Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
It's even sadder that some (Conservatives) focus on the worst segment of the black race as a representation of the whole. There are an incredible number of articulate, educated, extraordinary black people in this country. They raise their kids to do well and their kids do indeed excel. But is this newsworthy? Absolutely not. Is FOX news going to focus on this aspect of the talented black race to inform its viewers?
Ok, now open your other eye and tell us what left-leaning mainstream news organization focuses on average successful blacks. Seriously, it's as if none exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
What they will focus on is the poorest and most disadvantaged segment. Quite pathetic.
Now with both eyes wide open, you should be seeing that the mainstream and society in general has a disproportionate focus on this segment.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Here's a timely story and ONE solution to the problem - VOUCHERS, so that kids can get OUT of failing and under performing schools.

The dems and obama unbelievably cut funding for this very successful program, because of the teacher's unions.

All Opinions Are Local - What school vouchers have bought for my family

It is a terrible injustice that parents/kids are forced to attend dangerous failing schools all because the teacher's unions want to retain their power and funding.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So..let's not talk about one without talking about the other too? I think you'll find a lot of "white trash" threads on this board.

There is no denying the black community at large is in deep trouble, lost generation(s), due to poverty, illiteracy, gangs, drugs, violence, teenage pregnancy, etc.

What is the solution when today's kids have the attitude that to do well in school, stay away from unhealthy peer pressure, is not the "cool" thing to do, it's just trying to fit in the "white man's world"? This is the attitude that's out there is some communities. It is shameful and tragic.

What are the causes that led to 77% of black families in two-parent homes 30 years ago to that statistic cut in half today?

Did you even bother to read the article?
Sorry, point me to the many white trash threads, and when I get there (which I doubt) will I see the same amount of vitriol posted there??...something tells me not.

You ask what are the causes, many of us know those causes already, some popular and some not...where are the solutions offered in this thread, or was that the purpose of this thread anyway??

Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry, point me to the many white trash threads, and when I get there (which I doubt) will I see the same amount of vitriol posted there??...something tells me not.

You ask what are the causes, many of us know those causes already, some popular and some not...where are the solutions offered in this thread, or was that the purpose of this thread anyway??
The story in post #114 is ONE solution.

Education IS the key.

Just do a search on some keywords on this board - you will find them.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
The story in post #114 is ONE solution.

Education IS the key.

Just do a search on some keywords on this board - you will find them.
lol...yeah okay education...where have you been???...we don't want education now???.

It was you who stated the amount of white trash threads, it was your assertion, and I asked for proof.

So far nothing...thanks,ok.

My old high school/Renaissance H.S.

Renaissance is a college preparatory high school. We are an application/examination high school in which students apply in the Fall of their 8th grade year and take an exam administrated in January or February. Students take seven classes each semester: five academic and two electives. Students take four years of English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Foreign Language. Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA to remain in Renaissance. Graduates amass over three million dollars in scholarships and are accepted to colleges/universities across the country including Yale, Harvard, Penn State, Wharton School of Business, Fordham, Howard, and University of Michigan.

Awards
Blue Ribbon School.
Girls Basketball District and regional Champs.
Academic Games Senior Division won 4 State Champions.
Academic Games Junior Division won 1st Place, Equations.
Boys Basketball State Champs, 2004.
Volleyball 7 time City Champs.

Ethnicity Percentage Students
Black or African American 98.1% 1,093
Renaissance High School - Detroit Public Schools

My sister's old high school/ Cass Tech H.S.

About Us
Cass Technical High School, twice recognized for excellence in education by the US Department of Education, is a unique institution with high expectations for its staff and students. As a city wide college preparatory school, Cass Tech offers basic and advanced academic, scientific, and artistic studies for students with the ability and potential to meet the challenge. Rich in a tradition of success since 1917, Cass fulfills a special role in the development of its multi-ethnic student body with energy and pride. The unique curriculum structure at Cass offers opportunities for advanced study in specialized fields.

Cass takes students with special interests, abilities, and motivates them to expand and develop in a learning environment enhanced with enthusiastic teachers and peers. Ninety-five percent of Cass graduates attend college. Last year’s Cass Tech graduates were awarded more than 7.5 million in scholarships and grants.

Cass has a unique curriculum structure. All students are required to take a basic college preparatory core program that consists of 200 credit hours in the areas of English, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, Foreign Language, Physical Education, Health, and Computer Applications.

Ethnicity Percentage Students
Black or African American 90.7% 1,93

Programs

Academic Games
Advanced Placement Classes
After School Tutorial & Art Club
AgriScience Classes
Art Classes
Art Enrichment Program
Band and Orchestra
Build On
Business Professionals of America and SkillsUSA
Ceramics Club
Cheerleading
Chess Club
Computer Aided Drafting/Design
DECA
DSA - Diverse Student Association
Foreign Language Classes
French Club
Girls and Boys Basketball
Great Debaters
Japanese
Marching Band/Orchestra
Robotics/Lego
Scholarship Club
Swim Team
Transition Buddies
Volleyball

Black High Schools where we are expected and do perform well. Please stop the misinformation that black people do not value an education.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Black High Schools where we are expected and do perform well. Please stop the misinformation that black people do not value an education.
These are the exceptions, not the rule and I think you must know that.

I don't think anyone claimed there are not some schools out there performing well, but the vast majority of inner city schools are failing the kids.

Just look a DC schools - tons of money per pupil, abysmal statistics, parents desperate to get the kids out.

Do you approve of the voucher system?

Quote:
And if they are well represented,then why don't we have a million and one threads about why nearly have of the white people in this country are too shiftless, lazy, and without personal responcibility to pull themselves up from povery???...we have a million and one about black people.

I don't get on this board and crow about one group of people while ignoring the problems of my own, nor do I profess the "one" solution (whatever that may be) that will uplift the many blacks and whites that are mired in poverty for whatever reason, one thing I know is that everybody can't be saved because some don't want to be.
No, I think you brought up "white threads" first.

Again, can't talk about individual races without offending someone?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
As I said, the topic to you is race-baiting, but have you written the black WaPo columnist and told him of your objections? If we never talk about the situation for fear of someone playing the race card, how can there ever be solution(s) to the problem?

I would really love to see all the "over and over again" threads, really would.

If you don't like the topic, just move right along.

Seriously, stop trying to make it personal and discuss the topic or find another thread more to your liking.

I think the author, who KNOWS of which he speaks, sums it up here;

I think like Cosby, who tried to open some eyes in the black community about cause and effect, is probably as frustrated as this author.

No, the real issue is that we all know you would NEVER have made a thread about broke white people up in the Appalachians. What do you think the poverty/wedlock/literacy rate is up there? Why aren't you equally interested about that enough to make a thread?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,178 times
Quote:
Here's a timely story and ONE solution to the problem - VOUCHERS, so that kids can get OUT of failing and under performing schools.

The dems and obama unbelievably cut funding for this very successful program, because of the teacher's unions.

All Opinions Are Local - What school vouchers have bought for my family

It is a terrible injustice that parents/kids are forced to attend dangerous failing schools all because the teacher's unions want to retain their power and funding.

Yes, but aren't vouchers just bandaids for the problem the author of your first post identifies in his article on p. 2?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Yes, but aren't vouchers just bandaids for the problem the author of your first post identifies in his article on p. 2?
Well, I said ONE solution to the many problems they face.

Again, education is the key.

If the voucher program can get these kids out of failing schools and on the road to success, all power to it.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,083 times
Quote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

The Disintegration of the Black Family-lr9.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies