Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
First of all, the trend you are referencing is a trend evident in all families, not simply black ones. It is seen more sharply in the black community for a number of reasons, particularly higher levels of poverty, which are also connected to an incredible incarceration rate for blacks and a lack of education in poor black communities. Welfare is simply not a central factor here. It goes much deeper than that, which is why your reading is so outrageously shallow.
Good evening,

If these are the reasons for the current 72% rate, then how was the out of wedlock rate LOWER pre-1960s, during times of worse oppression against Blacks? Using your causes, shouldn't the out of wedlock rates been HIGHER pre-Civil Rights Era?

I believe it's simply indicative of the direction of society in general since it's increased for all races. Yes, I do acknowledge it has increased at a higher rate for Blacks. The faster rate is the only real mystery here, not the fact that it's happened since all races are headed in the same direction.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good evening,

If these are the reasons for the current 72% rate, then how was the out of wedlock rate LOWER pre-1960s, during times of worse oppression against Blacks? Using your causes, shouldn't the out of wedlock rates been HIGHER pre-Civil Rights Era?

I believe it's simply indicative of the direction of society in general since it's increased for all races. Yes, I do acknowledge it has increased at a higher rate for Blacks. The faster rate is the only real mystery here, not the fact that it's happened since all races are headed in the same direction.
One would think so. Good point.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ding, ding, ding!! That's the bottom line. As a black man, i'm really not interested in the opinions of outsiders unless they have something constructive to say and want to work with the community to help. But raw criticism just for the hell of having someone to look down upon? Naaaah...i'll pass. That's why i've limited my comments in this thread. I usually only discuss this stuff with black folks where these discussions belong.
I completely agree with this. There could be 999 law-abiding Black people who mind their own business, go to work, go to school, pay their taxes, pay their mortgages, shop for groceries, take a family vacation, go to church, visit grandma, etc.....but far too many White people will repeatedly point to that one person who is like a walking stereotype and assert that they are representative of the whole.

So there really is no point in discussing the issue with non-Blacks. Non-Blacks, in general, simply do not have a benevolent interest in the success of Black America.

With that being said, I think that Black people (in general) need to take a cue from Asians. Rarely do Asian people discuss anything negative about their own. All of their "issues" (money problems, spousal abuse, substance abuse, sexual abuse, etc) are handled privately, discreetly and, if at all possible, without the knowledge of non-Asians. Also think that Asians truly understand that the majority will always seek out opportunities to highlight how the minority is "different" or "apart from" the majority.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I completely agree with this. There could be 999 law-abiding Black people who mind their own business, go to work, go to school, pay their taxes, pay their mortgages, shop for groceries, take a family vacation, go to church, visit grandma, etc.....but far too many White people will repeatedly point to that one person who is like a walking stereotype and assert that they are representative of the whole.

So there really is no point in discussing the issue with non-Blacks. Non-Blacks, in general, simply do not have a benevolent interest in the success of Black America.

With that being said, I think that Black people (in general) need to take a cue from Asians. Rarely do Asian people discuss anything negative about their own. All of their "issues" (money problems, spousal abuse, substance abuse, sexual abuse, etc) are handled privately, discreetly and, if at all possible, without the knowledge of non-Asians. Also think that Asians truly understand that the majority will always seek out opportunities to highlight how the minority is "different" or "apart from" the majority.
Yea, i can agree with that. Hell, we can ALL learn a thing or two from other successful groups.

But i'm not about to go back and forth with a bunch of clowns around here who just want to be hateful. I mean, NOTHING brought up in the OP is new...it's been gone over at length in other threads before. Some people just want to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. Non-blacks don't give a damn about our problems no more than we give a damn about theirs.

Hell, i'm married to a non-black and i don't even discuss this stuff with her. For what? Intra-black issues can't and won't be solved by outsiders. Any progress we've had so far has been because of us putting in our own work, not because some outsider became the catalyst.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good evening,

So you basically say exactly what I said at the beginning of your second paragraph, why? You ignore that marriage rates decrease as income levels decrease. The decline in marriages is the general tendency in the United States, as I stated before in the post you quoted and decided to echo, and this decline is linked strongly to poverty levels. As much of the black population is amongst the poorest quintile of our society, black marriage rates experience a sharper drop than those of other races.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Black ppl with no money waste there money on the dumbest things.

Ive actually seen quite a few cars like this in person. A lucky charms one and a captain crunch one.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Didn't you get the memo in the 1980's? Liberals don't believe in "family values" and look how well it is working out for their most reliable constitutents!
yes, there is this idea out there that any "family" structure is just as good as a normal 2 parent family and its offensive to suggest otherwise. but the 2 parent family is our best method of raising good children and the other ways just arent as good.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Bill Cosby is right and he tried to put a bright light on what was going on in the community, to no avail, as the Jesse's and Al's of the status quo came out to attack him for telling the truth.
You'd think Bill, Jesse & Al are the only black people on the earth since there names come up so much in these threads.

Quote:
The simple answer is that the solution to issues facing Black Americans must come from within.
yes but when we do that; when we set up programs and scholarships and organizations, then the others get up on their chairs and start screaming racism.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

The news cameras just don't ever seem to be on the scene following the everyday Black people around, but I know quite a few of them, through work or from my neighborhood. I'm not talking about five or ten or twenty people, either.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Basically normal people don't make for good news stories. It's not sensational enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies