Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I stand corrected.
I appreciate you saying so. If I had a dollar for everytime someone wrote "I stand corrected" on C-D, I'd have a grand total of about 3 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
I have yet to hear anyone explain how it's the government's responsibility to provide for it anymore than it's the government's duty to provide me an affordable car, or a 55 inch TV.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I have yet to hear anyone explain how it's the government's responsibility to provide for it anymore than it's the government's duty to provide me an affordable car, or a 55 inch TV.
They are not buying it for you they are giving you an affordable choice that you can buy yourself, why would you be against that?
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If you think Obamacare is an abomination then what is your solution for the millions of poor Americans who cannot afford extensive, critical health care?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjANCuW9kU
Failure has its consequences. Get better job skills, earn more pay and quit being a parasite.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They are not buying it for you they are giving you an affordable choice that you can buy yourself, why would you be against that?
Casper
Is that the role of the federal government? I think you'd have a real tough time justifying it according to the Constitution.

If california wants to go bankrupt providing it they can...but there is nothing in the Constitution that gives the Feds the right to do anything about healthcare.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Failure has its consequences. Get better job skills, earn more pay and quit being a parasite.
I am 23 years old and recently diagnosed with a cancer that most often hits people in their late teens and twenties. There is no prevention for Hodgkin's- the most credible link to why people get it at all is exposure to Epstein-Barr virus which causes mono (I have never had mono).

While I am lucky to have decent insurance provided by my employer, I cannot leave my job and go home to get care. I, instead, will have to work through chemo. It does not matter how sick cancer makes me, if I don't make it into work, I will face losing my job, losing my health insurance, and of course losing the income that I need just to pay rent.

While an unemployed recent grad, all I heard was "take a job, any job, and go where ever you find one". Well, I did that. I took a job 1000 miles from my family in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country because that was the first job offer I received in the 3 months since graduation. I took a job that's pay was much below what I expected, but hey, I'm "paying my dues" and "not being entitled".

Now that I can't afford to pay my cancer treatment copays and am upset that I will never again be able to afford insurance, the bulk of what I hear is "well, sorry that you're a failure, you did something wrong, you're not productive so you don't matter". I'm 23 years old. My copays for chemo are over twice what I make in a year- which is more than I made in my entire working life previously. After rent and utilities (I have no cable, my roommate's work pays for our wifi, my parents pay for the cell phone which I can only use for emergencies, free nights/weekends, and free family calls), I do not have that much left over. I only recently paid off some medical debt for PCOS (not life threatening, but uncomfortable) and debt from moving so my savings have taken a huge hit and I don't have more than maybe 2 months living expenses BEFORE medical costs in my account.

I have several other friends- in their first 2 or 3 years out of college or in their last year of school- who are also experiencing medical crises. What better job skills can we have when we're told we need to start at the bottom? What better pay are we supposed to get with only internships and part time jobs under our belts in a bad economy, while sick? I am lucky that my job comes with benefits like health insurance- I am one of the only ones at my top 30 university graduating class that I know of to have this perk. And thank G-d because otherwise, I would only have, at best, catastrophic coverage.

But honestly, what should we do? What should people who have lost their jobs do? What should college students do? What are your answers?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM

513 posts, read 580,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If you think Obamacare is an abomination then what is your solution for the millions of poor Americans who cannot afford extensive, critical health care?
Personal responsibility. If others don't want to take responsibility for something as monumental as their own health, it's not my problem.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am 23 years old and recently diagnosed with a cancer that most often hits people in their late teens and twenties. There is no prevention for Hodgkin's- the most credible link to why people get it at all is exposure to Epstein-Barr virus which causes mono (I have never had mono).

While I am lucky to have decent insurance provided by my employer, I cannot leave my job and go home to get care. I, instead, will have to work through chemo. It does not matter how sick cancer makes me, if I don't make it into work, I will face losing my job, losing my health insurance, and of course losing the income that I need just to pay rent.

While an unemployed recent grad, all I heard was "take a job, any job, and go where ever you find one". Well, I did that. I took a job 1000 miles from my family in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country because that was the first job offer I received in the 3 months since graduation. I took a job that's pay was much below what I expected, but hey, I'm "paying my dues" and "not being entitled".

Now that I can't afford to pay my cancer treatment copays and am upset that I will never again be able to afford insurance, the bulk of what I hear is "well, sorry that you're a failure, you did something wrong, you're not productive so you don't matter". I'm 23 years old. My copays for chemo are over twice what I make in a year- which is more than I made in my entire working life previously. After rent and utilities (I have no cable, my roommate's work pays for our wifi, my parents pay for the cell phone which I can only use for emergencies, free nights/weekends, and free family calls), I do not have that much left over. I only recently paid off some medical debt for PCOS (not life threatening, but uncomfortable) and debt from moving so my savings have taken a huge hit and I don't have more than maybe 2 months living expenses BEFORE medical costs in my account.

I have several other friends- in their first 2 or 3 years out of college or in their last year of school- who are also experiencing medical crises. What better job skills can we have when we're told we need to start at the bottom? What better pay are we supposed to get with only internships and part time jobs under our belts in a bad economy, while sick? I am lucky that my job comes with benefits like health insurance- I am one of the only ones at my top 30 university graduating class that I know of to have this perk. And thank G-d because otherwise, I would only have, at best, catastrophic coverage.

But honestly, what should we do? What should people who have lost their jobs do? What should college students do? What are your answers?
First step, never ever vote for another liberal, because they destroy all good things they touch - including the goose that lays all golden eggs, i.e. business.

A vibrant economy, fueled by pro-business policies including low taxes across the board will go great lenghts to help.

There just isin't enough money in the world to provide Ferrari health care to everyone. If you are a Pinto contributor, and need Ferrari health care, well you know the story.

Technology has provided massively improved health care, but it is very expensive - too expensive for all who need it to have it - so there has to be gatekeeping, and in this world, gatekeeping is done by bank account balances. It is tough, but no option exists. Offer it for "free" to "everyone" and it will last only a short time before demand exceeds supply manyfold and the system collapses, and everyone can only get Pinto health care, as it is in UK or Canada, or NO healthcare as it is in Cuba.

Lesson learned, be a Ferrari, cause they live longer, die older, more peacefully and in a lot less pain. If you chose to be a Pinto, well expect a Pinto demise.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
First step, never ever vote for another liberal, because they destroy all good things they touch - including the goose that lays all golden eggs, i.e. business.

A vibrant economy, fueled by pro-business policies including low taxes across the board will go great lenghts to help.

There just isin't enough money in the world to provide Ferrari health care to everyone. If you are a Pinto contributor, and need Ferrari health care, well you know the story.

Technology has provided massively improved health care, but it is very expensive - too expensive for all who need it to have it - so there has to be gatekeeping, and in this world, gatekeeping is done by bank account balances. It is tough, but no option exists. Offer it for "free" to "everyone" and it will last only a short time before demand exceeds supply manyfold and the system collapses, and everyone can only get Pinto health care, as it is in UK or Canada, or NO healthcare as it is in Cuba.

Lesson learned, be a Ferrari, cause they live longer, die older, more peacefully and in a lot less pain. If you chose to be a Pinto, well expect a Pinto demise.
I have lived in the UK. Far from "Pinto" healthcare.

So basically, you're saying that only the rich deserve to live and be healthy. Pretty much fits the profile...

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have lived in the UK. Far from "Pinto" healthcare.

So basically, you're saying that only the rich deserve to live and be healthy. Pretty much fits the profile...
In life "merit" is based on contributioin. You merit nothing for free except air to breath. Everything else you must earn.

Most adults understand this. It is the only way things can work because, believe it or not, none of the goods and services we demand, use and consume fall from the sky like manna.

Adult life is about earning money to pay your way, and the way of your dependents. Too many people find this offensive, but that is too bad, the facts of life are as they are.

And yes you had Pinto healthcare, you just didn't know it. For example, a woman who gets BC (that medical jingo for Breast Cancer) who is over the age of 45 is denied service and croaks. Pinto health care at best.

And believe me, I unlike you, grew up in UK, Yorkshire, used to be East Riding of Yorkshire, on the Wolds, Driffield to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies