Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

One more thing--my family eats about as healthy as it gets, is very sports focused, and we're all fit. Guess what we had at our superbowl party for teens yesterday? Nachos, chili, a baked potato bar, little smokies, chips, etc. Party food is party food--the problem is when people eat PARTY food for regular meals. Someone else said this in another thread and I thought it was spot on--eating healthy doesn't mean you can't have a birthday cake--it just means that you don't make it your daily menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
I completely agree with her, we do need smaller portions in this country. Look, if the vast majority of this country was healthy, I would agree that the govt has no business giving an opinion on portion control. However, when more than 1/3 of this country is obese somebody better start telling all those fatties that they need to start eating less otherwise they are gonna kill themselves.

And if we dont learn to control our eating habits, then yes, the govt is going to start putting restrictions on foods, just like they do with cigarettes now.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not enough to police the kids at school, now Food Sheriff Michelle Obama wants restaurants to give everyone smaller portions at their establishments.

"A team of advisers to Mrs. Obama has been holding private talks over the past year with the National Restaurant Association, a trade group, in a bid to get restaurants to adopt her goals of smaller portions and children’s meals that include healthy offerings like carrots, apple slices and milk instead of French fries and soda, according to White House and industry officials."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/us...e.html?_r=1&hp

Meanwhile, no carrot sticks and celery at the White House yesterday:

"...the menu for the 100 or so guests at the White House bash is tailgate-friendly even if served inside the Executive Mansion:bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers, deep-dish pizza and Buffalo wings with sides of German potato salad, twice-baked potatoes and assorted chips and dips."
Beer from Super Bowl states heads up Obama's party - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110206/ap_on_sp_ot/us_obama_super_bowl_menu - broken link)

I'm telling you, we aren't far away from drug dealers chucking the drugs and selling banned food and soft drinks on the street corners and restaurants having to give up buffets while Nucky Thompson keeps the food flowing in the White House.
We've already seen one thread about this Super Bowl menu closed because it got so nasty. (At least that's my opinion from reading it. No reason was given.)

Anyway, how do any of you know that "assorted chips and dips" didn't include veggies and low-fat dips? Since when would a nutritionist think a cheeseburger is a "bad" food? Even a brat or kielbassa (popular in Green Bay and Pgh respectively) ONCE A FREAKING YEAR, is OK.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
My problem with this is economical. They will lower their portion size, however the price will not reflect that. It will still be expensive. I go out to eat rarely. When I do, I want what I Pay for.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
People aren't eating healthy portions. It seems they can't control themselves.
So the government will step in and advise restaurants to not serve such big helpings because these people can't do it themselves.

Isn't that what government is for..helping the people and telling them how much they can eat when they go out ? Isn't that what you want your tax dollars be used for..helping the people live right ?
Social justice has no price..as we can see from wild spending in Congress.

Gee..I hope they don't regulate buffet type places.

Actually the government should put scales outside of restaurants and make everyone "weigh in"..if you're overweight turn them away.
It's for their own good.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Have you visited an all you can eat buffet lately? Half the people there need a cart to haul around their backsides. We are a FAT country. It's not my business that someone over eats, but I'd like to have healthy choices when we go out to eat at at least some restaurants, especially the ones that market heavily to kids.

Is anyone MANDATING that restaurants serve smaller portions? Are they MANDATING that restaurants serve carrot sticks and apple slices on kids menus? Come off it. I have 5 kids who are all athletes and very health conscious. I really like having the OPTION of being able to make healthy choices off of a restaurant menu, and the truth is, it's probably good for their business--lots of parents have become more focused on nutrition and healthy eating, and it's becoming a huge focus of sports training with student athletes.
Don't be naive. When the federal government makes a "suggestion" it doesn't take a genius to read between the lines. The federal government has so much power over business that "suggestions" turn out to be offers they can't refuse. If restaurants make decisions about their menu based on what customers are demanding I'm fine with that. That's the free market at work. But when they do so at the instigation of government that's tyranny.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People aren't eating healthy portions. It seems they can't control themselves.
So the government will step in and advise restaurants to not serve such big helpings because these people can't do it themselves.

Isn't that what government is for..helping the people and telling them how much they can eat when they go out ? Isn't that what you want your tax dollars be used for..helping the people live right ?
Social justice has no price..as we can see from wild spending in Congress.

Gee..I hope they don't regulate buffet type places.
I'm not sure how Michelle Obama (not an elected official) talking to the restaurant association about the need to offer healthy options and smaller portions has suddenly turned into REGULATION. The truth is, if more people demand healthier food (and they are) then restaurants are going to do what's good for their businesses. She's trying to start a national dialog about obesity in this country--we ARE FAT--and that should be about as noncontroversial as it gets. Just go to a beach or public pool some time. Half the kids have so much fat that they'd never even need a life jacket, if they could get one over their stomachs.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Don't be naive. When the federal government makes a "suggestion" it doesn't take a genius to read between the lines. The federal government has so much power over business that "suggestions" turn out to be offers they can't refuse. If restaurants make decisions about their menu based on what customers are demanding I'm fine with that. That's the free market at work. But when they do so at the instigation of government that's tyranny.
The restaurants will be falling over themselves to do this.
Smaller portions and I'll wage the prices WILL NOT CHANGE one cent.

The "big gulp" will turn into "tiny sip"

Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Exactly. Until Mooshell drops 50 or 60 pounds, who can take her serious on the subject of healthy eating? Judging by her weight, she obviously knows very little about healthy eating.
So you think that women should weight 60 or 70 lbs?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
You guys that think the government should tell you what to eat, how much to eat and use the first lady to lean on restaurants to force behavior modification, just because she lives in the White House, are scaring me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies