Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,740,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I will give you Collins & Snowe and perhaps Brown, but Graham, Hatch and Lugar? None of them would really qualify as moderates, the GOP has just moved so far to the right, that they appear to be moderates compared to the rest of the party

From the persepective of the left any one to the right of Obama is far right fringe. The fact that the left can't even identify moderates is the reason the DLC is going down the tubes and the Blue Dog Democrat is and endangered species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

256 posts, read 216,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I don't know how any sane person can vote for a Democrat. I imagine most of the voters are people who look for a handout, use drugs, are criminal or are engaged in some devient lifestyle.

Little by little as liberals have gained more ground, America and society has lost ground. I hope the Dems become extinct.
I imagine that you are extremely insular. Why not try to get to know some people that have differing views from yourself?

Most of the Democrats that I know would not fit your description. And that's saying quite a bit as I've worked with felons, gang members and sex offenders.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

22,173 posts, read 19,441,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Certainly their is diversity of opinion in the Republican party. The difference is we don't purge those who fail to follow othodoxy. See the list of Moderate Republicans above.

Also as I pointed out Republicans and Tea Partiers are really 2 different parties. Boehner represents Republicans and Bachmann, Tea Partiers.
The GOP has basically been purged of moderates. Lugar and Hatch who aren't exactly moderates are being targeted for Primary challenges in 2012.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Quote:
Oh, my goodness, there are many. In the Senate alone there is Scott Brown, Olympia Snow, Susan Collins, Lindsy Graham, Orin Hatch, Richard Lugar. And those are the ones off the top of my head, I am certain I am missing some.
Lindsey Graham? Orrin Hatch? Are you counting every Republican who ever disagreed with Rush Limbaugh on a single vote, or are you just confused?

Since you misspelled at least three out of six Senators' names, perhaps I ought to go with "confused."

Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,504,689 times
Quote:
How many moderate Republicans are left?
About 99% of republicans in D.C. are moderate.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
From the persepective of the left any one to the right of Obama is far right fringe. The fact that the left can't even identify moderates is the reason the DLC is going down the tubes and the Blue Dog Democrat is and endangered species.
Graham and Hatch have lifetime ratings from the ACU of 89. Its quite hard to be a moderate and have an 89 lifetime ranking from the ACU......

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,740,570 times
Quote:
The GOP has basically been purged of moderates. Lugar and Hatch who aren't exactly moderates are being targeted for Primary challenges in 2012.

Again Dems don't even know what a moderate is so it is hardly surprising they can't identify one. Who is targeting Hatch and Lugar? That's right the Tea Party, which is as I have said...............a different party!

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Quote:
And to the right, anyone to the left of Ayn Rand is a liberal and anyone to the left of John McCain is a communist.

Name-calling is a very pluralistic art. All sides can participate.

7,835 posts, read 8,433,563 times
There's no such thing (in the U.S.) as the Democrat Party.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Again Dems don't even know what a moderate is so it is hardly surprising they can't identify one. Who is targeting Hatch and Lugar? That's right the Tea Party, which is as I have said...............a different party!

The Tea Party isn't a different Party its an off shoot of the Republican Party. If it wasn't, he couldn't get a Primary challenge from another Party in a Republican Primary, now could he??

Aside from that the first challenger to Lugar is a Republican elected official (State Treasurer Richard Mourdock)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies