Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I agree. But the people we choose to associate with says a lot about us.

The horrible racist angry sermons the Rev. Jeremiah Wright gave from his pulpit speaks volumes.

Obama attended these sevices. Most discerning people would have walked out in horror when he spewed his hate.

Now Obama, conveniently, has two different takes on this. On the one hand he said he was a "regular churchgoer" but when push came to shove he stated that he, "attended sporatically." Infering that he must have missed the most controversial and hatefilled Sundays. lol.
It has to do with a persons judgment. Why would he continue to associate with such a man. I would use the term "pastor" loosely in this case.
I don't know. Maybe he was like me: I don't "associate" with the pastor nearly so much as I "associate" with Jesus and the congregation of like-minded believers.

I've gotten up and walked out of sermons before, as a statement of objection, but have not yet turned my back on either Christ or the congregation itself and I won't until I perceive they've either been abandoned by the Spirit or turned their backs on Christ.

Pastor's come and go; the Church lives on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What behaviors of his do you find suspect?
We're told repeatedly in the New Testament that the one, true evidence of real salvation is the outpouring of the Holy Spirit into the lives of those who truly believe. The Spirit is the seal of God on our redemption and righteousness. In other words, no Spirit...no salvation.
And, Paul gives us these evidences of the fruits of the Spirit, which are the outward evidences of the in-dwelling of that Spirit:
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Which of these does the life Barack Obama not exemplify?
It is of course not my place to judge.
You ask me which of these does Obama not exemplify. I don't see meakness, temerance, gentleness, faitfullness, or goodness in him.

He certainly isn't meak. He comes off as angry, arrogant and thinks he knows what is best for the citizens of the U.S. He is not willing to listen to the people.

He has been rude and condescending to those who don't agree with him: "those who cling to their religion and their guns."
Have you forgotten so quickly the many things he has said?

How can he mock the very people, Christians. he professes to belong to?

How can he be a faithful Christian one minute and then mock and demean those who hold to their Christian faith? Ya can't have it both ways.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
You ask me which of these does Obama not exemplify. I don't see meakness, temerance, gentleness, faitfullness, or goodness in him.

He certainly isn't meak. He comes off as angry, arrogant and thinks he knows what is best for the citizens of the U.S. He is not willing to listen to the people.

He has been rude and condescending to those who don't agree with him: "those who cling to their religion and their guns."
Have you forgotten so quickly the many things he has said?

How can he mock the very people, Christians. he professes to belong to?

How can he be a faithful Christian one minute and then mock and demean those who hold to their Christian faith? Ya can't have it both ways.
Since when is clinging to ones religion a bad thing? How is it mocking? As a regular church attender, I've noticed at times of tragedy the church is always fuller.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Since when is clinging to ones religion a bad thing? How is it mocking? As a regular church attender, I've noticed at times of tragedy the church is always fuller.
Obama mocked people who: "Cling to their guns and religion"

The tone and the intent of Obama's statement was defintely mocking and derisive.
Clinging, in the way Obama used it infers weakaness.

Are you not familiar with the context of the speech? It was not a compliment I can assure you that.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Obama mocked people who: "Cling to their guns and religion"

The tone and the intent of Obama's statement was defintely mocking and derisive.
Clinging, in the way Obama used it infers weakaness.

Are you not familiar with the context of the speech? It was not a compliment I can assure you that.
Yes I am familiar with the context and I disagree with your interpretation.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Yes I am familiar with the context and I disagree with your interpretation.
Interesting. So you see it as a compliment?
This would be a first. I thnk it is generally agreed that it was a put down to the clingers lol!
I believe he was addressing small towns in Pennsylvania who were, in his words frustrated.

Here is Hillary's Clinton take on his comment:
I was taken aback by the demeaning remarks Senator Obama made about people in small-town America," she said on Saturday. "His remarks are elitist and out of touch." Clinton campaigners in North Carolina handed out stickers saying: "I'm not bitter."

Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
You don't? I sure do.

Well, like you said, not your place to judge.

Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.

Matthew 7:3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?

Right?

Right?

Can I get an "Amen?"

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You don't? I sure do.
Well, like you said, not your place to judge.
Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.
Matthew 7:3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
Right?
Right?
Can I get an "Amen?"
Hmm. Maybe you didn't read the question. I stated up front it is not my place to judge Obama, his heart, or intent. I also said in earlier post that if he says he is a Christian then I take that at face value.

Then the poster ask me a specific question: he presented a list and asked which traits I saw or didn't see exemplified in Obama and I answered.
That is not judging a person. I said I did not see meekness or humiity in Obama and I don't. He can still of course be a Christian and not exemplify humility or meekness but we will be known by our actions and words.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Interesting. So you see it as a compliment?
This would be a first. I thnk it is generally agreed that it was a put down to the clingers lol!
I believe he was addressing small towns in Pennsylvania who were, in his words frustrated.

Here is Hillary's Clinton take on his comment:
I was taken aback by the demeaning remarks Senator Obama made about people in small-town America," she said on Saturday. "His remarks are elitist and out of touch." Clinton campaigners in North Carolina handed out stickers saying: "I'm not bitter."
Hmm, wonder why would a political opponent at the time would try and spin it into something it wasn't? I just can't imagine.

It isn't a compliment or criticism. It is an accurate assessment of human behavior that doesn't only apply to small town Pennsylvania.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
One thing that perplexes me in all of this debate is why President Bush was held up as a hero for turning to Christ after years of alcoholism, drug abuse, and general debauchery until the age of 40, and Obama is reviled for his own awakening to Christ. Granted, Obama didn't have as many sins for which to atone, so there isn't as much of a dramatic conversion, as it were.

Still strikes me as a strange double standard. I don't get why any of it is anyone's business but his own, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies