Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,201,005 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for those who believe teachers would put their integrity on the line
simply because they belong to a union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,892 times
I feel sorry for the KIDS that have to suffer as a result of Teacher's Unions!!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Me too!!

The teachers in the Unions certainly do not suffer.....spa treatments, cosmetic procedures. Pathetic.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,201,005 times
Quote:
Quite a broad statement, any specifics to back it up?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I feel sorry for those who believe teachers would put their integrity on the line
simply because they belong to a union.
Its NOT about the individual teachers. Its about the UNIONS, which severely restrict what teachers can and can't do. They will often restrict good teachers from going "the extra mile," for fear that might raise the ante on what the school can expect all teachers to do. Unions do this to "protect" their workers, but like all regulations it may start out a good thing and then eventually is carried to the absurd.

A few years ago, my dd had to have a special, non-public school test administered by a teacher. At the time, she was in the public schools and had a lovely teacher who said she was happy to administer the test. However, when she realized that administering the test may have required her to stay 15 minutes beyond her "quit time" at school, she said she was very sorry but was not allowed to work beyond that time (union regulations.) We ended up working out an alternate solution, but its an example of the restrictions unions put on good people.

My brother, who used to work in a unionized factory quit because he couldn't stand the "slow downs" placed on him from union pressure. He was a very ethical, hard working guy and liked working hard to earn his pay. But, that is not the union way.

The OP story about the "miraculous" turn around of a school from failure to success exemplefies what good teachers can do without the union chains. The fact that this "detail" was left out of Obama's SOTU address was unfortunately no accident. The financial and voting power of the powerful unions is monstrous.

I don't know what can be done about dismantling them, especially in our schools, but anyone who could accomplish this would certainly gain respect in many voters' eyes.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Quite a broad statement, any specifics to back it up?

I will bite:

The Daily Collegian

Teachers Union Facts

Pajamas Media » Teachers’ Unions Exposed in The Cartel

The Truth About "Schooling": Teacher's Unions Exposed

Independent Women's Forum - Teachers Unions Exposed

Pretty much all unions do is destroy. Thankfully they are being exposed and their power is being dismantled on a regular basis. I say BUH, BYE to unions!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Its NOT about the individual teachers. Its about the UNIONS, which severely restrict what teachers can and can't do. They will often restrict good teachers from going "the extra mile," for fear that might raise the ante on what the school can expect all teachers to do. Unions do this to "protect" their workers, but like all regulations it may start out a good thing and then eventually is carried to the absurd.

A few years ago, my dd had to have a special, non-public school test administered by a teacher. At the time, she was in the public schools and had a lovely teacher who said she was happy to administer the test. However, when she realized that administering the test may have required her to stay 15 minutes beyond her "quit time" at school, she said she was very sorry but was not allowed to work beyond that time (union regulations.) We ended up working out an alternate solution, but its an example of the restrictions unions put on good people.

My brother, who used to work in a unionized factory quit because he couldn't stand the "slow downs" placed on him from union pressure. He was a very ethical, hard working guy and liked working hard to earn his pay. But, that is not the union way.

The OP story about the "miraculous" turn around of a school from failure to success exemplefies what good teachers can do without the union chains. The fact that this "detail" was left out of Obama's SOTU address was unfortunately no accident. The financial and voting power of the powerful unions is monstrous.

I don't know what can be done about dismantling them, especially in our schools, but anyone who could accomplish this would certainly gain respect in many voters' eyes.

You entire post was very well said!!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
You forgot about district rules as well.

So no unions and no district rules; the school was free to set their own rules.
And it looks like their rules focused on qualified teachers and teaching academics.
And it paid off with increased graduation rates.

What is wrong with that ? This should be all over the MSM and Dept of Education lauding what some "getting back to basics" can do for education.

Rather than MORE rules, get back to basics with fewer rules.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:
In spite of the woeful state of education in many areas of the country, there are still reasons to be encouraged. President Obama outlined one such example in his State of the Union speech:Wow, that’s an impressive turnaround. How did they go from bad to great? Well, that part of the story ended up on the cutting room floor during the SOTU editing process, for obvious reasons:When the devil is in the details, simply ignore the details.
Politics IS the art of deception and he is pretty good at it.... So far... Time will tell.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Let see, the President said he wanted schools to work on solutions that worked and that maybe some of those changes could be applied to other schools to improve them also. I found this to be a great idea, now someone from the right descides he really did not mean it because he did not mention every detail of how one example got there, yeah right. If he were a Repub some of you would be singing praises for the idea, but just isn't in ya is it.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies