Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post

What principal, let's say? The principal that they have principals and don't want to get drug tested b/c they'll end up positive?
I don't know. Do you think principals do drugs?
Quote:

What state of denial do you live in where you assume that people don't PLAY the system? You have never heard of those who work long enough to be qualified for UI and then have a friend hit them in the leg with a baseball bat so they can collect? And BUY DRUGS while still living in government sponsored housing (tax payers monies) until not only their UI expires, but so does their disability? And then the cycle begins all over again?
What bizarro world do you live in where you know people who go around thwacking people in the legs so they can collect unemployment for drug money? You must hang out with some really strange people.
Quote:

Must be nice to not acknowledge a huge part of the PROBLEM.
Would you like to show me where I didn't acknowledge "a huge part of the PROBLEM"?
Quote:

Maybe you should define who, exactly, you are defending because apparently it is NOT the folks who SYSTEMATICALLY PLAY the system and NEED the drug tests. The ones who are the same people who will end up where they are and always have been over and over again and generationally.....still collecting one way or another, just not UI at the company's/SBO's expense too.
Maybe you should point out in my post where I defended anyone.
Quote:

Take off your rose colored glasses.
Take off your anger meter and get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
A bill that ties drug testing to unemployment benefits is scheduled to go before an Indiana House committee Tuesday.

The legislation would require anyone trying to claim unemployments benefits to be tested for drugs first.

Those benefits would be denied if the person tests positive or refuses to be tested.

Lawmakers with the Labor Committee will hold a hearing on the bill Tuesday morning.

Thoughts ?
Just drugs? What about liquor? What about prescription drugs more commonly abused? Where would this all end?

I think it's irrelevant and a huge waste of taxpayer $$ at the worst possible time. It's not as if they didn't pay for those unemployment benefits, or have an unlimited time period from which to draw from. If we're going to monitor what the unemployment check is spent on why just limit it to potential drugs or liquor. No smores, no vegas trips, make a long long list. This thinking can get out of hand in a hurry.

The attitude it's freebie welfare is all in their heads. Spendthrift pandering to ignorance is all it's doing. Who authored this bill? Someones cousin wanting a gov't contract to test for all these alleged drugs?

As an outsider without a vote on this matter... Indiana has a HUGE problem with meth and pot heads? Is that what they're saying about themselves? Pandemic enough to justify a dragnet you say?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
A DEMOCRAT put up this amendment to the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"An unemployed Indiana worker offered a new job who fails a company drug test would lose his or her unemployment benefits under a change made Monday to Senate Bill 86.State Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Ogden Dunes, sponsored the amendment."

Failed drug test may lead to unemployment benefits loss

OPPS! You have pie in your face.
Losing a job failing a drug test is a completely different scenario than the OP. Get real.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Should we be drug testing the unemployed or those in congress? LOL

Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
I am an RN with an advanced degree. I can tell you that, altho now in common use for pre-employment screening, false positives AND false negatives are all too common. Cost depends upon the specific test and the company providing the testing service- anywhere from $2.00 per sample to $300 per sample.

Do you think the Walmart special $2 test or the much more sensitive $300 test would be used?
$300 That's just the medical cost. Then there's administrative. Doing otherwise risks the county being sued for every false positive. How much would each lawsuit & subsequent hardships from false accusations cost? Libertarians are wise on this subject and people need to listen up. Don't have to switch parties to listen to an alternative solution.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I think there should be a cop there to pistol whip them if they fail. Also, instant search warrant for their car, home, pocketbook, wallet, body cavity searrch as well. Put them in jail untll they come clean about their illicit drug use.

After all, it's just a smoke screen for greater govermental intrusion into your life.

Wait, skip the pistol whipping,strip them nude and herd them into cattle cars with a cattle prod. Might as well know where you stand.

Goverment didn't test you before you put it in. Suddenly, they have to test you to take it out.... ... ...

Heh.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-08-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Who is going to pay for this?

Really,

Who is going to pay for this.
Just add $$$$$ to state and federal deficits for what?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'll bet that those who advocate drug tests are the same ones who say they want government out of personal lives. That's how full of it they are.
I agree with you, how very ironic this is! It is just like a conservative to think that the unemployed and under-employed could be abusing drugs. I think for every one example used to show how a junkie on food stamps or unemployment is abusing the system, there are thousands that abide by the law. Yes, many jobs do require a drug test, frequently for insurance and liability issues.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
As for drug tests to obtain a job, most employers require them. Every job I've had since the mid-80s required a drug test. Not a problem for me as I don't do drugs. People who refuse testing subject themselves to hardships in finding work. Employers will simply discard their applications.
I've NEVER been asked to take a drug test, and I've been working on & off for about 20 years. Maybe it's just not a California thing, LOL. Speaking of California, they're finally working on a bill that would include medical marijuana as an approved prescription (for the purpose of drug tests)... about time!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
So what's the person supposed to live on then??
I think this is one of the main concerns, which many of you seem to be ignoring... if somebody loses their job through no fault of their own (the only way to qualify for UI), and is immediately denied benefits due to this test, what then?? Welfare, homelessness, crime, debt??? Yeah, that's really going to help our economy.

It's not like finding a job is easy these days, so in the meantime I'm wondering what they expect these people to do. Plus, as it's already been mentioned, unemployment is not a "government dole" - in many states (like my own) the employer & employee pay into the UI, it is only temporary, and always based on one's previous earnings. This proposal is a bunch of BS, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies