Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
As you probably know there is a split among conservatives on the Egypt situation, Neo-Cons want Mubarak out ASAP. Traditional conservatives do not want him replaced with an Islamic government such as the Muslim Brotherhood. I consider myself in the second group as I strongly oppose Sharia states.

What I find most interesting is that many of the same liberals who have been tossing around the term "neo-conservative" for years now (having no idea what it actually means) are actually neoconservatives themsevles...with their excitement of regime change and giving Democracy to the Egyptian people...this is 100% neo-con thinking all the way.
For one, you are 100% wrong.

Neoconservatives are who support the continued United States intervention and support of oppressive dictatorial leaders because they benefit US interests.

Traditional Conservatives are opposed to nation building and US foreign intervention and military action in favor of economic trade relations and diplomacy.

I suggest for one you begin by actually learning what the heck the difference in foreign policy positions of these two factions of 'Consevatism' are before making a post that is so far off base and not to even be born in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Next we will hear how Ron Paul supports nation building and Neoconservatism... because he is a (laughing hysterically) a neocon. Someone help me off the floor, sides are busting...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For one, you are 100% wrong.

Neoconservatives are who support the continued United States intervention and support of oppressive dictatorial leaders because they benefit US interests.

Traditional Conservatives are opposed to nation building and US foreign intervention and military action in favor of economic trade relations and diplomacy.

I suggest for one you begin by actually learning what the heck the difference in foreign policy positions of these two factions of 'Consevatism' are before making a post that is so far off base and not to even be born in reality.
Once again, Tn takes ownership of the thread with his well-thought response.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
As you probably know there is a split among conservatives on the Egypt situation, Neo-Cons want Mubarak out ASAP. Traditional conservatives do not want him replaced with an Islamic government such as the Muslim Brotherhood. I consider myself in the second group as I strongly oppose Sharia states.

What I find most interesting is that many of the same liberals who have been tossing around the term "neo-conservative" for years now (having no idea what it actually means) are actually neoconservatives themsevles...with their excitement of regime change and giving Democracy to the Egyptian people...this is 100% neo-con thinking all the way.
You've got to be joking. Neocon thinking is for US government resources/involvment to effect regime change for the "good" in other Nations.

No liberals are calling for that. Are they happy that it's taking place? Sure? Do they want our government to voice it's support for free and fair elections....sure.

Nobody is calling for funding of opposition parties, no military involvement.

And what other Neocons besides Bill Kristol is happy with Mubarek leaving?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
I would protect Mubarak until the end of his term and then work with the Egyptian military to make sure the next government is as secular as possible.
That is what we did in Iran, we backed their dictator to te end, and by then had lost any ability to wheel and deal, how did that work out for us? Since we hold ourselves up as a nation that believes in the right of the people to determine their own future then we should keep out of the internal struggles of other nations and allow them to pick their own path. To do otherwise means we are not that we profess to be but only want self determination among others when it fits our needs or agenda, this was also a tactic used is the past by the USSR ad China and has been one of ours for far too long.
Casper

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:

What is a neo-conservative?
Is that the cartoon character from Disney, a movie?

Conservatives (who actually often think things through and read a lot before posting) believe that you want Mubarak in his office through his term because only the Muslim Brotherhood is organized to take over if there were an election today. That means Hamas, Al Quaeda and so forth are in position to take over now.
There needs to be time so other groups more open to real free elections and non-theologic leaders can prevail.
Should a Hamas type of government take over Egypt I think you would see a consolidation of terrorist in that region of the Middle East meaning either WW3 or dropped nukes possible in that area. Scary if this doesn't turn out right.
The President Barry and Hillary are clueless, so don't let that cause you sleepless nights.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That is what we did in Iran, we backed their dictator to te end, and by then had lost any ability to wheel and deal, how did that work out for us? Since we hold ourselves up as a nation that believes in the right of the people to determine their own future then we should keep out of the internal struggles of other nations and allow them to pick their own path. To do otherwise means we are not that we profess to be but only want self determination among others when it fits our needs or agenda, this was also a tactic used is the past by the USSR ad China and has been one of ours for far too long.
Casper
We did NOT back the Shau to the end, Jimmy helped the clergy into Iran which turned it into today's terrorist state

Don't forget history or we will repeat it in Egypt.
American Thinker: Jimmy Carter's Human Rights Disaster in Iran

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Conservatives (who actually often think things through and read a lot before posting) believe that you want Mubarak in his office through his term because only the Muslim Brotherhood is organized to take over if there were an election today. That means Hamas, Al Quaeda and so forth are in position to take over now.
Since you obviously do not know and think it may be a cartoon character, I suggest you read for yourself instead of asking the one person in this thread who clearly doesn't have a clue as to what a Neocosnervative is.

You can start with this basic primer and work your way into something more in-depth by following some of the provided links to various sources on the page.

Neoconservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see from the main page, there are a variety of Conservative positions and philosophies that in many cases are 'generally' along the same line of thought but in other cases are quite divergent from others.

Conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are truly serious, I would even suggesting looking up Liberalism because you will also find a similar example that not all views of Liberalism are the same.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Cute. I prefer the term RINO neo-con-munist, since they borrowed the methodology of nation building and spreading their utopian form of government from the Soviets.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Since you obviously do not know and think it may be a cartoon character, I suggest you read for yourself instead of asking the one person in this thread who clearly doesn't have a clue as to what a Neocosnervative is.

You can start with this basic primer and work your way into something more in-depth by following some of the provided links to various sources on the page.

Neoconservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see from the main page, there are a variety of Conservative positions and philosophies that in many cases are 'generally' along the same line of thought but in other cases are quite divergent from others.

Conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are truly serious, I would even suggesting looking up Liberalism because you will also find a similar example that not all views of Liberalism are the same.
Seems different here:
Neoconservatism - Conservapedia

Easier to just say conservative or liberal IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies