Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Good for them . Americans that favor America .
You mean this is good for America?

Quote:
Koch Industries has a long history of multi-million dollar fines from the EPA and Justice Department for everything from oil spills to dumping toxic chemicals. Even the Bush administration fined them for covering up the illegal dumping of 91 tons of carcinogenic benzene--though John ******** got potential fines of $350 million knocked down to a $20 million slap on the wrist for falsifying documents.

What makes the Koch Brothers particularly scary, though, is not that they reflexively oppose any change that might hurt their own bottom line. That doesn't make them all that different from Massey Energy or Chevron or lots of other big polluters (Koch Industries was ranked in the top ten of air polluters in the U.S. by a University of Massachusetts study). What's different about the Kochs is that they subscribe to a radical libertarian philosophy that opposes any governmental safeguards to protect people or the environment. It's a grim vision of our country that few Americans would ever subscribe to if they could see it plainly, and yet -- thanks to the brothers' enormous wealth -- it's had an out-sized effect on both our government and our public discourse. It's like a hidden riptide that keeps pulling you out to sea no matter how hard you strike toward the shore.
I don't think that illegally dumping 91 tons of carcinogenic benzene is 'good for America'. Nor do I think being in the top ten air polluters is 'good for America'.

What kind of brain defends someone like the Kochs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
You mean this is good for America?

I don't think that illegally dumping 91 tons of carcinogenic benzene is 'good for America'. Nor do I think being in the top ten air polluters is 'good for America'.

What kind of brain defends someone like the Kochs?
What kind of brain let's GE pollute just because they are in the WH? Oh, that's right, his name is Barack Obama.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can you link to any meeting that Soros has had with the USSC?
Anything at all?

Hmmmm, the Cheney Energy Plan... did you complain about the closed door meetings there?

Is your search engine broken?
BTW, this is a Koch Brothers thread.
Excuuuuse me. I didn't know you were in charge.

This thread is about people having behind the door meetings, contrary to what you believe.

As I know you know we are showing the hypocrisy in the complaints. You complain when someone from the right does it but, don't complaing when the same thing is done on the left.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Was it with the USSC?
Purposely missing the point again, I see.

My response was to another poster's comment.
Do feel free to take it out of context, it's expected.
Why are singling out the USSC? There were a lot of other people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies