Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Currently, FL teachers do not pay anything into their pensions. Before 1970, they contributed 4% of their salaries. During my 37 years of teaching, it was the one perk that I could flaunt to friends who frequently told me that I was crazy to stay in the classroom, when I could be making so much more money in the private sector.
Well now, isn't that so nice for them? Not a dime of their own money into their pensions - crap like this has to change. There is NO ONE I have heard in the private sector that receives such "lavish" pensions and benefits - all on the taxpayer's dime.

Quote:
It would be nice if just ONCE you knew what you were talking about BEFORE posting.

2. Health ins. - Is negotiated by county. In S. Fl, a teacher's medical coverage is paid, all other health benefits, including dental and vision are out of pocket, as is dependent coverage.
Well now, that's why I asked the question - if benefits are anything like the lavish, basically FREE benefits enjoyed by NJ teachers.

WHY should this be so (in the bold)? Why should teachers in FL, or anywhere else, get FREE health care (for them and their family I take it) paid for by the taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well now, isn't that so nice for them? Not a dime of their own money into their pensions - crap like this has to change. There is NO ONE I have heard in the private sector that receives such "lavish" pensions and benefits - all on the taxpayer's dime.

Well now, that's why I asked the question - if benefits are anything like the lavish, basically FREE benefits enjoyed by NJ teachers.

WHY should this be so (in the bold)? Why should teachers in FL, or anywhere else, get FREE health care (for them and their family I take it) paid for by the taxpayers?
So you've never heard of the multi-multi million dollar bonuses and stock options, etc., for the private sector CEOs? Those things sound like "lavish pensions and benefits" to me.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
So you've never heard of the multi-multi million dollar bonuses and stock options, etc., for the private sector CEOs? Those things sound like "lavish pensions and benefits" to me.
Private is the key word - not on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

You just added "all on the taxpayer's dime" as an after thought. How many people out here work for private companies and have benefits from the public sector for the work they do as employees of private companies? Huh?

You said: "There is NO ONE I have heard in the private sector that receives such "lavish" pensions and benefits"

People who work for the public sector receive salaries, and sometimes pensions and benefits from the public sector.........taxpayers because they work directly FOR THE TAX PAYERS.

I mean it's just stupid to say that no one in the private sector receives such "lavish" pensions and benefits on the tax payers dime when they WORK FOR THE PRIVATE SECTOR.

Yes, the private sector has far more "lavish" pensions and benefits for some of their employees than the public sector provides for their employees.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:

I clearly stated that Florida teachers pay for their dependent coverage.

To whom are you comparing teachers when you are discussing benefits? Almost all of my professional friends get employer paid health insurance as a benefit. Most also get dental and vision. Paid health insurance is not "lavish," it is a basic benefit that is offered to professionals in many fields.

So, you don't like the fact that FL teachers do not contribute to their very modest pensions. That particular benefit has been touted by recruiters for years as compensation for Florida's low teacher salaries. It has been advertised for years as a major incentive for teachers to come to Florida to start their careers. Florida teachers are not being unreasonable when protesting this change - many have worked for years at low salaries in exchange for a pension that was promised to them when they signed their contracts. AND there is no reason for sounding the alarm about the FRS - it is fully funded; last year it took in more in contributions than it disbursed in benefits. Read the link I provided - the Pew report states that at the present time, the FRS can meet its obligations for the next 30 years.

Just curious - what is your occupation?

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is extremely sad, I just read the entire thread and there was minimal outrage about the loss of teachers this budget proposes.
Why should there be any outrage? There's no evidence that small class sizes improve measured educational attainment. None. Not in Florida, not in California, not in New Jersey, and not in any other state where the small class size fetish took hold. The teacher's unions that pushed for that played parents for suckers and got handsomely rewarded for it. Fire a bunch of teachers, along with a bunch more overpaid and useless school bureaucrats.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
So you've never heard of the multi-multi million dollar bonuses and stock options, etc., for the private sector CEOs?
What does CEO compensation have to do with anything. First, it's private. Doesn't cost me a dime. Second, comparing CEOs to regular folks is a fraudulent comparison. Compared to regular private sector employees, teachers do indeed get a lavish benefits package, but their pay isn't notably lower than the regular people who pay the taxes their compensation is taken from.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
What does CEO compensation have to do with anything. First, it's private. Doesn't cost me a dime. Second, comparing CEOs to regular folks is a fraudulent comparison. Compared to regular private sector employees, teachers do indeed get a lavish benefits package, but their pay isn't notably lower than the regular people who pay the taxes their compensation is taken from.
Please provide some stats to back up this statement.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
So, you don't like the fact that FL teachers do not contribute to their very modest pensions. That particular benefit has been touted by recruiters for years as compensation for Florida's low teacher salaries.
I constantly hear whining from teachers that they get low pay. I wish I knew where they get their "facts", because it isn't true. Average starting salary for a teacher in Florida: $33.4k. Average salary: $43.3k. Average annual pay, all occupations: $39.4k. Teachers get paid more on average than the people who pay their salaries, about 10% more, on top of said pension benefits and tons of vacation time.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
You said you read through the thread but you missed this explanation of the thing you're questioning? the poster sanrene stated she had never heard of private sector employees receiving such lavish pensions and benefits as teachers. See below.

//www.city-data.com/forum/17852987-post164.html

Obviously you've never had a good professional position in the private sector. The benefits given to public sector people is the best that the public sector can offer in order to attract people to those jobs because the overall pay cannot compete with the private sector.

Does your name, randian, indicate that you are an Ayn Rand devotee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies