Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Apparently there may be an effort there to investigate his ordering torture.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/wo...er=rss&emc=rss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

Good for Switzerland. He's an admitted torturer.

If only Americans had the balls to hold their elites to the same standard ordinary Americans are held to.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:

How much torture did he order on the Swiss, I was not aware they were involved in anything?
Maybe he took a few bank accounts they didn't like to give up and now with the IRS busting people there hiding money, maybe they are just pissed.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
How much torture did he order on the Swiss, I was not aware they were involved in anything?
Maybe he took a few bank accounts they didn't like to give up and now with the IRS busting people there hiding money, maybe they are just pissed.
Of course you not aware! That's your typical Nationalist....not only do you not care if "foreigners" are tortured ....your also "unaware" that what the US did could be illegal and able to be prosecuted under the UN Convention on Torture.
Both the Swiss and the USA are parties to that treaty.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of course you not aware! That's your typical Nationalist....not only do you not care if "foreigners" are tortured ....your also "unaware" that what the US did could be illegal and able to be prosecuted under the UN Convention on Torture.
Sit tight while I try and locate my tiny little violin. I'll play a little diddy for you.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So enlighten me, were Swiss nationals or terrorist possible tortured?
Who were the Swiss ones?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The US signed the 1949 Geneva Convention. Geneva is in Switzerland. Torture is a violation of the Convention. Violations of the Convention would adjudicated in Geneva, which I believe was earlier mentioned, to be in Switzerland.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:05 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quote:

Apparently, if you read the article, you's see the groups are two whacked out leftie groups from NY. Nothing will come of it. It certainly wasn't being pushed by the Swiss government. Get real already. They just wanted to embarass him and cause him to cancel his trip They succeeded. Big deal. whoop dee do.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Apparently, if you read the article, you's see the groups are two whacked out leftie groups from NY. Nothing will come of it. It certainly wasn't being pushed by the Swiss government. Get real already. They just wanted to embarass him and cause him to cancel his trip They succeeded. Big deal. whoop dee do.
Your are completely off-base and incorrect on virtually everything you said.

Torture is a crime in domestic and international law. Including in the United States.

In 1987 Switzerland ratified a pact, Convention on Torture, along with 146 other nations (including the United States). It outlaws any form of torture, specifically water boarding and any other form of cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment. It requires any country party to ratifying that pact, to arrest and prosecute any person suspected of torture if they enter into that country's territory.

One of the main groups pushing for the arrest of former President Bush is the right-wing People's Party of Switzerland.

And what's already "come of it" is the fact the President Bush has canceled his trip. The pact offers no exemption for former heads of state as I understand it.

Just because the United States has chosen to ignore its own violation of this pact, does not mean every other country will.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 02-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: changed word.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The US signed the 1949 Geneva Convention. Geneva is in Switzerland. Torture is a violation of the Convention. Violations of the Convention would adjudicated in Geneva, which I believe was earlier mentioned, to be in Switzerland.
Water boarding is actually done in training to some in the armed forces as training. It is tough to go through but and is no fun, but if that is torture that is the most humane I've ever heard of.

If we know a terrorist has information on where a nuke is about to blow up, I don't propose we give a manicure, I'd much sooner see nails pulled out for starters.
We are in different world now where you have beheading terrorist who are delusional and believe if they die in homicide bombings that they might finally get laid in the after life.
I don't think you can wait when people have information on major scales regarding attacks.
Plus there are not armies, these are independent terrorists.

These terrorist behead, skin alive, break bones, pull bones out through skin, bleed people. break joints, pluck out eye balls and so forth.
I think they deserve a full measure of wrath regarding getting information if we know they have it.

From what I remember reading, about three people got most of the water boarding.
Three people vs innocent dying in a terrorist attack, and all three are fine afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies