Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM

4,522 posts, read 4,066,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Where should they go? Straight to hell.

If a student is disruptive and not interested in education, they should not be in school. When and if they graduate, they will be a failure to society anyway, so kicking them out early would do little to society.

I really wonder why "society" spends so much time and money worrying about these disruptive losers. They simply erode the educational experience for those kids who have a chance. Get rid of the loser and let the students learn. Most of these losers are destined for prison anyway and trying to educate them is a waste of time and money.
Given your attitude I'm surprised you don't just think they should be executed and ground up into puppy chow.

Most kids with bad attitudes are a reflection of crappy parents. Note that I said most, not all.

The problem is with divorce rates, and single parent households skyrocketing as well as a dramatic increase in the number of dual income households, kids take the back burner.

I can think of very few model students that had parents that were apathetic. On the other hand I can think of almost every pain in the neck student that I had and they had parents that didn't care, or they felt that if their kid was a problem, it was automatically the teachers fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,084,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is no surprise. We home schooled our daughters. They always outperformed their public school couterparts by a huge margin. They always scored in the high 90's (percentile) on the standardized tests.
And I went to the public schools and scored in the upper one percentile. And I was very difficult, got expelled a couple of times, except for the last year of high school where I decided I wanted to go to college and got 16 regents credits in NY in one year and was a National Merit semi-finalist.

So I was a lot smarter and scored better on the tests than your daughters.

I would also point out that where I was educated had very little to do with that.

The rub with all this is the subjects are not all the same. The range all over the map. Did you do a good job home schooling? How would you know? Was one or more of your children brilliant enough that they would have shone like a star in a high class competitive environment? Could they have had close to perfect SATs in the right environ?

How do you know?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,205,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
But you just did in the first part of your post.
There are articles and stats that discuss salary and benefits for catholic school teachers.
That's a little different from both your faux "article" and opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
This is no surprise. We home schooled our daughters. They always outperformed their public school couterparts by a huge margin. They always scored in the high 90's (percentile) on the standardized tests.
"always" makes your comment false.
Anecdote doesn't equal data.
Yes, we know that some people's kids are special. Listen to the intro to Lake Wobegone on Prairie Home Companion.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-09-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,663,871 times
Doesn't this have more to do with private versus public rather than Catholic versus public? Having done all, the attributes of Catholic schools are the same as any decent secular private school, though the kids are usually better behaved and have better morals at the secular schools. A lot more violence and rebellion in the Catholic schools in my experience.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,890,110 times
I went to catholic school from grades K-8. Ugh. I feel so bad my parents' money was wasted. Would rather had some extra useful classes than learning about fairytales and being told lies and trained to be a bigot.
Awful experience. Private NON RELIGION school is the way to go, IMO.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,877,217 times
Okay this is just an anecdote, but it is true.

My best friend Mary and all her siblings were educated in Catholic schools, and she says that her education was a better one than can be had in the public schools. She guesses that the teachers (Nuns) were stricter and the schools had better discipline.

On the other hand, going to a Catholic school was something of a trauma for Mary, and also her boyfriend Dan (also raised Catholic) with whom she has lived with many years. Since graduating high school many years ago she and Dan have not set foot inside a Catholic church and neither consider themselves Catholics any more.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,890,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay this is just an anecdote, but it is true.

My best friend Mary and all her siblings were educated in Catholic schools, and she says that her education was a better one than can be had in the public schools. She guesses that the teachers (Nuns) were stricter and the schools had better discipline.

On the other hand, going to a Catholic school was something of a trauma for Mary, and also her boyfriend Dan (also raised Catholic) with whom she has lived with many years. Since graduating high school many years ago she and Dan have not set foot inside a Catholic church and neither consider themselves Catholics any more.
I see you are from Philadelphia? Me too. If it was St Monica's school.. then... yes.. lol

I am a recovering catholic and have been making great progress. I can't even go near a church without rolling my eyes and feeling that my mind has been violated.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,258,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are articles and stats that discuss salary and benefits for catholic school teachers.
That's a little different from both your faux "article" and opinion.

"always" makes your comment false.
Anecdote doesn't equal data.
Yes, we know that some people's kids are special. Listen to the intro to Lake Wobegone on Prairie Home Companion.
Then I guess YOUR comments are false too.

"When I went to school, both parochial and public schools were equal.
We had A, B, C divisions; they had it in the public schools, too.

I taught in the public school system. Parents whined about their poor babies having to study and compete. They demanded dumbing down of curriculum to meet the lowest common denominator, not pushing all students to excel. Excellence in sports is not equal to excellence in education.

Often. Hardly. Some schools may, but someone's always paying the bill."

Last edited by maja; 02-09-2011 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: quotation marks added

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Doesn't this have more to do with private versus public rather than Catholic versus public? Having done all, the attributes of Catholic schools are the same as any decent secular private school, though the kids are usually better behaved and have better morals at the secular schools. A lot more violence and rebellion in the Catholic schools in my experience.
My experience, too.

But 40 years after graduating from high school, I would still be proud to spend time with most of the members of my graduating class.
We were a tight knit group.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Then I guess YOUR comments are false too.

"When I went to school, both parochial and public schools were equal.
We had A, B, C divisions; they had it in the public schools, too.

I taught in the public school system. Parents whined about their poor babies having to study and compete. They demanded dumbing down of curriculum to meet the lowest common denominator, not pushing all students to excel. Excellence in sports is not equal to excellence in education.

Often. Hardly. Some schools may, but someone's always paying the bill."
What the heck are you talking about.
Are you saying that private schooling is free? There are always costs borne by someone.
For everything in life.

The rest of your post makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies