Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Creationism is not a theory. It's a faith based belief.
A belief based on stories written only a couple of thousand years ago. Some of them are truly far fetched, while others seem more logical.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It does not.

Evolution of some sort occurs in every single generation. You personally possess around 100 unique mutations that neither of your own parents possessed.
That is ADAPTATION to your environment! You really don't understand evolution do you? You can admit it, you really don't! Evolution is when one species EVOLVES into another species, creating a whole seperate branch on the tree.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That is ADAPTATION to your environment! You really don't understand evolution do you? You can admit it, you really don't! Evolution is when one species EVOLVES into another species, creating a whole seperate branch on the tree.
No, that's speciation.

Sheesh.

Just stop.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
That is NOT evolution! evolution is when one species evolves into another. Breeding is NOT evolution, that is simply targeting traits and enhancing them.
You are confusing evolution with speciation, and demonstrating that you actually do not understand either.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
What do you think macro-evolution entails? How is it different from micro-evolution? I am assuming you've heard of those terms, and are at least aware of their differences.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
That is ADAPTATION to your environment!
Not even close.

That is mutation... i.e. an increase in genetic variation.

Adaptation occurs afterward.

Together, it is evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD
Evolution is when one species EVOLVES into another species, creating a whole seperate branch on the tree.
Wrong.

That is speciation. Evolution is what causes it.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Again, mutation is NOT evolution it is ADAPTATION! So are you going to say that our immune systems build a restistance to a new virus or bacteria that we just evolved? LMAO!
SourD, considering that earlier today you challenged me to name one country that separates Switzerland from Sweden, I'm not going to take your pronouncements on biology all that seriously. Is that ok with you?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Maybe Darwin can convince you guys that even he had doubts!!

From the Origin of Species, CHAPTER VI - DIFFICULTIES OF THE THEORY
"Organs of extreme Perfection and Complication. To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science.

Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms, in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility.

He admits that the theory is very flawed.....But then he turns around and doubles down on his flawed theory. "Yeah...I know it's stupid. but I'm stickin' to it"! LOL Way to go Charles!! And you people say Christians believe in fairy tales??? He begins by making a large concession, but then adds that once we understand his way of viewing things the objections will diminish or disappear. Repeatedly, he seems to put the theory at risk through these seemingly damaging admissions, but then rescues it.

If the founder of this theory is wishy washy about it, why are any of you so dogmatic????

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
We don't argue about evolution, everyone here regards it as fact. Oh right this thread is about americans, i get it now.... ;-)

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
SourD, considering that earlier today you challenged me to name one country that separates Switzerland from Sweden, I'm not going to take your pronouncements on biology all that seriously. Is that ok with you?
<falls on floor laughing>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies