Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Many people say hard working, intelligent people will become rich. Usually they use it defend the fact top 1% of people in US own most of wealth in the USA. However, the FACT is most hard working, smart people will not get rich.

There are about 50 million people (or 27% of the US population) with BA degree or above. I would assume most of these people are intelligent and hard working. However, there are only 7.9 millionaires in the US (about 2.5% of population), which means most of these hard working people are not rich. This doesn't even consider becoming super rich billionaires, there are only 403 billionaires of them in United States. Most intelligent, hard working people will find it impossible to join the ranks of the rich.

I would think the posters/people who keep on sayings smarts and hard work leads to riches are themselves intelligent and hard working. Question is how many of them, if any, are actually millionaires? I would guess only a very few!
I would assume you don't have BA or you would realize that by attaining such a degree in no way confers intelligence.

I would say that only 1% of the country is smart and hardworking enough to become rich. Not every single person in the top 1% fit that description, but the vast majority do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
"You'll never get rich working for someone else".... Not my line but I love it.

Very few of these people are going to make the sacrifice, most successful people in business have worked very long and hard hours for many years to attain their wealth. 70 hours a week is common.
Not to mention most people don't have the confidence to risk everything on their own business.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You don't need it both ways......

Make your own luck and disregard the negativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Again if you look at the data, class mobility has decreased over time. It's not about effort. It should be a meritocracy, but it's not. It's ironic that conservatives push policies that lead us further and further away from a meritocracy...but still want the whole legend of bootstraps. You can't have it both ways.
meritocracy = mediocracy and I don't want people to be mediocre.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.

And everyone thinks they work hard.
But if they knew what working hard really was, they'd running screaming from the hills.
Them hillbillys are lazy.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I tend to agree. There are countless examples of successful people who never finished/attended college. I think the key ingredients are drive and determination to either rise above your circumstances or create something really awesome that the world needs (eg., Bill Gates, Windows platform). But its important to be smart AND work hard.
Well to be fair Gates dropped out of Harvard so he was pretty bright to begin with.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Well this depends on what one's diefination of Rich is. What is wrong with a comfortable lifestyle very comfortable, where you are not lacking for anything, and can pay bills on time, and live a nice life. Well if you want to define Rich, i have a brother and Son, who are definitely not lacking in anything, worked dang hard, have all the degrees, have a very good job, and yes, get paid really really good. A million dollar home is not all that by today's standards, but my Brother does own one, so what, what does this all mean. Means nothing to me, because money can go at anytime. If you get sick, or lose a job, what then happens. I rather live a very comfortable life style which my husband and i do. So does my Son. You can have all the money in the world, and be a very lonely sad person. I again know and are friends with some wealthy millionaires, to me it means nothing, they have more then I who cares, i don't. I have everything i want in life, 3 homes, nice cars, great kids, grandkids, and a lot of love which by the way money cannot buy!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
It's not always about money. For me it was about lifestyle. I wanted to work at something different that I enjoyed and that's what I did. My irrepressible inclination is to take charge, rise to challenges, and solve problems. It might have been way more work and way more risk but lead to a very interesting life.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hard work makes you rich. Yeah, right.
Wello Gre if you work 10 hours a day digging ditches for someone else you'll be working hard but don't expect to get rich.

As far as your own business any business is a gamble.

Quote:
Driller - I thought I did because my clients were recieving government tax credits on their investnments. When Raygun took them away so did my clients.
Pretty good example of why you shouldn't depend on the government for your livehood isn't it? I had customers on government assistance but I would have been nuts to depend on it...

Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It's not always about money. For me it was about lifestyle. I wanted to work at something different that I enjoyed and that's what I did. My irrepressible inclination is to take charge, rise to challenges, and solve problems. It might have been way more work and way more risk but lead to a very interesting life.

And that's why a lot of people are not rich. They don't have the desire and are not prepared to make the sacrifices.

But the opportunity is there now and has been for decades, if you want it badly enough.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well the current administration has defined "rich" as $200K/year individual and $250K/year couple so I'm sure there's lots of rich folks out there that didn't even realize they were rich until the government decided that people making those salaries were "rich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies