Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

This insane "law" was presented on a radio show today (no, not Limbaugh/Beck/etc, think small scale audience). Who would actually follow such a "law", considering that the money you have earned is now yours and no longer the government's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This insane "law" was presented on a radio show today (no, not Limbaugh/Beck/etc, think small scale audience). Who would actually follow such a "law", considering that the money you have earned is now yours and no longer the government's?
Now where is jetgraphics when you need him ???

That money is not money..it's an I.O.U.

The coins themselves have barter value.
Once melted the metal has real value if you understand that.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now where is jetgraphics when you need him ???

That money is not money..it's an I.O.U.
Even coins? It doesn't say "federal reserve note" on the coin. How is the money you earn not your property? Who would dream up a demented system like that?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Even coins? It doesn't say "federal reserve note" on the coin.
I added to my post.

The melted metal has more value than the coin itself.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I added to my post.

The melted metal has more value than the coin itself.
That still doesn't address my question. Since it's your property, how is this "law" enforceable?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
That still doesn't address my question. Since it's your property, how is this "law" enforceable?
It's not really. Who is going to know what you did ?
Until the DHS can watch our every move 24/7 you can melt away.

Used to be pennies/nickels that garnered some money for the melted metals. The metal was worth more than the face value of the coin.
Government big shots just got worried that it would lead to shortages of coins in circulation.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I'm not an expert on the subject but this how I understand it, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You earn a 'value', not currency. Currency is a government property that secures the value of your earnings and assets. It is yours to spend or store as you like, but its material existence in the form of bills or coins is essentially government property.

That is to say the government could theoretically 'take your currency away' as long as they continue to secure your assets. For example, the government could 'take away' your dollar bills by issuing another currency of equal value, say a One-dollar coin, to which you would have a right in exchange for the now worthless dollar bills in your possession.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
pre-1983 pennies are now worth more than 3 cents in copper value. nickels are worth about 7 cents.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm not an expert on the subject but this how I understand it, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You earn a 'value', not currency. Currency is a government property that secures the value of your earnings and assets. It is yours to spend or store as you like, but its material existence in the form of bills or coins is essentially government property.

That is to say the government could theoretically 'take your currency away' as long as they continue to secure your assets. For example, the government could 'take away' your dollar bills by issuing another currency of equal value, say a One-dollar coin, to which you would have a right in exchange for the now worthless dollar bills in your possession.
I dunno...that sounds like lawyer speak to me. I work/produce, I earn something in exchange. Whether it is wampum, gold, or coins, it is irrelevant. The government cannot have it both ways.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
I dunno...that sounds like lawyer speak to me. I work/produce, I earn something in exchange. Whether it is wampum, gold, or coins, it is irrelevant. The government cannot have it both ways.
Should be this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies