Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Iran is at it again, putting to death its own people. Who pray tell, of Iran's own officials is it killing today, why the two guards responsible for torturing three anti-government protesters during the 2009 elections.

I could not help but note the irony in this story in light of Bush's gleeful smirk or Rumsfeld's unrepentant nature regarding the US torture of suspected terrorist. While people like Lynndie England end up in prison, those who ordered such acts in the United States get to go on TV and brag about it. In Iran, they are executed.

After reading some other threads here of late, I couldn't help but notice how many Americans so desire to race to the same level of moral equivalency as Iran and even some who want the United States to emulate terrorist and follow in their footsteps.

Report: Iran executes 2 in torture deaths - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110206/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran - broken link)
Quote:
The torture deaths had sparked an outcry even among influential government supporters. The case drew some of the fiercest criticism against the government over its treatment of protesters in the turmoil following 2009's disputed presidential election
Yet amid this controversy there are calls in the US to continue support of Mubarak's oppressive regime of torturing its citizens because, he is our friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Oh please, Iran did this in light of what is going on in Egypt. Only part of their propaganda to better their Theocracy image.

Meanwhile terrorist that blew up police stations and the Pentagon get to have closed door meetings with Obama in the WH. So I see what you mean that we support terrorists from the highest positions in the land.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please, Iran did this in light of what is going on in Egypt. Only part of their propaganda to better their Theocracy image.
Do you have evidence or proof of this assertion?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Do you have evidence or proof of this assertion?
Did you have proof that is was for noble reasons? Nope, so here we are. Only opinions and as history as shown us, it would be a far fetched scenario that the Iranian Mullahs did this for noble reasons. Those people were protesting over the fixed elections and here you are supporting the cheaters. Either way, those killings were state sponsored to begin with.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Did you have proof that is was for noble reasons?
I never said there was, you did, not me.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Glenn Greenwald wrote a article just this morning that is very similar to your point.

Look how the NY Times has this same double standard.

The Egyptian mirror - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Glenn Greenwald wrote a article just this morning that is very similar to your point.

Look how the NY Times has this same double standard.

The Egyptian mirror - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
I had sent out a letter to several folks, Glenn Greenwald included along with Andrew Bacevich the other day on this very subject.

I enjoyed this excerpt.

Quote:
But so intertwined are the U.S. and Mubarak -- still -- that such narrative separation was impossible. Not even American propaganda could whitewash the fact that the U.S. has imposed Hosni Mubarak's regime on The Egyptian People for decades.
While I would certainly consider Glenn to be Liberal, I noticed he had no problem in pointing out these inconsistencies with the Obama administration as well. I only wish the NY Times and Washington Post had such courage.

Great piece.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Iran is at it again, putting to death its own people. Who pray tell, of Iran's own officials is it killing today, why the two guards responsible for torturing three anti-government protesters during the 2009 elections.

I could not help but note the irony in this story in light of Bush's gleeful smirk or Rumsfeld's unrepentant nature regarding the US torture of suspected terrorist. While people like Lynndie England end up in prison, those who ordered such acts in the United States get to go on TV and brag about it. In Iran, they are executed.

After reading some other threads here of late, I couldn't help but notice how many Americans so desire to race to the same level of moral equivalency as Iran and even some who want the United States to emulate terrorist and follow in their footsteps.

Report: Iran executes 2 in torture deaths - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110206/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran - broken link)

Yet amid this controversy there are calls in the US to continue support of Mubarak's oppressive regime of torturing its citizens because, he is our friend.
Can you show me the association between Iranian guards killing people and our Abu guards who killed no one and how is the anti Bush rhetoric helps in the discussion of Iranian guards killing prisoners

Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
I had sent out a letter to several folks, Glenn Greenwald included along with Andrew Bacevich the other day on this very subject.

I enjoyed this excerpt.

While I would certainly consider Glenn to be Liberal, I noticed he had no problem in pointing out these inconsistencies with the Obama administration as well. I only wish the NY Times and Washington Post had such courage.

Great piece.
My 15 minutes of fame came when GG mentioned me by name in one of his books. I'm a big fan.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Can you show me the association between Iranian guards killing people and our Abu guards who killed no one and how is the anti Bush rhetoric helps in the discussion of Iranian guards killing prisoners
More to the point was that while people in the US and especially on this forum will point out evils of Iran, that Iran actually put those government officials who tortured protesters on trial and executed them. Meanwhile in the US, we continue to justify and use of torture at places like Bagram AFB in Afghanistan as well as using rendition flights to Egypt, where torture occurs under the watch of US personnel.

In expectation, I anticipated others to point out that we also put people on trial for torture, as I reference Lynndie England as an example. As expected, people then say Iran does this for propaganda purposes, yet I look at the case of Lynndie England and say, well there you go, the US using Lynndie England for propaganda purposes. It is American exceptionalism of do as I say, not as I do.

In a glaring example of parallels, those who were responsible for either ordering these things to be done or overseeing that they didn't occur, in both Iran and the United States are free to go on TV and brag, write books and grin at the camera.

However, we are exceptional, in that we believe our rationalizations are justified, while others are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies