Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times

Advertisements

Great legislation. I wish all states did it. It is a passing lane, if your not passing , move over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,707,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Great legislation. I wish all states did it. It is a passing lane, if your not passing , move over.

I 100% agree. There is nothing more dangerous than forcing people to have to pass on the right. There is the speed limit and then there is the "flow of traffic" which is different.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
agreed. last year i drove from manchester, england to london. basically a 2 lane highway the entire time. the only time people went in the left lane was to pass then got back in the right. best driving experience of my life.
This is characteristic of virtually ALL other civillized countries.

The safer flow of traffic should be the major consideration but instead we get all this other bumph thrown in with dabs of arrogance and false outrage added for good measure.

I'm driving the legal limit so I have the right to camp in any lane I choose. Yep; if you're an arrogant A-hole with no thought beyond your own personal satisfaction level."

I purposely camp in the left lane to avoid all the folks entering via the on ramps from my right This one explains why so many in the U.S. have lost that masterly art of merging. Should be simple but apparently the word is missing from all your dictionary's.

I deliberately drive the limit in the left lane to ensure all those attempting to speed are forced to slow down. Well; Dudley; I guess you missed the memo that explained why speed limits were established in the first place; SAFTEY! you've now taken it upon yourself to undo decades of factual information that clearly shows it's not the speed that causes accidents but the "speed differential". You've now foolishly created that little island in the stream that will surely result in a bottlenck and in someone being hurt or even killed behind you but you don't give a rat's patoot because you weren't impacted and you've done your part to uphold the law, content in the arrogant belief that you are of superior intellect and moral standing while blithely creating carnage in your wake.

Get a life people and travel the speed lane that is comfortable for you and let the rest of the motoring public do the same.

Passing; use the left - PASSING lane, no longer passing; move the hell over and stop with the phony indignation at all those others breaking the law. You're just giving your frustration at your little meaningless life being largely out of your control a vent and you've found a way to exact your idiotic revenge.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-02-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,423,860 times
A warning from the officer would have been more civil. But then so is courteously yielding, sharing the road with swifter drivers.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
So what's the point of speed limits if the cops are just gonna treat them as more of a gentle suggestion?
Cops already treat speed limits as a guideline to be enforced depending on circumstances (weather, time of day, school zone, etc.), who's driving what kind of car, or their own mood. Strict enforcement of speed limits would cause more civil unrest than war.

I vaguely recall a police department using strict enforcement of driving laws as a tool to get a city to the bargaining table. It worked.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,149 times
Let's just accommodate law breakers some more. Such policy has been working so well in so many places.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)
Actually you are obstructing traffic if you are going the exact speed limit or less in the left lane which is the 'passing lane'. Hence the reason it is called the "passing lane", it should be used to pass a vehicle at a slightly higher rate of speed. Once safely past the vehicle, move into the right lane and proceed at the posted speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies