Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times

Advertisements

Senate Democrats have quietly begun looking at ways to replace the federal mandate at the heart of ObamaCare, according to Politico, which calls the effort a “threat.” It might be intended as a last-ditch lifesaver:
Quote:
A handful of moderate Senate Democrats are looking for ways to roll back the highly contentious individual mandate — the pillar of President Barack Obama’s health care law — a sign that red-state senators are prepared to assert their independence ahead of the 2012 elections.
They haven’t decided whether to propose legislation, but any effort by moderate Democrats that takes aim at the individual mandate could embarrass Obama and embolden Republicans who are still maneuvering to take down the health care law.
Sure, it could give the GOP some momentum, but that’s not why the moderates are looking for Plan B now. The rulings from Florida and Virginia on the constitutionality of ObamaCare’s mandate has them worried that the courts might just overturn the whole enchilada, leaving Democrats empty-handed after the last two years. Those who have to face voters in 2012 are already looking at a rough ride; having ObamaCare disgraced before the election without any chance to rescue it will seal their fate.

In response, they are doing what the ideologues in their caucus refused to do, which is to look for legal ways to push taxpayers into buying health insurance. That won’t be easy to do, especially after rolling out the mandate and provoking the hostility of the electorate. Without the mandate or something very close to it, the rest of the bill won’t work; the must-issue mandates for pre-existing conditions will send insurers into bankruptcy, creating 300 million uninsured instead of 14 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
The DINOS have been against parts of the bill since day one, but Obama has been standing strong with his "Don't mess with my healthcare" stance. Major change wouldn't pass the senate, and even if it did O would veto it.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The DINOS have been against parts of the bill since day one, but Obama has been standing strong with his "Don't mess with my healthcare" stance. Major change wouldn't pass the senate, and even if it did O would veto it.

I hope Barry O does veto it and go against the will of the people. The sooner he's out of the picture the better for America.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
I agree. They should rid every republican idea in the health care reform, with the mandate on top of the list, and throw in public option instead.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I agree. They should rid every republican idea in the health care reform, with the mandate on top of the list, and throw in public option instead.
how by enslaving people to pay for others????? is it truly freedom, if you are forced to BUY insurance you don't want or need???? is it truly freedom to be forced to pay for someone else when they wont help themselves ???

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I agree and this is what most people want. The numbers show the majority of americans want the health care bill, but not as it stands now which is so loaded with pork for big insurance and completely privatized. It should be a single payer system or at least have the public option.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
This garbage that the current crop of Republicans are spewing against mandates for health insurance is nothing but a political ploy because they HAD to be against ANYTHING the President and the Democrats supported -- EVEN IF IT WAS THEIR OWN IDEA!
Obama health insurance requirement taken from GOP - USATODAY.com

"The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s."

. . .

In the 1990s, the Heritage Foundation,
a conservative think tank, embraced an individual requirement. Not anymore.

"
The idea of an individual mandate as an alternative to single-payer was a Republican idea," said health economist Mark Pauly of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. In 1991, he published a paper that explained how a mandate could be combined with tax credits -- two ideas that are now part of Obama's law. Pauly's paper was well-received -- by the George H.W. Bush administration."
And that's to say nothing of the fact that Mitt Romney (R) initiated an individual mandate in Massachusetts, which, to this day, newly-elected Massachusetts Senator Brown (R), proclaims, "helped us deal with the very real problem of uncompensated care."

And I'll bet you every penny I have, that if City Data had been around in the '90s, all the shriekers who are against the mandate now, would have been shrieking just as loudly for an individual mandate, because that's what their leaders were promoting.

Sheeple, sheeple, sheeple.

Hypocrites, hypocrites, hypocrites.

It's truly sickening to watch.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

how by enslaving people to pay for others????? is it truly freedom, if you are forced to BUY insurance you don't want or need???? is it truly freedom to be forced to pay for someone else when they wont help themselves ???
Well why should I be enslaved to pay for you, huh?
"The insured supported the voluntarily uninsured at the cost of $43 billion in 2008. Any microeconomics class teaches that a “personal responsibility tax” or individual mandate is a tax to off-set a negative externality, which otherwise is costing health insurance subscribers billions of dollars a year in increased premiums."

Individual Mandate Ensures Responsiblity of American Citizens | The Daily Nexus
Is it truly freedom to be forced to pay for someone else when they won't help themselves???

STOP ENSLAVING ME!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I see the words tax credits there to pay the premiums.......not the same as hiring a bunch of new IRS agents to FINE you if you don't shell out the money for health care premiums that you might not want to even have.

PS: Did you all already forget November 2, 2010???? That was a referendum on Health Care!!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
This garbage that the current crop of Republicans are spewing against mandates for health insurance is nothing but a political ploy because they HAD to be against ANYTHING the President and the Democrats supported -- EVEN IF IT WAS THEIR OWN IDEA!
Obama health insurance requirement taken from GOP - USATODAY.com

"The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s."

. . .

In the 1990s, the Heritage Foundation,
a conservative think tank, embraced an individual requirement. Not anymore.

"
The idea of an individual mandate as an alternative to single-payer was a Republican idea," said health economist Mark Pauly of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. In 1991, he published a paper that explained how a mandate could be combined with tax credits -- two ideas that are now part of Obama's law. Pauly's paper was well-received -- by the George H.W. Bush administration."
And that's to say nothing of the fact that Mitt Romney (R) initiated an individual mandate in Massachusetts, which, to this day, newly-elected Massachusetts Senator Brown (R), proclaims, "helped us deal with the very real problem of uncompensated care."

And I'll bet you every penny I have, that if City Data had been around in the '90s, all the shriekers who are against the mandate now, would have been shrieking just as loudly for an individual mandate, because that's what their leaders were promoting.

Sheeple, sheeple, sheeple.

Hypocrites, hypocrites, hypocrites.

It's truly sickening to watch.
Actually, I remember the debate quite well from the Clinton years. As a R, we were horrified that the Clinton's would propose "socialized health care" and this plan was considered to be the more free market response--and it included the mandate. The mandate was backed by most R leadership and the Heritage Foundation. How times change.

Republicans once supported the individual mandate - National populist | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies