Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:08 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. How are the "poor" getting enough money to buy so much food that they overeat?
See the second part of my post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,511 times
On average, obese people pay more for their affliction in healthcare, sick time used up, upkeep of a preferred quality of life, etc. That in essence is a "tax". If the increase in living costs doesn't dissuade overeating, then a "fat" tax added onto food is not going to either. Since that is the expressed purpose of the tax, then, in my opinion, it will not work, and I am against it.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,840,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
After some deliberation, I've decided that I'm for a well-conceived Fat Tax. That's the tax that would be on unhealthy foods. If we're going to tax the crap out of cigarettes and achololic beverages, might as well go all-out and tax Pepsi, Big Macs and Baby Ruths. It would especially make sense if we had tax-paid health care. Use the Fat Tax to pay for the health care.
You must not like having freedom. You might wanna try Cuba. Cuba has universal healthcare. I wouldnt recommend getting sick though once you become a citizen

Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,910,955 times
Quote:
After some deliberation, I've decided that I'm for a well-conceived Fat Tax. That's the tax that would be on unhealthy foods. If we're going to tax the crap out of cigarettes and achololic beverages, might as well go all-out and tax Pepsi, Big Macs and Baby Ruths. It would especially make sense if we had tax-paid health care. Use the Fat Tax to pay for the health care.

Why don't you take that personal conviction, regardless of your eating style or weight, and since you support high taxation, just mail you check to the US Treasury to pay down the debt!

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/for...ormId=23779454

Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,588,079 times
If anyone thinks overweight automatically means properly nourished, then they're clueless. A properly nourished person generally will not be overweight.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,373,641 times
Quote:
A flat percentage tax for each and every American above the rate of 30,000 dollars a year is whats needed.

It needs to be a tax that is high enough to balance the budget, with a 5% increase to pay down the debt.

Of course all other federal taxes should be abolished to do this. No more social security, medicare, gas tax, etc.

Just one tax on all income over 30K a year, for each and every citizen. If you make more, you pay more.

Of course the tax rate would probably be above 35%.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,550 times
The fat tax, just like the smoking tax, is about anything BUT fat or smoking. It is a ruse that you fall for to empower more people in our government and the lobbyists who support them.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
If anyone thinks overweight automatically means properly nourished, then they're clueless. A properly nourished person generally will not be overweight.
I think you have that backwards. An overweight person who buys cheap food in bulk so that they can overeat instead of buying more nutritious food and eating in moderation is clueless. And no one has explained where the supposedly "poor" get the money to buy that non-nutritious food in mass quantities.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM

898 posts, read 827,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. How are the "poor" getting enough money to buy so much food that they overeat?
You're young, obtuse, or both. Food stamps and starch. Take a look around before you speak.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,356 times
Quote:

Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies