Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What does a 90 yr old frail and half blind geezer need with a school?

To train his nurse?
Yes, actually.

More to the point, they conveniently forget how other people's taxes helped get their kids through school.

Now it's their turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yes, actually.

More to the point, they conveniently forget how other people's taxes helped get their kids through school.

Now it's their turn.
Yes, and no !

Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
This is a somber day for Florida, when there are so many other places where cuts could be made.
If FL teachers are anything like NJ teachers then they need to PAY for their OWN HC, agree to scale back on the lavish pensions and benefits that are causing a sea of red ink for the states.

In NJ, the teachers weren't paying a DIME for their own (including family) HC and then squawked when asked to pay 1.5%. This is outrageous and if the FL teachers union refuses to scale back the lavish pay, pensions, benefits they are getting, well, get ready for some layoffs.

How much DO they pay for their own HC?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
If FL teachers are anything like NJ teachers then they need to PAY for their OWN HC, agree to scale back on the lavish pensions and benefits that are causing a sea of red ink for the states.

In NJ, the teachers weren't paying a DIME for their own (including family) HC and then squawked when asked to pay 1.5%. This is outrageous and if the FL teachers union refuses to scale back the lavish pay, pensions, benefits they are getting, well, get ready for some layoffs.

I wouldn't exactly consider FL teachers do have lavish pay. They are pretty much middle of the road as far as teacher salaries.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
FL isn't NJ about unions.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
FL isn't NJ about unions.
Just a comparison of the UNFAIR practices of union actions.

How much do FL teachers pay into their pensions and benefits?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:

Florida teacher benefits are not anything like those of NJ teachers. I know because my immediate family members are Florida teachers and my extended family members are NJ teachers.

1. Salaries - NJ teachers top out at around $100K/yr, and that's without an advanced degree. A very few Florida teachers - those who work in the big cities of S. FL, Tampa, or Jacksonville - might top out at the high 60s.

2. Health ins. - Is negotiated by county. In S. Fl, a teacher's medical coverage is paid, all other health benefits, including dental and vision are out of pocket, as is dependent coverage.

3. Retirement benefits - NJ teachers calculate their pension as [(years of service)/55] * avg. final compensation (AFC). FL teachers is [(1.6 * yrs of service) * AFC]. For 30 years of service, a NJ teacher gets 54.5%; a FL teacher gets 48%. A NJ teacher's AFC can be close to $100K; a FL teacher is lucky to have an AFC of $50K. NJ teacher retirees pay NOTHING for health benefits (this year they had to start paying Dental); FL teacher retirees get $150 Health Insurance Subsidy (HIS) and everything else is out of pocket. It is almost certain that the HIS will be eliminated during this year's legislative session.

4. The Florida Retirement System (FRS) is FULLY FUNDED and is one of the best in the nation. A recent Pew report:
Quote:
In 2000, just over half the states had fully funded pension systems. By 2006, that number had shrunk to six states. By 2008, only four—Florida, New York, Washington and Wisconsin—could make that claim. The Trillion Dollar Gap - The Pew Center on the States
NJ's retirement system is a mess.

Suffice it to say that Florida teachers do NOT enjoy "lavish pay, pensions, and benefits" and, if Florida is floating in a sea of red ink, it is NOT due to its indulgence of the teacher's union.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: rude/personal attack

Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Just a comparison of the UNFAIR practices of union actions.

How much do FL teachers pay into their pensions and benefits?
Currently, FL teachers do not pay anything into their pensions. Before 1970, they contributed 4% of their salaries. During my 37 years of teaching, it was the one perk that I could flaunt to friends who frequently told me that I was crazy to stay in the classroom, when I could be making so much more money in the private sector.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well, what needs to come before gutting any state programs is a decrease in administrative costs for the state, like the bloated public sector unions and their lavish pay, pensions and benefits.

Wow! Only 5%? Why not 10 or 20%

Attracting business by lowering the tax rate is also a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Another talking point, lifted from Becksonian economics? What, exactly, do you know about Florida's "bloated public sector unions and their lavish pay, pensions, and benefits?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'd like to hear the answer to that, myself.
I guess now we know - absolutely nothing!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,958 times
Florida teacher benefits are not anything like those of NJ teachers. I know because my immediate family members are Florida teachers and my extended family members are NJ teachers.

1. Salaries - NJ teachers top out at around $100K/yr, and that's without an advanced degree. A very few Florida teachers - those who work in the big cities of S. FL, Tampa, or Jacksonville - might top out at the high 60s.

2. Health ins. - Is negotiated by county. In S. Fl, a teacher's medical coverage is paid, all other health benefits, including dental and vision are out of pocket, as is dependent coverage.

3. Retirement benefits - NJ teachers calculate their pension as [(years of service)/55] * avg. final compensation (AFC). FL teachers is [(1.6 * yrs of service) * AFC]. For 30 years of service, a NJ teacher gets 54.5%; a FL teacher gets 48%. A NJ teacher's AFC can be close to $100K; a FL teacher is lucky to have an AFC of $50K. NJ teacher retirees pay NOTHING for health benefits (this year they had to start paying Dental); FL teacher retirees get $150 Health Insurance Subsidy (HIS) and everything else is out of pocket. It is almost certain that the HIS will be eliminated during this year's legislative session.

4. The Florida Retirement System (FRS) is FULLY FUNDED and is one of the best in the nation. A recent Pew report: NJ's retirement system is a mess.

Suffice it to say that Florida teachers do NOT enjoy "lavish pay, pensions, and benefits" and, if Florida is floating in a sea of red ink, it is NOT due to its indulgence of the teacher's union.[/quote]

THANK YOU. Hopefully that person will learn something if he/she reads your post.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies