in the drug trade or living in high crime areas your odds of being killed by a criminal are extremely low in this country. And if you are killed by someone it's most likely to be someone you know.

And I'm not even against owning guns ,whether for home protection or hunting. I grew up with guns in the family. I don't feel the need to own one now, because I don't feel it would provide any additional safety or add to my well-being. And I'm not a hunter either.

But don't call me a coward, because I choose not to own a gun. I can walk confidently without fear through any neighborhood in my city. If that makes me more of a coward than a suburban gun owner too afraid to set foot in the city due to their own fears, than so be it.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,517,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Anyway, that article is well worth the read...
YES It is

Thanks for the post

'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter...don't mind...And those that mind...don't matter.'

Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Good point...btw I like guns, but I don't feel the need to own one. The stats show that areas and countries with less guns are safer. It's not coincidence.
How about whipping out a few of those stats? Recently on this very forum some stats appeared that showed how the number of gun crimes in the UK have grown so much recently. Now they outlawed gun ownership other than for hunting many years ago but it seems that so many people own guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies