Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times

Advertisements

Religion has a good story to go along with it's theories/fact. The old.....It's settled science-fact proclamation without someone rolling out a Dat or a Cog that just so happened next door is like Geraldo telling us that Capone's money really was in there, no really.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
If you want him to be embarassed, maybe you should illustrate exactly why, that way I can be embarassed as well. Two iggerant fools embarrased is always better than just one. Hit it out of the ballpark Einstein, I deserve it.
I did.

For the 1000th time with a Creationist.

Showing them the facts does no good, because as Carl Sagan said:

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe."

This argument is more about the aberrant psychology of Creationists than it is about science.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So you said it, nobody actually witnessed it. That was the point. Try and stay on topic.
You can't see gravity either.

Better strap yourself down.

Can't see radio waves - it must be ghosts!

Your entire argument here is one giant ball of logical fallacy. Argumentam ad ignorantum, specifically.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I really am, after all these years of reading Creationist stuff on the Internet, still shocked at how little you know about actual evolutionary biology.

That you think evolution has never been witnessed is enough to make me laugh coffee through my nose.

A snippet:

""Evolution has never been observed."

Biologists define evolution as a change in the gene pool of a population over time. One example is insects developing a resistance to pesticides over the period of a few years. Even most Creationists recognize that evolution at this level is a fact. What they don't appreciate is that this rate of evolution is all that is required to produce the diversity of all living things from a common ancestor.

This is NOT evolution, it is ADAPTATION

The origin of new species by evolution has also been observed, both in the laboratory and in the wild. See, for example, (Weinberg, J.R., V.R. Starczak, and D. Jorg, 1992, "Evidence for rapid speciation following a founder event in the laboratory." Evolution 46: 1214-1220). The "Observed Instances of Speciation" FAQ in the talk.origins archives gives several additional examples.

This is BS, nobody caused evolution in the lab.

Even without these direct observations, it would be wrong to say that evolution hasn't been observed. Evidence isn't limited to seeing something happen before your eyes. Evolution makes predictions about what we would expect to see in the fossil record, comparative anatomy, genetic sequences, geographical distribution of species, etc., and these predictions have been verified many times over. The number of observations supporting evolution is overwhelming.

When you WITNESS something you HAVE to SEE it with your own eyes! This is like digging up a grave and you say you witnessed the death.

What hasn't been observed is one animal abruptly changing into a radically different one, such as a frog changing into a cow. This is not a problem for evolution because evolution doesn't propose occurrences even remotely like that. In fact, if we ever observed a frog turn into a cow, it would be very strong evidence against evolution."

No human on the planet has actually witnessed evolution. If this were true it would not be called the THEORY of evolution, it would be called the FACT of evolution.

Five Major Misconceptions about Evolution
My answers in red.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You can't see gravity either.

Better strap yourself down.

Can't see radio waves - it must be ghosts!

Your entire argument here is one giant ball of logical fallacy. Argumentam ad ignorantum, specifically.
Oh please... You CAN see radio waves with the right equipment. Gravity is still a theory as well since it is not completely understood.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I did.

For the 1000th time with a Creationist.

Showing them the facts does no good, because as Carl Sagan said:

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe."

This argument is more about the aberrant psychology of Creationists than it is about science.
Here's news for you. I am NOT a creationist. I am just trying to school you guys on your misinformation about evoltuon being witnessed by humans. That is a complete crock of BS!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times
Quote:
My answers in red.
What he said.

If we could A+C=D this, I'd shut up sit down and never bother with an opinion again, that would be a science slam dunk. The FACT is, these religions are peddling the same snake oil because we have gaps in the science. I'd believe that these DNAs and sub nuclear atomic particles weren't geting their orders from the man, if we could just get one of 'em to rat out the lot. Why we bother with mixers and bakers to make bread, when these atoms are destined to just come together and make something much more spectacular of themselves on their own without our help, is silly.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
My answers in red.
Your answers are all wrong.

I have not the patience to engage in yet another tiresome "debate" with someone that doesn't even understand the basics of what they try to crtiticize.

Have fun with Creationist thread #726,456,306.

I'll be in the real world if anyone needs me.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Here's news for you. I am NOT a creationist. I am just trying to school you guys on your misinformation about evoltuon being witnessed by humans. That is a complete crock of BS!
Yes, you are.

At least you were educated by some.

I already provided the proof for you.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
You should be embarrased by supporting the drivel I was responding to. So you also think that humans have actually witnessed evolution? Really? Please tell us what species, when and where this has happened. This ought to be GREAT! as Tony the Tiger would say.
easy. dog breeds.

starting with wolves dogs have become the multiple breeds we know today thru "forced selection" from humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies