Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

God knows that she has enough money, and frankly, she's still sore that when the Dems captured the majority in '06, she didn't get the majority leaders job. And yea, she's pro-Israel like a hog is pro-slop, but she's Jewish...you should expect that.

She was always too damn hawkish militarily for my tastes, but at the end of the day, i don't care. I only worry about the Arizona delegation....half of which are pretty pathetic.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post

What are the CA requirements, will they have to have a special election to replace her or will her position be filled by appointment?
Special election.

There are a lot of names being tossed around right now.

Marcy will definitely run again. Janice Hahn is a distinct possibility. Ted Lieu, who is currently running for State Senate to fill the vacancy left by Jenny Oropeza who passed away recently, Bill Rosendahl, even possibly Betsy Bulter, who was just elected to the CA Assembly in this District. I'm sure there will be a lot of people putting their hat in the ring.

And we're about to have new districts drawn. What a sucky time to up and quit.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Special election.

There are a lot of names being tossed around right now.

Marcy will definitely run again. Janice Hahn is a distinct possibility. Ted Lieu, who is currently running for State Senate to fill the vacancy left by Jenny Oropeza who passed away recently, Bill Rosendahl, even possibly Betsy Bulter, who was just elected to the CA Assembly in this District. I'm sure there will be a lot of people putting their hat in the ring.

And we're about to have new districts drawn. What a sucky time to up and quit.
Your hometown is part of her district?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

God knows that she has enough money, and frankly, she's still sore that when the Dems captured the majority in '06, she didn't get the majority leaders job.
It was the Chairwoman of the House Intelligence Committee job that she wanted, which Speaker Pelosi kept her from.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It was the Chairwoman of the House Intelligence Committee job that she wanted, which Speaker Pelosi kept her from.
Thanks for straightening me out. I don't know why i thought it was Hoyer's job that she wanted....i must've heard that someone.

From what i hear (and you know how rumors are), she and Pelosi can't stand to be in the same room together. Have you ever heard anything to that effect? And what is the acrimony between them all about?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Your hometown is part of her district?
My hometown is St. Louis. Where I currently live is in her district. I'm a Delegate to the CA State Democratic Party and I was forced (by my then-employer, who needed to trade favors) to give her my Delegate vote at the Primary Convention. I raised holy hell with him over him promising my vote without discussing it with me, but in the end, my hands were tied. I didn't support her, however (no yard signs, no volunteering, no contributions, etc.). But now that she won the election, b***h needs to keep her commitment to her constituents.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Yep, she can fairly be called a quitter, since she is a quitter. And just like another famous quitter, she's doing it for her own personal gain. I've always considered Jane Harman to be an opportunist, and it's no more flattering on a Democrat than it is on a Republican.

This is going to make a huge mess here in this district. Ugh.
I agree 100%, she shoud not have run for re-election if she was considering leaving her job before she fulfilled her duties.
Casper

Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:

From what i hear (and you know how rumors are), she and Pelosi can't stand to be in the same room together. Have you ever heard anything to that effect? And what is the acrimony between them all about?
I can't say from Pelosi's side, but I know Jane held a grudge over being kept from that chairmanship. I have no idea if the acrimony started before that or not.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Longtime Rep. Jane Harman Likely to Quit Congress - FoxNews.com
"Longtime Rep. Jane Harman of California is making calls to members of the Democratic House leadership to notify them of her desire to leave Congress to lead the Woodrow Wilson International Center, Fox News has learned.

. . .

"It's not that she wants to leave Congress. It’s more about seeing the Woodrow Wilson Center as the preeminent place for seeking bipartisan solutions. It's a classy, well-funded operation. She just sees [it] as a great challenge and a great opportunity. She kept getting more and more excited about it," the source told Politico."
She is my Representative in Congress, and although I have not always been entirely happy with that representation, her quitting now, after we just re-elected her 3 months ago, really ticks me off. I think it's inexcusable.

NOTE: This thread is about Jane Harman QUITTING Congress. It's not an opportunity to BASH LIBERALS or BASH PRESIDENT OBAMA. I will report every post that isn't on topic and, if necessary, I will ask the moderators to close this thread if we can't stay on topic.
I do not intend to bash anyone, but I don't think it is your place to to decide who says what. Now, go ahead and report me if you want.

Nita

Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
She is a...wait for it....wait for it.... QUITTER!
Not only is she a quitter, she was a carpet bagger from back east. Rented an apartment in Marina del Rey just before the deadline.

Her husband is the Harman in Harman Cardon electronics and is one of the wealthiest members of Congress.

I lived in Playa del Rey at the time. She was semi-moderate and worked on some defense committees. Not the worst Democrat in the world. Now B1 Bob Dornan can come back and take his old district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies