Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times

Advertisements

I read Michael Savage's book, and in it, it says that liberals want to "take away masculinity," by treating ADHD. Glenn Beck has also said something along those lines in his books. So why do these conservative hosts say this? I've never heard liberals say they want to medicate more ADHD children, at least not as much as I here some conservatives say they don't want it yo be treated. I'm conservative and I know ADHD people that are definitely much better off with medication than without it. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Parental rights.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
I don't think it is so much oposition to treating ADHD as it is oposing the medications used to "treat" it.
There is also evidence of a link between ritalin use and drug dependency later in life, especially cocaine. That is enough to give anyone pause.

In one study which looked at adult cocaine users, it was found that those individuals who used Ritalin between one and ten years of age had a percentage of cocaine abuse twice that of those who had been diagnoses with ADHD but had not utilized Ritalin
http://www.addictionsearch.com/treat...atment_43.html

Last edited by Booya; 02-06-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 04:50 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
You do realize that every kid that gets a bad grade has parents who claim that ADD or ADHD is the cause?

Add to that the tendency of teachers, especially those in Elementary, to hang ADHD on any kid, mostly boys, who fidgets and you have a situation in some schools where 2/3 of the kids are on some form of behavior med. Two-thirds, think what that number means.

The diagnosis makes a kid ineligible for some jobs and the military.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't think it is so much oposition to treating ADHD as it is oposing the medications used to "treat" it.
There is also evidence of a link between ritalin use and drug dependency later in life, especially cocaine. That is enough to give anyone pause.

In one study which looked at adult cocaine users, it was found that those inpiduals who used Ritalin between one and ten years of age had a percentage of cocaine abuse twice that of those who had been diagnoses with ADHD but had not utilized Ritalin
Information and research on Ritalin abuse, addiction, withdrawal, detox, rehabilitation and treatment.
I hadn't heard that before. I wish they would have explained it better instead of just saying it's bad to treat ADHD.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I hadn't heard that before. I wish they would have explained it better instead of just saying it's bad to treat ADHD.
Well let me tell you I have seen it. I have a good friend who had a "figidty" hyperactive little guy. She, at the recommendation of her MD put him on a low dose of ritalin.
She was torn up about it and unsure if it was the right thing.

Well, I am not trying to be an alarmist but this is true. He is a drug addict now-he is in his late 20s and his most recent drug arrest was last October. His drug of choice is cocaine.
Of course no one knows if this would have happened if he hadn't been on this medication but it does speak to drug dependency. We lived in an upper class neighborhood and her other son who didn't go on ritalin is doing well. He is the only friend I have who's child was on ritalin. Coincidence? Who knows. But I would be careful.

I'm not saying it always happens but I have seen it first hand.

Last edited by Booya; 02-06-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I read Michael Savage's book, and in it, it says that liberals want to "take away masculinity," by treating ADHD. Glenn Beck has also said something along those lines in his books. So why do these conservative hosts say this? I've never heard liberals say they want to medicate more ADHD children, at least not as much as I here some conservatives say they don't want it yo be treated. I'm conservative and I know ADHD people that are definitely much better off with medication than without it. What do you think?
Probably because the drug treatment is more dangerous and threatening to one's health than the ADHD is.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
I personally feel that, in a graduating manner, parents (society) have neglected to properly disipline children. Instead, we reinforce bad behavoir by pacifying crybabies. Most medications prescibed to children are to mask the symptoms and not treat the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7cO01SpzI

Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Parental rights.
What about 'em?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I personally feel that, in a graduating manner, parents (society) have neglected to properly disipline children.
This I wonder about. I have a good friend who has 3 boys. Big lag in age between #1 and #2, and there's only 18 months difference between #2 and #3.

She had 7 years to raise #1 before #2 came along. He's a well behaved, polite child.

She's convinced that her two younger boys are ADHD and so are the boys' teachers.

Discipline does not exist in her house since she had the second. People see her coming a mile away with the younger two and run in the opposite direction.

If I LET my 3 boys act like animals, they too would probably be considered ADD/ADHD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies