Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

I didn't even bother reading past the second page of this thread. This is the kind of DUMB conversation that leaves me speechless. He isn't telling people they have an obligation to hire more workers--if you actually read it, he's saying they should stop hiring offshore and focus on the US.

You know why? Because 2/3 of the corporations in this country pay ZERO taxes, and some of the worst offenders get huge government welfare payments, still pay no taxes and then hire off shore. Small business gets taxed at some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, and we're the ones doing the hiring. If we get tax breaks, we can turn around and reinvest in our businesses HERE AT HOME. That stimulates private sector job creation.

Why in the H*LL are we paying government welfare payments to companies who contribute zero back to our economy--no taxes, and no jobs? You think that's a good plan?

I'm a small business owner. The plan he laid out in the SOTU is to cut the corporate tax rate to a rate competitive to the rest of the world--right now small business carries the entire tax burden in this country--then close the loopholes so companies have to actually pay, and stop the pork to corporations that hire off shore.

His comments on job development were directed at fostering entrepreneurism in new and emerging industries, and hiring HERE AT HOME.

The part that blows me away--this is about as traditionally REPUBLICAN a plan as you can get--cutting taxes, encouraging small business development, cutting subsidies, and not only buying American but hiring American. IT'S A GREAT PLAN FOR BUSINESS. Some of you claim to be business geniuses (everybody on CD has a sucessful business....right ) but you're so emotional about hating the other side that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face if the REPUBLICAN plan comes from a DEMOCRATIC president.

I'm not emotional, but I like to make money. I don't care who gets the corporate tax cuts done in this country, and who creates a plan for small business, as long as it HAPPENS. I've voted for both sides, and the side I'm voting for next time is going to be the one who gets their butts in gear to actually get something done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is not that simple.

Really, start your own company.

You will see.
I think a certain poster on here is a legend in his own mind.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
100% agreed. No one is going to hire people to just stand around.

The need has to be there.
Stating the obvious, eh?

If someone mentions that they could hire more workers but they're going to wait until such-and such a point, that means that they either have increased demand or are anticipating increased demand. How could a real business owner base such a decision on who's in the White House? Answer: YOU CAN'T!! If you have increased demand that needs more employees to service customers, you hire those employees, or lose customers. It's that simple. If you can't service those customers, your competitors will.

But no matter how good demand is, you're not going to hire until there is a president that you like in the White House? Tell me a ultra successful businessman who has ever used that tactic? Obama could be there for another 6 years....c'mon! Who are you guys trying to fool?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would venture that there are a good number of retired folks as well.
That's a pretty big blanket statement without any data to back it up.

From the content of posts one can tell who really owns their own business vs corporate monkeys. I don't feel the need to call them out though..I just skip their posts because they ASSume to obviously "know it all".

Not worth getting upset over dd because they will continue to post their dribble.
Tex...i'm trying to behave...seriously. And i know that i'm generalizing, but some of these comments just have to be called out. But yea, you're right, i'm pretty much wasting my time.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. That's EXACTLY what i'm saying.

Everyone on C-D is a working stiff. Perhaps one or two people (i know for a fact that a few physicians and at least one lawyer is on here) are legit, but everyone else is schlepping a brownbag to work IMO.
That's just it--nobody who actually owns a small business is going to object to cutting the corporate tax rate so we can reinvest that money in our businesses--and that's exactly how you stimulate private sector job creation. Like I said, I could care less who that proposal comes from, just so it happens. This whole thread is unbelievable.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You COULD hire more workers? That means that you're ripe for expansion because of increased demand, which means more business and more profits. You'd intentionally NOT hire because you don't like the man in the White House? Never heard of that....sorry.

Once again I will try to explain it to you, as you obviously have never owned your own business.

First I will start by saying that the current, idiotic POTUS is destroying business with his policies. If you do not understand that, there is a host of information available to you on the internet - or talk to a business owner.

In order to expand a business, one needs to look at the costs of expansion, versus the potential future profits due to that expansion. Hiring and expanding does not guarantee increased profit. If one outweighs the other, you make your decision. In this current economy, and again, with Obummer's anti-business attitude, I will stand more on the conservative side and wait. Our profits are good right now. Of course, there are other aspects that go into deciding to expand, this is just a very simple version. I make sure our business has a 5 year business plan/projection and also a yearly one which is updated on a regular basis. Hiring is certainly in our projections, but again, I will wait until Obummer is out of office and can do so since my profit margin is good and we have steady business on our books for the next two years.

You have made some really rude comments about your perception of people on this forum and their jobs or lack there of. Maybe you need to look in the mirror a few times.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Because 2/3 of the corporations in this country pay ZERO taxes, and some of the worst offenders get huge government welfare payments, still pay no taxes and then hire off shore.

Which TOTALLY explains why General Electric actually got millions in government bailout money despite posting huge annual profits...right?

Oh yeah...I forgot they made huge campaign contributions to Barry.

BTW...what happened to that website where we could report stimulus money abuses and waste?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well apparently enough business owners have felt this way, or they wouldn't be hightailing it out of this country en masse.

Corporate Inversion
No--US companies with foreign branches are hiring offshore because they have no incentive to hire here. They keep their us base because, although we have some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, we gave them loopholes that let them pay NOTHING, plus we give some of them huge subsidies. They get all the freebies, and they still have the option of hiring in another country where they can pay dirt for salaries and get around environmental regs. If they want to hire overseas, they can--that's their option, but we don't need to give them a free ride on taxes (how about a rate compared to what the rest of the world pays?) PLUS subsidize them because they pad the pockets of certain politicians with campaign contributions.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Stating the obvious, eh?

If someone mentions that they could hire more workers but they're going to wait until such-and such a point, that means that they either have increased demand or are anticipating increased demand. How could a real business owner base such a decision on who's in the White House? Answer: YOU CAN'T!! If you have increased demand that needs more employees to service customers, you hire those employees, or lose customers. It's that simple. If you can't service those customers, your competitors will.

But no matter how good demand is, you're not going to hire until there is a president that you like in the White House? Tell me a ultra successful businessman who has ever used that tactic? Obama could be there for another 6 years....c'mon! Who are you guys trying to fool?
I know several large and small successful business owners waiting for this idiot to leave office. I am hopeful that will happen very soon.

The policies of this disasterous administration is greatly effecting business owners across the board. Only recently has Obummer started waxing poetic about small business owners and supporting business.

It is not as easy as supply and demand as I touched on with you in my previous reply. Why don't you open your own business, sustain that business for at least 10 years (heck, I'll even give YOU 5 years), then come back here and try to comment in an educated way!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I think a certain poster on here is a legend in his own mind.
Nope. I'm actually quite humble. I'm a working stiff...no more and no less. I'm the opposite of these C-D millionaires around here. A dude that schleps a brownbag to work so i can pay my debts. In other words, i owe my soul to the company store just like everyone else.

The legends in their own minds are the people around here who are so successful that they can afford to not expand their businesses until a president who is going to be the president for an undetermined amount of time, leaves the White House for good. I'm no genius (as i'm sure you know) but i've never heard of such a business practice.

That's all i'm saying. If calling that out is considered an attempt at being a "legend," then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies